No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't have a breaker so I forget about themLet's not get into the shaft vs chain debate.Both have they're place.

Comment

Well since the whole thing is coming out/apart, down to the frame, it's all good, I will remove it when the time comes, I just to heck I remember to put it back on first before I do all the other parts of the suspension and the rear wheel....

I was thinking of grinding one of the links off as well, but will wait to see the condition first, if it's good I will leave it as is...

Thanks for the input guys....

I've only had chain driven bikes, so I wont'/can't get into the debate anyways....

Comment

Hey Greg, you have some of the nicest bikes on the board, so all is good, you not having a chain breaker is like me not having a bench grinder or bench vice, we make do.
        And I agree, the whole shaft versus chain debate is old and goes nowhere, its a silly argument, everyone knows the girls prefer a big shaft.

Hijack off.

Comment

Well, tonight I was on my own, my son is at work, and won't be home until 4 a.m., same as last night, so he is tired and sleeps in, I am at work, and our schedules just don't jive...ohhhh well

So I was a bit bored and figured I might as well dive in and continue with the removal of parts, let me tell you, it's now at the point of no return, for sure, heck I pulled out her spine, brain, neurons, starter, and drained her of her fluids, almost at the point of removing her heart

I will let the pictures tell the story of tonight's enjoyment....

out came the cooler

the coils, should I keep the stock wires, and caps, is it worth while to get new wires, I like the yellow ones, or leave as is

the starter, looking good for an old guy....

the electrical control, nice and clean, so it seems

I guess this is still good

next was the brain, well the instrument cluster.....along with the spine, OK the wiring harness, have to pull this apart a bit to clean the plexi

as of now, this really won't do much, well it can still lock out the steering

and her she sits, almost naked as the day she was started....well almost

As I said, I am really at the point of no return now, no going back at this stage, or putting things back, it's full steam ahead, have to find me something I can put her on, so I can get the front and rear wheels off, so I can at least work on the rotors, and rims a bit, need the swing arm out, to get at the chain, then put those few pieces back remove the engine, and then strip her down to the frame.....soon, very soon, I hope....want her stripped down the week before Christmas, have the week off from work and figure I can get to cleaning and polishing parts, working on the plastics and tank, and get things ready for reassembly.....

I will ask, even though it's soon, but once I have the engine out, what is the best method for cleaning, brush, wire wheel, simple green, soda blasting, etc......need her clean so I can repaint, I really don't want to break down the engine as well, or will I need to......?

Cheers

DAn
          Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2011, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Wow, you have been making headway there, nice.
            The easiest way to remove the motor and refit it for that matter, is to leave it till last, when you have a bare frame, turn it onto and lay it on its side, and lift the frame off the engine.
            Much easier than trying to man handle it out and throwing your back.
            Same with installing it again, lay it on its side, drop the bare frame down over it.
            As for cleaning, a bucket of simple green, stiff brushes and a whole lot of time should get her looking like new.
            no need to tear it down if you are not media blasting, and that is not required.

Comment

music to my ears.....

Comment

Everything Stan said but I like the Canadian Tire citrus engine degreaser.Simple Green will work but degreaser works better.

Comment

Thanks....

Seems there is some other paint on the engine, maybe the PO was trying to hide something, or whatever, but it looks like flat black paint, once I start scrubbing I guess I will see what it actually is.

Comment

I am not a happy guy......was going to clean this up a bit, sort of dropped it, and now the lens is cracked, for the love of Pete.....how do I take this thing apart so I can replace the lens, that little knob that resets the trip, I can't figure on how to take it off so I can get at the lens, I have taken the back off and the 6 small screws, but how does this knob come off ?

This is not a good way to start tonight, I knew I should have continued with the swing arm and the mono shock and chain.....

Comment

I figured it out, just pull really hard on knob.......figures

Well it looks like it's one piece, the glass itself don't come off on it's own, probably glued into the bezel......short of really breaking it apart, anyone have a better suggestion, or perhaps a new bezel with the glass intact ??????????

Need the knob as well, with the little rubber seal, or just the rubber seal itself
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Somewhere in GSR there's a thread about making a new one out of Plexiglas.Was in my subscribed pages but guess I dumped it in one of my purges
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2011, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Well that is the way I will have to go, unless someone out there has as spare one they want to get rid of.....

I feel so crappy right now, as it was not broken all this time, yet when I get it into my hands, or better said out of my hands, it ends up getting busted.......

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

On the bright side, I did a bit of work and got this out of the way

took this out

out from here

had to put the copper pipe to brace it up otherwise the whole bike drops down, and it makes it unsafe, as the side stand might not be enough to hold the bike upright.

That's it for tonight

Comment

Damn, that is a bad blow, I know the feeling, just go look at my crappy paint job on my build thread, was all coming together so nicely, then the disaster struck....uuuurrrrhhhh, had to sqand the whole lot back again and start from scratch.
                              Don't sweat it too much, if you really want glass, any glass or window place will cut you up a new one for not too much money, or as Greg said, buy a piece of plexiglass and cut a new one yourself, even cheaper, these are all the joys of a restoration.
                              Take a deep breath, sleep on it and you will tackle it in a new light and better frame of mind tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Flyboy,,,,,,did as you suggested, and as all the rest of you, put it aside, worked on other things and went to bed. Forgot all about it, until morning....LOL,,,and I felt really bad at your issue with the side covers and the work that went south on you as well, but it's a learn and grow process, so I guess it's in a way a good thing, even if they hurt, especially the pocket book...

So I went to a glass place, told me he can do a new one for 40 bucks, was 35 at first but then he saw the small hole he has to do as well, and it went up another 5 in the blink of an eye.......Thanked him for his quote and I walked out, going to see if I can find it anywhere else, and while my son was doing his Arts program, he gout a big sheet of plexiglass, I found it, it's a wee bit thicker, and not glazed, but I am going to cut my own first and see how it turns out, if no good, and I don't find another, I will just get the glass place to make me a new one, they even had the frosted glass.....

It was just 40 bucks I could have spent on something better....my budget is getting smaller with these kind of stupid little mistakes, lucky me so far it's the only one that has cost me.....

So anyways on to better things.....

Me and the son decided to tackle the rear end and get the swing arm off, the mono shock mount out, and call it a night, once again he is off to work, so not so much can be done, but enough for him to learn a bit each and every time....

Well here are the pics of the efforts on tonight's tear down, I was actually surprised on the condition of the part that holds the mono shock, it's barely pitted,rusted it will require very little attention if any...

the swing arm, yes rim still attached

dirty, but it will come clean

and tonight even the dog had enough, of us working and smelling up his living quarters, he fell asleep....as you can see, I am even running out of room, the bike takes up more room now, since it's in bits and pieces....

Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X