1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@spyug

now that you put it that way, it just might be the way to go, I will have to do some research on all the stuff I need and see, I would just hate to get the equipment and all, do the work, and it comes out crap, then it's a waste of money, and I still need to get it done by a shop, so in the end it ends up costing more.

Thanks

Comment

You underestimate yourself my friend. You have the basic skills as you've demonstrated. You just need a bit more confidence.

Painting is not very hard but like most things it requires preparation. If you do a good job on the prep, the paint is the easy part. Most folks actually have difficulty with the prep. They are anxious to get the paint done so they rush it. If the surface is not absolutely flat and smooth it will show up in the paint so the secret is to sand, sand and sand some more. Once its like a babies bum, shoot your paint.

Prep also extends to your work area and tools. You need to make up some stands for your tins and have a work area that is setup for paint. I made up some stands from scraps of 2x4 and I paint on a table I made up from an old door and some saw horses. I also made up some 4x4' screens (1x2" frames covered with plastic) that I set up in a "C" shape clamped to the table to act as a booth) It keeps most of the overspray in one place. You also need some lintless rags or towels ( the blue paper ones from Crappy Tire i like) and most importantly, rubber or vinyl gloves to handle the tins (keeps the oil from your fingers from contiminating things).

Just take your time with it. Start with a small piece first, maybe the tail. Leave the tank 'til last when your confidence is up.

You can do it!

cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

You definitely can paint it yourself, Spyug's got it spot on there

Here's some inspiration for you, keeping in mind I went the expensive 2K option for everything and ended up with three colours plus clear coat:

Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.

Yes, any noob can paint
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

OK, you guys have twisted the proverbial arm enough, I will try the painting on my own.....It will take longer to finish up the build, as I will have to leave the painting for the very end, need to do everything else, she might look a bit ugly until it's painted, but I will do it....

I see there is a air compressor on sale at our local Harbor Freight place, we call it Princess Auto, and our Canadian tire has a spray gun on sale, and it includes a touch up spray gun as well, but I will hold off for now, as these sales seem to come up very often at both stores.

Good news on the frame, and engine welding I need to have done.

My dad made the parts to put where the frame is bent and a set for the other side as well, these are tacked in place, can't get it welded at the shop, ran out of gas for the welder, and since no welding will be done for a long time, no gas will be purchased, and stick welding, well it sucks at the best of times, and we can't weld aluminum anyways.

So today coming home from work, I stopped at a welding place, I knew of and past by for years, but never used them or stopped in. So I had a few pictures with me of the frame and the holes in the head and oil cover side, spoke to the father and son who are the owners and asked how much to weld up the holes, and weld up the stiffeners/gussets in the frame, well before the guy could give me a price, and I really need this done, I pipe up and say how about a Hundred bucks cash, I get a long pause from them both, and then "OK, being it in next week if you have the time, we will get it done for you......"

Cool, so I have finally found a solution for my troubled frame and engine, I figured the cost is OK, won't break the bank, and at least it will be a solid weld both on the frame and the holes in the engine. I will take the engine to the shop and have new holes drilled and tapped, going to put it on the milling machine so they are the right angle, depth and no worries of screwing it up.

It's coming to fruition, I am stoked.....

In the meantime I will continue with the bits and pieces.....paint/polish and so on....

Comment

Good news indeed!!!

One tip on the painting... if you go the 2K and compressor route, decide what paint you're going to use before buying a gun, then scour eBay, Craigslist, etc. and buy the best second hand gun you can afford or justify the price of. The cheap guns I used made it hard to get a good result.

The reason to decide on the paint first is the paint will tell you what size tip and pressure you need to spray at.

I'm still not on top of what you need in a gun, but the cheapy supposed HVLP guns from auto stores are not real flash, and that's what I used.

If that's all you can afford and get at the time, so be it, they did the job for me in the end. It just makes it more difficult than a quality gun will.

