Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the frame

The Frame

Sorry about all the pics, if any objections I can limit it to a couple per post.......

Comment

Wow, you have been busy, that engine and frame are looking good, I can see this is going to be super nice once the paint is down.
      What color are you going for on the engine? Black cylinders with silver cases and polished covers?
      I am not qualifed to comment on what paint to use, but I am sure someone will chime in shortly as to what they use, as I recall, the silver VHT that the guys use is a #127, not sure what catagory that falls into, maybe check it up and get the black in the same catagory.
      For the frame, I guess it is not too important as there is no heat involved.

Are you kidding? Pics are good, more pics are better, you know we like pics.
      Keep up the good work, I am enjoying this build.

Comment

Thanks Flyboy....

Going to do it as it was I think, all black, polished covers, and the top side fins were polished, well they had no paint, going to match up the carbs as well, the tops were already black, going to do the bowls black, and the connecting bars (just like you did, had the idea before I saw yours, but yours confirmed to me it would look good, thanks)

The paint, hopefully it will be good for the engine that I can get, not sure where else to go and look for it, but I will shop around a bit. For the frame, I am using similar to what Greg used (SVSooke) seems to have worked out well for him.

What I really want to make sure is to try and use the same paint for the rest of the bike, triple tree, battery holder, handle bars, rims, etc...everything except the brake calipers.

This is what I really need to know, don't want to do it with different types and get different shades and or finish, but need the durability, so maybe the appliance paint I am using for the frame might be good for all the other parts....

Comment

Just a tease

did these a few nights ago, really quick, basically a wash in some soapy water and a quick sanding of the lip with some super fine 400 grit emery cloth paper...

they need some more work, to really get the shine, and get rid of some pits in them, and the black needs to be repainted, then it will be good.....

A few teasing pics

Comment

That is quite a bit of progress! I have had good luck with Duplicolors engine paints. So if that is all you can find, have no worries.
            I have NEVER seen anyone post "Too many Pics"!
            Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              did these a few nights ago, really quick, basically a wash in some soapy water and a quick sanding of the lip with some super fine 400 grit emery cloth paper...

they need some more work, to really get the shine, and get rid of some pits in them, and the black needs to be repainted, then it will be good.....

A few teasing pics...

Inspirational. I just may have to give that a try.

Daniel

Comment

Original colour is dark grey if that matters.

Comment

Greg....

are we talking about the rims ? If so, I don't know, there is only the black on the rims, no second coat of paint on them, there are spots that the paint has chipped or flaked off and I see no evidence of any other color...

Comment

Bought mine brand new. Rims have never been touched.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

That is black ? Picture is a little washed out, so hard to tell, it does almost look grey ?

Comment

Sorry,yes the rims.Have enough of these hanging round to say that they where a metallic dark grey to begin with.Also have a set with the paint removed,did that with the Skunk wheels to.

Dupli-color's wheel coating is a pretty close match to the factory colour.If you prefer the black go with it,just giving info here.

Comment

Thanks for the information, info is always good to get....

But on the rims I have I see no trace of any color but black, now I don't know what the PO did or did not do, and if he did paint them, he did a great job of stripping them down to nothing, but I see no indication of this. Could it be I have the only set of rims that came in black from factory.....?

Either way it really don't matter, I like the black and that is how they will probably stay....

So, question is...

Do I use the Appliance paint I am gong to use on the frame, for the rest of the parts, including rims, and of course not the brake calipers

Do I use, Duplicolor Paint on all the other parts, including the rims

I am going to see if I can get the VHT high temp paint in gloss for the motor, the one that says for roll cage and such, and should I use that on all the other parts....

I am so confused, and I really don't want to use the wrong stuff on the wrong item and have to do it all over again.....

Any suggestions.....Please

Greg,,,,I just noticed though, none of the rims you show are the same as mine, your pattern is different, maybe this is the reason mine are black and yours were not ?

Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

There is another color that looks good. The Yoshimura model.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I was thinking about that one as well, not the rims though, the body paint only, and to try and get the stickers as well....somehow the red rims don't really do it for me...

I was inspired by this in the start, except the rims once again

Comment

If you are thinking of the first picture decals are available. I just purchased a set. $100 { not the Yoshi stuff }

Comment

Working...
                                X