No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if your looking for parts let me know. I have a complete engine, carbs, front end, fairing and windscreen, rims.......etc.

Comment

Originally posted by smarzinski View Post
      if your looking for parts let me know. I have a complete engine, carbs, front end, fairing and windscreen, rims.......etc.
      Thanks for the offer....I will keep it in mind

I just checked out your build

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

very nice, love the conversion

nice handle bars as well, wouldn't mind trying something like that on mine, and that green chain is awesome, was it expensive, or can I ask where you got it

Thanks

Comment

Keep the fork lowers black.
        It compliments the contrast between the upper tubes and triple tree.

Daniel

Comment

One dosn't look like the other.....

Well tonight I tackled the front rim, it needed to get polished before it gets painted, so here is a comparison to the rear rim, which will probably get done tomorrow, and then mask them off and shoot some paint on them....

This is about 4 hours of effort......I think it came out OK...

in the 7th picture you can see a reflection of the camera...

Front rim

Rear rim

front

rear

The money shot

Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 11:58 PM.

Comment

A world of difference. Very nice looking. It's often little details like this that take a lot of work and make something good into something great.

I will be shipping you all my parts that need to be polished tomorrow.
            I will pay you a six pack of beer per part.
            Thanks pal.

Oh! and I want them back within the week. K?

Bruce.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment.....

No Problem on the polishing, Bruce

Beer is good.........

you just might not get your stuff back in a week....maybe 2

Comment

Looking great GK! Can't wait to see the final product after paint. You gonna clear them after you paint?

Sci85
                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                  Looking great GK! Can't wait to see the final product after paint. You gonna clear them after you paint?

Sci85
                  Maybe just the painted portion, I am always afraid that the polished portion will chip/crack/yellow, so it's probably easier to just clean it up every now and then, and a nice coat of wax, should make em look good for a while...

I hope....

and I haven't even decided on what paint to use, it will be black and shiny, was thinking the same paint I was going to use for the frame, the appliance epoxy stuff, should hold up rather well, anyone have other suggestions ?

Comment

Go with the appliance epoxy stuff. It looks not quite right when you first spray it out of the can but it smooths itself out very well.
                    It is pretty hard when fully cured and has a nice gloss to it.

Practice spraying it on something other than the part you are painting. You need to lay it down thick enough for a proper build up without getting runs.
                    Do it in two coats. Lay down the first coat with just enough paint to mostly cover it. Wait till that first coat is tacky to the touch and then lay down a "gloss" coat. Just thick enough to look glossy without running.

If you do happen to get a run don't panic! keep a roll of masking tape with you and when you see a run while painting take a long strip of tape and lay it over the run. It will peel the run off and you can respray the area right away.
                    You may have to tape and peel a few times to flatten it out but it works.

I was taught this tip a long time ago and it has saved me from having to wet sand and polish many runs when I first started painting.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Bruce.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Wow, nice work on the rim there, I do like it...a lot, keep it up, like brslk said, the details turn something nice into something great.

I am not sure I would go with a gloss black on the rims, you have shiny bits already in the rim and the spokes, I would lean more to a satin finish to give a nice contrast between the polished bits and the satin bits, it will really bring the polished bits out.
                      I think a high gloss black and polished rim and spokes would look a touch gaudy, I may be wrong.
                      Just my 2c

Comment

@brslk.....Thanks for the tips, hopefully I won't need the tape, but it's a good trick to know.....

@Flyboy......I know what you mean, but not sure what else to use, that will have the endurance that the appliance paint has, the rest of the paints are just your basic automotive type paints, that offer me the satin finish, I can perhaps use a coat of satin finish varathane or urethane, or something to give it the satin finish, my only other option of a descent paint is the VHT brand we have, and I have not looked at what the satin is applicable for....but I can check it out

Then again, I could just keep the rims on the "a bit dirty" side and it will look matte...LOL

Comment

Nah, you have done far too nice of a job so far to leave the wheels on the dirty side.
                          Check out the VHT range, from everything I have read here it is very highly regarded and they have a paint for most everything from a dead hooker to a rusty screw driver.
                          I am sitting with the problem with my calipers now, not sure what to use, we don't have VHT here and being in a pressurized can it is not easily or cheaply shipped as it is classed as dangerous goods.
                          And in all my years working in the motor trade both for dealerships and myself, I have never seen a dedicated caliper paint here.
                          I guess I am going to have to go with 2K urethane, that stuff is as tough as diamonds.
                          Oh hurry up Walmart....

Comment

GK, just came over to check out your triple clamp and what, no pics? You know that's a no no. Shame on you.

Oh, and to give my opinion on your earlier questions...I would not use JB Weld for anything structural or requiring tourqe. If it was mine (and I do have one broken bolt too), I would get a heli coil kit. They work great and shouldn't give you any trouble. No point in spending all that money on a new head just for a couple broken bolts.

You could also take the head into a machine shop who can do the work for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

And I agree with 7981GS. Keep the lowers black. Looks much better on that bike.

Sci85
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

What you mean no pics,,,,I have lots of pics....LOL

check post here - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&postcount=220

my holes are really big, unfortunately, so a heli coil might not be applicable, but I was thinking of using the JB Weld and will it was still wet, stick a heli coil in and let it all cure at the same time ?

speaking of machine shops, my brother owns one, but we had a falling out, so I am not going there anymore, most of the tools I need are there, as is about 2000 square feet of space, I could use, ohhh well crap happens.....

I will sire wheel the lowers a bit, just to get the roughness out, and repaint the lowers, you guys are right it would be way too much shine....

Comment

That polished wheel looks fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X