If I ever do it again, I'll be looking for a much better gun...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Not to discourage you at all about painting your own bike. There's a lot of satisfaction in it. But if you're trying to keep it affordable..$350 to have your friend do it is a rippin' deal. Seriously. Again, not trying to discourage you, just playing devil's advocate.. It was definitely cool watching the progress on Pete's bike and the results he came away with. It's a commitment, though, eh, Pete?
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                Not to discourage you at all about painting your own bike. There's a lot of satisfaction in it. But if you're trying to keep it affordable..$350 to have your friend do it is a rippin' deal. Seriously. Again, not trying to discourage you, just playing devil's advocate.. It was definitely cool watching the progress on Pete's bike and the results he came away with. It's a commitment, though, eh, Pete?
                Agreed, you can easily spend $150 or more just for materials. I got my materials a few months back and spent about that and I know that's a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Agreed, you can easily spend $150 or more just for materials. I got my materials a few months back and spent about that and I know that's a good deal.
                  I am confused by your posts here guys.....

It's not a friend, just a place I found through another forum, called and was quoted that price, included was finish prep, primer, and paint, pearl white, clear coat, for 350, all pieces, including the tank.

So I don't know, you guys think that is a good deal, or still over priced ?

and I should get my own stuff, and do it on my own, as by doing it on my own I will save money, and have the satisfaction of doing it all on my own ?

Sorry guys if I am not understanding

I don't mind doing the work, it's just the stuff I need to get, I will probably never use again, and it will just sit there, then again it might be an OK thing, and I will save some cash, and if and when I need the tools again they are there.

Comment

If you have no plans to use the equipment again then $350 is a pretty good price.

how do you know you will never use the equipment again though?

Once you have decent equipment and learn to use it you will find uses for it.

but $350 is a pretty good deal considering the cost of materials and skill for a professional paint job.

I am curious what stuff you are talking about from PA though?

Bruce.

Comment

They have a 2 gallon air compressor for 49 bucks

Attributes & Specifications
                      Motor 120V Max. Pressure 100PSI Air outlet 1/4" - 18 NPT Tank Capacity 2gal. Oil lubricated No Direct Drive Yes Air Delivery @ 40 PSI 1CFM Air Delivery @ 40 PSI 1CFM Max. Pressure 100PSI

and a similar one but 3 Gallon for 79 bucks

Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2012, 01:50 AM.

Comment

hi, check your pm pal!
                        i sent you measurements i took on my straight frame

let me know if you need more precisions.

Comment

Thank you very much.......this will help me confirm that all is well

appreciate your help....

going to post your measurements here as well, just in case someone down the road ever needs them...

No problem,

So i just did it tonight so you have them for your saturday

from left to right in your thread's picture!

21.7 cm
                          26 cm
                          29.1 cm
                          29.1 cm
                          23.7 cm (inner space where your frame is damage, your green line)
                          29 cm
                          29 cm

NB - I tried to measure precisely, i checked 3time and it really seems to be 29.1 and 29 flat on the bottom.

hope this helps.

Etche.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2012, 02:37 AM.

Comment

You will always need an air compressor. In fact, my 2 gallon I got years ago for woodworking that I said I would never use for anything else (why I didn't buy a bigger one at the time) has been used for airing bike tires and balls. But I need to buy a bigger one for other things now so I'll be looking to do that sometime later.

As far as the paint gun and stuff, folks are right you don't know what you'll want to paint later. But probably will find new things for it.

I too thought about it last year when I painted my bike but chose the rattle can for money (painted everything for under 60 bucks). It doesn't look the greatest, I do have touch up to do, but it works. However, I plan on doing it right later when I can buy the new air compressor and get everything else I need.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              You will always need an air compressor. ............
                              Nope, I have always used the neighbors.....LOL

But I hear you guys, I have to really give it some thought....

Comment

So I did some work on the swing arm and am really not sure what to do, polish or don't polish it....

I can't really get into all the nooks and crannies, if I go the polished route, then I was thinking just the side bars, easy to get at, or just leave it as is, sanded down to a matte finish.

This is how it is now, would this be good enough, would polishing it give off way too much bling ?

Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2012, 02:38 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                                X