Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there ever to much polish

Comment

I like the brushed look more myself... maybe it's coz I'm too lazy to go the whole polished to mirror thing

As to the paint thing... you know there's always another alternative right?

How about rattle can for now while the budget's tight, then get Larry to do it when the budget is better
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I vote for powdercoat if the budget will allow. That's what I'm planning for my 84 Katana when my budget will allow it (that may not be for a few years yet!).

Mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to d**k around with polishing and then repolishing when it tarnishes. Do it once and be done with it!

Comment

rearend assembled

Well, looked at it, studied it, dicked around with it, and gave it the matte finish, well almost a polish, but not mirror shine, cleaned it all up, and decided to put it all together....

As HAL said "Something wonderful is about to happen" or something to that effect....

and here is my rear end.....

OK not mine, but that of the bike....

All great input from you all, and that is really appreciated, something I can do, some I cannot, powder coating is cost prohibitive, rattle can, could work, but will chip and peel, the polished look, was going to take a whole lot of time, and I still don't think I could pull it off, getting each and every nook and cranny, so the matte finish is what I decided on, I will probably give it a clear coat of some varathane or some such thing, so as I don't have to polish it all the time, and or it turning green or some such nonsense, for now

I think it looks OK

Comment

Ok, now that is nice, relly nice, that rear end came out stunning, nice work there, feels good when tyou can see the results of all those hours of cleaning, sanding and polishing, don't it?
            I would not clear coat it, it is bound to tarnish and go yukk later down the road, a rag and some metal polish every now and again should keep it looking like new for many years.

Comment

I only wish that you were closer.
              I would be dropping stuff off all the time for you to make pretty.
              Great job and much more WORK than I am up to.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                Ok, now that is nice, really nice, that rear end came out stunning, nice work there, feels good when you can see the results of all those hours of cleaning, sanding and polishing, don't it?
                I would not clear coat it, it is bound to tarnish and go yukk later down the road, a rag and some metal polish every now and again should keep it looking like new for many years.
                Thank you very much...

Ya it does make one want to go on, as one sees parts getting back together...

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                I only wish that you were closer.
                I would be dropping stuff off all the time for you to make pretty.
                Great job and much more WORK than I am up to.

Daniel
                If I was closer, you could drop off parts, no problems at all.....

payment can be in cash, beer, good food, good company (the women kind) or all of the above....

I wouldn't mind helping out, I have done it many times before, and will do it many times more..

Comment

mono e mono

Well did a wee bit more today, it was a nice Saturday to do nothing but work on the bike a bit

Put back together the mono shock, gonna look good, I can see it all coming together....

and a sneak peek.......

wait till it's unwrapped.......

Comment

You do some really nice work. That rear looks awesome (not yours, the bikes).
                    Listen to Flyboy. Do not clear it. You will regret it when it starts to chip and corrode from underneath.
                    Polish and wax now and then when they look dirty.

That mono-shock looks better than new.

Bruce.

Comment

Awesome stuff, I'm lovin' it!

+1 again on the don't clear coat it.

I bought clear coat for my crankcase covers so I could do it after polishing, but no way am I going to risk it.

If you get one little pinhole in the clear coat, it will oxidise under there and you'll have to strip the clear coat and polish it again anyway.

Much better to polish it frequently so it doesn't get too bad between polishes, that way it will be less effort to keep shiny and will look good for much longer

Oh, and I find Mothers mag and aluminium polish does an awesome job with a soft polishing cloth.
                      Last edited by pete; 01-15-2012, 08:23 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post

Is there ever to much polish

its not polished yet, polish it then polish it again to mirror finish and it should stay clean, except for road tar, its a pain to get mirror finish but well worth in the end

Comment

polished pipe

Well here is the tail end of the exhaust pipe....

I really like the Yoshi emblem, how it polished up nice, I lost a bit of the color, but can't have everything

And a quick polish of the cover, still has a long way to go, more sanding, then hit the buffing wheel, but it should come out OK

Comment

Very nice! Gotta be happy with that

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                              its not polished yet, polish it then polish it again to mirror finish and it should stay clean, except for road tar, its a pain to get mirror finish but well worth in the end
                              Was one of my first attempts with polishing.

Got better since then

Comment

Looking good GK. as someone said, that shock and linkage looks fantastic. I love that Yosh pipe. I have one of their newer ones on my MX racer and they are great exhausts.
                                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
                                X