No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just use some Simple Green, warm water, and a good brush. Looks like you might have an oil leak in there some place though so clean it up real good and pay attention as you run it over the next few weeks.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's a long way from running....that is for sure, she is being stripped down to the frame, all will be redone and cleaned and then put back together...

Well I think I might know the cause of the leak, could be from here, I think this is the gear indicator interface.

and when I undid the 2 screws holding it in place, the oil just started coming out...

it's OK, had to come out anyways, at one end or another....LOL

found this as well, guess it activates the light on the dash so you know the kick stand is up

And the only thing I really did was remove the cam chain tensioner, and the sprocket, now about the sprocket, once I bent the ear back up on that large washer I was able to remove the nut no problem, it was actually kinda loose, and it came off easy, didn't hold the brake, or have it in gear, would this be normal ?

the nice and shiny cam chain tensioner

Comment

No not normal and very dangerous in my opinion as although that washer is supposed to keep the nut from moving, it should be tightened properly since it could allow the sprockets to move around on you. You'll want to torque that back down to spec and then fold over the tabs on the locking washer.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks....it was not going to fall off or anything like that, but I am glad I found this issue, now when it goes back together, as you say it can be torqued to spec and it will be safe...

Comment

Scott is right, it is not normal and comes from the nut not being torqued properly, usually when someone does a chain and sprocket replacment on thier own with no one to hold the rear brake, they dump it into gear, but it will only hold it so much before it turns the motor over.
            Don't know why they didn't just put a left hand thread on it so it tightens with rotation instead of loosening?
            Here is a little tip for you, if you find yourelf having to tighten it on your own with no one to hold the back brake;
            your rear brake lever has a little screw and lock nut that you can use to adjust the free play, loosen the lock nut, stomp on the brake as hard as you can, while you are holding it down, screw the set screw out to hold the lever there.....brakes locked, torque to your hearts content.
            You can also put a piece of wood like a 2X4 through the wheel to lock up against the swing arm.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, they will come in handy, once the bike starts being put back together.

Soon we will pull the motor out, and then it needs a good cleaning, and painting, put on the shelf, and then work on the rest, frame painting, cover polishing, sanding and painting of the fairings and tank, and the rims need attention as well.....swing arm, forks, ohhhhhhhhh boy

Boy there is still lots to go

Comment

Hey guys, what are your thoughts.....

the bike does not have a center stand, would it beneficial to locate one and put it on, or is it an expense that I don't need, the bike has a 4-1 Yosh pipe, so maybe that is why it don't have one in the first place ? Maybe it did have one, and the PO removed it, I don't know, never met the guy.

Comment

Center stands only work with stock exhaust and poorly designed headers that don't improve anything.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Center stands only work with stock exhaust and poorly designed headers that don't improve anything.

Daniel
                    Don't know about the Yosh pipe but mine is OK with the stand

Not the best pic but the right side stand spring needed to go to the left.A U clamp with a washer welded on is where it attaches.Think all my "extra" stands are gone

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Daniel
                      I hear ya, but I think the Yosh pipe that is on it could be original, I didn't put it on, it was there when I got the bike, but who knows what the PO did or did not do, but I doubt he spent the money on the pipe, he typically didn't have two nickles to rub together.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        Don't know about the Yosh pipe but mine is OK with the stand

Not the best pic but the right side stand spring needed to go to the left.A U clamp with a washer welded on is where it attaches.Think all my "extra" stands are gone
                        I was only thinking about the center stand, for those times that the bike will be in storage, and or like now, when I have to remove the rear wheel, and the front, but hey the rest is coming out so it wouldn't be on the stand for long anyways....

Thanks for thinking of me, on any "extra's" you might have had.....

Comment

If it is the same exhaust as mine and it looks like it is, you cannot have the centerstand on the bike with the pipe on it. It is possible to make the stand fit on with the rear half of the exhaust removed if you modify the stand. (the center section) And if it is like mine, you also have to remove the pipe in order to change the oil filter...
                          Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            Thanks for thinking of me, on any "extra's" you might have had.....
                            The last one I had was sold before you joined.I'll look and see but............

Comment

No worries mate....

I am no great need for it, and who knows if it will work, because of the Yosh pipe, wouldn't want to get it and find it no workie......

I will try to see if I can find one locally....

Actually heading out now, to a place I remember being around a long time ago, gonna go and see if they are still in business, probably closed as it's Sunday, but just curious if they are even still around.....

Comment

Little story,went to see if my favorite wrecker guy was still around.Been a few years because I had a new SV and didn't need stuff.Store was something else when I got there.Quite disappointed,the guy was really nice.Weird to but not in a creepy way.Learn later that he died.Of all people my oil delivery guy told me.Only 1 place left here,not a very good one either

Comment

Working...
                                X