No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I just got back,,,,found the place, still around "Bent Bikes" only open 2 days a week, Friday and Saturday, or by Appointment.....I was shocked to see it still in business, going to have to go and see them next week, so how the inside is doing, from the outside, it looks really bad, but then again it never really looked all that good to begin with....

So I hit up my next favorite place to pick up some small items, to help out on the build, walked out 80 bucks poorer, but hey, so far it's the most I have spent in one shot....LOL

So I have the appliance paint, saw this from SVSooke, Thanks, going to do the frame with that, and probably all other parts, except the calipers, for that I did get the caliper paint. I did get the primer, was going to shoot the frame with that first, would that be a good thing, that is of course after it's been cleaned and sanded.

The chain lube was on special, couldn't pass up on it.

Varsol for parts cleaning, and a new parts cleaning brush...

Ohhh ya the paint remover, going to use it on the gas tank ? I hope it's strong enough to eat away at all the factory stuff, clear coat, and paint.

Well going to go and get ready to do some work, got to get the son up, gonna give him another hour or so, he got in from work this morning just after 4 a.m.

and the large freezer bags, well that is for parts that get removed, can't lose anything out of them once I seal the bag....

Comment

Check the can,Rust-oleum says no primer
      Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2011, 12:52 PM.

Comment

good point, will do.....

It says use primer on bare and new metal, or to cover up dark colors, allow primer to dry for 2 hours...

Hmmm so if I don't go to bare metal, no primer needed, I will only spot primer then the areas I have gone to bare metal, let dry and paint.

It also says I cannot do a second coat unless I sand the first to at least remove the shine.....good to know as well

Hey it pays to read the Instructions once in a while....
        Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          good point, will do.....
          Better with 2 cans as well.One can did a coat on Old Yeller but the Skunk frame got 2 coats.Much better IMHO.

Comment

did you sand/scuff in between coats ? I will have to, but a light sanding shouldn't take too long to do....I wonder if hitting it with some baking soda (soda blasting) after the first coat would be an OK way to take the sheen off, and would be OK then to do a 2nd coat.

That could save a bit of time, and sanding by hand

Comment

Hit them both with a wire wheel on my angle grinder then a coat of rust converter.Any paint left was painted over.Sanded just to tooth and smooth it a bit.Nothing between coats.

Comment

I love shopping for bike stuff, just wish I could afford more of it, I am one of those who has to leave the credit card at home when I go anywhere near a bike shop or industrial supplies shop.
                can't wait to see the progress, watching with interest.

Comment

Hey Flyboy,,,I am about the same, gonna just go get one thing, and come out with at least 4...

Thanks for the interest in the thread, ya I know this is the boring part, but it has to get done, and I am not only doing it for my self but for anyone else deciding to take this kind of project on, hopefully the pics can help even in a small way.

Another few hours at it, which will take a week at least, she will be fully stripped, and then the fun begins, painting, polishing, and adding all those new hex bolts, plus new mirrors, handle bar grips, and what ever else my budget allows me to get.

Biggest items will be new tires, those must be replaced

Cheers

Comment

OK,,,,I am stumped

How the heck do I get the chain off ???????????????

I don't see a connecting link on the chain, is this normal, is this how they come, I must have gone around and around a dozen times I still don't see it

I checked the shop manual, but it only tells me about maintenance of the chain, I need to get it removed, want to clean and inspect it too see if I need a new one or not.....

HELP please

Comment

No clip?You probaly have yourself a rivet link chain.Only way to get it off is removing the swingarm.Stronger sure,PITA to get off for sure.

Comment

Great,,,,,Thanks

Any thoughts, should I keep it, or get a new one, it seems to be only dirty, no rust, and it doesn't seem to be binding, but until I get it cleaned I really won't know, just weighing out my options

Comment

No worries mate....

I am no great need for it, and who knows if it will work, because of the Yosh pipe, wouldn't want to get it and find it no workie......

I will try to see if I can find one locally....

Actually heading out now, to a place I remember being around a long time ago, gonna go and see if they are still in business, probably closed as it's Sunday, but just curious if they are even still around.....
                          I may have one if you don't come up with one locally.

Comment

Great,,,,,Thanks

Any thoughts, should I keep it, or get a new one, it seems to be only dirty, no rust, and it doesn't seem to be binding, but until I get it cleaned I really won't know, just weighing out my options
                            Spend that money only if you need to.Skunk chain's shot,have to get one.If you are not using it again you could just grind a pin and drive it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                              I may have one if you don't come up with one locally.
                              Thanks, I will keep you in mind.....

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                              Spend that money only if you need to.Skunk chain's shot,have to get one.If you are not using it again you could just grind a pin and drive it out.
                              Once I have it off, I will clean and then check it out, as per the manual, see if any wear is in it, or excessive stretching, I wouldn't mind getting one of those gold colored chains, or something with some stainless steel shine to it, but no need to spend money where I don't need to.

Comment

Don't worry, my boring pqart of my rebuild lasted 18 months, and I am not sure it is over yet.
                                Being a firm shaft convert, it is years since I owned a bike with that pre-historic form of power transmission to the rear wheel that involves a lot of little links strung together, so little be it for me to question Greg but I am not too sure about a continuous chain being stronger than one with a master link, as I recall you can buy a chain breaker, which is not too expensive, which allows you to break the chain as well as rejoin it again, so no need to remove the swing arm. Just ask at a reputable bike shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X