No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you make out on the hunt for a welder? Perhaps something like this could help as an alternative : http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ344049794 Swap the frame and part out the rest. You would likely be able to recoup your investment.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      How did you make out on the hunt for a welder? Perhaps something like this could help as an alternative : http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ344049794 Swap the frame and part out the rest. You would likely be able to recoup your investment.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
      Spyug
      nice ? find.....

This is an idea I was toying with as well, but I heard if I swap out the frame, VIN changes, so I have to register the bike again, would need to get safety cert, and all that other jazz.....

I found no one at the show to help out on the welding for the frame and or the engine, I that at least at the custom bikes, vintage, cafe, there would be someone, but nope.....

Monday, I am going to pack the frame in the truck, and hit that place we have used in the past for other welding and fabricating, this is what they do, so hopefully they can do something with the frame.

The engine, I am going to follow up on another lead I was given a few weeks back, wasn't someone I was thinking of going to, but got to give it a try a least

Comment

rims unmasked.....

well they are done, just have to bolt on the parts that go back on, ohhhh and I can't find the matte spots anymore, maybe it was just my tired eyes...

ohhh ya, the chain cover and air box came out mint.....

Comment

Nicely done GK. You're hired!
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Thanks....

Comment

Beautimus!

Daniel

Comment

Congratulations on a job well done.

Comment

Sometimes it pays to step away.Nice job.
                  But I stll would have done them grey

Comment

Awesome! They all look great
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

are you going to get new tires?

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                        are you going to get new tires?
                        Even though they look to be in excellent condition, I think I will have to, these have been on the bike for about 15 years or so, and a good of those, have just been on the bike, with it sitting in the garage.

So yes I am thinking they should be replaced

Comment

Getting Frame Welded, Need Measurementa

OK, getting the frame welded, but want to ensure it is still in spec, and it has not bent in or out. I know a couple of you guys have the same bike and frame, could you please take a few measurements for me please and post, so I can take em to the welder to make sure it all stays within spec.....

Thanks

The red lines are outside edge to outside edge, and the green is inside to inside edge.....please try to take measurements in these areas, as this is what I will use to see if my frame is the same.

Please try to be as exact as possible, metric will be great, but imperial measurements will work as well

Cheers

DAn

Comment

Yes I think new rubber would be in order after 15 years. Nothing would be worse than to get that puppy all shiney and back together then dump it on the inaugral run 'cause a tire blew. Besides its like getting a new suit for a special event and wearing your workboots

Interesting idea on the "bumper" paint for the plastics, I wouldn't have thought of that. I hope it sticks over time.

I'm waiting to find out how you make out with the frame and head weld projects. I am sure they will be easy enough to sort once you find the right guy.

I did have an idea about fixing the head bolt hole that might work for you, that you could even do yourself perhaps. Ever heard of Alumiweld? (www.alumiweld.com) Its a low melting temp aluminum rod that you might be able use to fill the hole with then retap for the bolt. You need a Mapp gas rig to melt it (the yellow canisters from Crappy tire. Lowes, Home Depot etc) as it burns hotter than propane as you need 750 + degrees. Its available from Princess Auto I believe but likely cheaper from the States. I got mine from Harbour Freight in Buffalo. Another skill to learn but good to have in your bag of tricks.

You're knocking things off at a good clip so once you get these niggly little things out of the way it should be clear sailing to spring.

Cheers,
                            spyug

Comment

Great job on those wheels! they look better than mines!

Comment

Will check measurements tonight for you.

Spyug

Comment

Working...
                                X