X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no way.....

can you please tell me where, link to the place, 100 bucks is not so bad

Comment

Not a fan of glossy engines.Mine was done with regular Plasti-Kote satin black.Been surprisingly tough.Can't see why appliance"epoxy" wouldn't work on the stuff mentioned.Looks wise I like to vary the finishes.One thing I did was allot of my stuff was painted black satin because I like the finish.All the bolt heads where done in gloss.Stop stressing it,it's your bike do what you like.It will be fine.

Comment

Sure can. When I ordered mine it took about a month and a half to get them. They were out of stock. Not sure if they got more, or make to order. But I was happy as I was in no rush. Silver and blue only.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Thanks SVSooke

not so much stressing, just want to lay down the right stuff, and not have it peel off or flake off after a few outings, that's all, this is gathering intelligence from those that have done it before, and getting a good idea of what works and what does not....LOL

Stress would be only after it's all done, and take it for a ride and the wind makes the paint flake, or the rain washes it away....I know, that is extreme, but you get my drift...

Color combinations are not the concern, it's just using the right thing on the right part, I guess I will just experiment a bit and see what looks best to me...

Thanks guys, appreciate all the input..............group hug.................hehehehehe

Comment

Have a look at Joe Nardy's bike. Painted by nvr2old.

Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              Sure can. When I ordered mine it took about a month and a half to get them. They were out of stock. Not sure if they got more, or make to order. But I was happy as I was in no rush. Silver and blue only.

http://www.rddecals.afegraphics.com/...-dclkit-S01155
              that is funny,,,,they have a picture of my bike exactly as it was when I got it, but they don't have the decals.....

and I don't see the yoshimura decals either, but I did find them once on some other site, perhaps a combination of places will get me the decals I need...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                Have a look at Joe Nardy's bike. Painted by nvr2old.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178208

very nice as well

lots of good ideas and inspiration

Comment

Prep is the key more than anything... when you think it is clean enough, wash it down again with a paintable degreaser, I like rubbing alcohol, cheap and evaporates clean.
                  Keep that silicone spray lube away from it from now on.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Most of my stuff is painted with regular Placti-Kote.Getting the surface clean is where most of the peeling problems come from.A clean surface with a bit of "tooth" in it will hold most paint.

Comment

Then clean some more I will......

There will be no peeling, unless it's at the nudie bar.....

I dropped off my old brake lines today at Rennsport, should have the new SS lines in by the end of next week.....

Well off to do some more cleaning......

Comment

Pipe is clean......ready for paint, and polish, header portion is done as well, needs paint, and dents removed first...

it started off like this

now it's like this....I am going to see if I can get a new plate ordered......and change it for the current one as it is a bit worn and does not have any color left, because I sanded a bit too much, still it don't look too bad, but not right

Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2011, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Painting and SS Screws

So I picked up some SS Screws here locally at my nearest Brafasco, these are to replace the philips head screws on the carbs, I masked off the rotors as well so as I could paint them, as well as the gang bars for the carbs, ohh ya and the tops to the carbs as well...I don't think I am going to paint the bowls black for now, maybe if I have to pull them out for some reason I might do it then, for now they can stay just the way they are....

so 60 allen head bolts stainless steel, and 40 lock washers and 40 washers was 21 bucks, not bad, not great, but hey they had them and I wasn't concerned over a few bucks here or there

and here are a few pics

rotors

carb caps

old screws

new screws, there are more, but I have already put some on

and here are some in place....

letting the bars dry, will put them on tomorrow, as well as the caps, will take a pic or 2 then of it all together

Comment

Personally, I like to patina of the old yosh label and would keep it. Where in the world are you painting if your in Canada!? It just hit 31 here today. Brrrrr. To dang cold to paint anything now for months.

Sci85
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Painting inside my garage....I have heat in there on account the dog is in the garage, it's his home, and of course storage for us, plus a place to wrench on the bike, and other gear....

The cars are never in the garage, go figure

this is the average temp in the garage during the winter - 22 degree Celsius = 71.6 degree Fahrenheit, more or less the same as the rest of the house

The bigger stuff, I will be taking to my brothers machine shop, like the frame, and probably the motor, and rims, since it will require a bit more spraying, don't want to kill the dog with paint fumes....LOL
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Nice progress, those rotors look good and those ss allen bolts make all the diffirence in cleaning up the look of the bike, they are going to contrast nicely with the black carb tops....nice work.

Comment

Working...
                                X