No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll need to take it off to check your valve clearances (if the valve cover is the one you are talking about) anyway so yea, you'll want to get a new gasket.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks. I did everything with the wheel I could and then switched to a drill for all the tight spots. As far as the gasket goes I would replace it, but its up to you. You will need to adjust your vlave clearances anyways. Mine didnt tear but it was hard and I figured since I had it off I should just do it. I think I paid $40 for it. Everything is looking good!

Comment

Sure make me spend more money on this build.....LOL

I will give it some thought, but your right, I will need to do a valve adjustment anyways, I don't know when it was done last.

Comment

painting plastics and primer on metal

So here are some shots of recent activity, not much, but I try to do something bit everyday, will probably do more tomorrow, it's Saturday and I have the whole day to myself.....

The plastics are still wet, just gave them their first coat, it will dry to a matte finish, then a light sand and a second coat will be applied to even it all out

A touch of primer, waiting to do all the primer work before I shoot the black on the parts, there are many items still needing primer first

Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Looking good GK. I really should try to do at least something each day like you do.
            Like you, I also have the whole day to myself tomorrow and plan on getting lots done.
            I didn't go out to the garage after work today because I was dead tired.
            I think I got about 2 hours sleep last night. The wife is still suffering from a cold and was snoring like a chainsaw (shhh don't tell her I said anything).

Bruce.

Comment

your secret is safe with me....LOL

I will have to run out and get some more bumper paint, I used up the last I had, just now, I see a run or two, so I have to sand them out, and the parts all need a second coat anyways.

I just have to go and organize what I am going to do tomorrow....

Still waiting on my frame to be welded.....once that is done I can start putting some parts back on....if I remember where what goes and how it went, I have a feeling I am going to be a wee bit lost, even with all the pictures I have taken, but everything has it's place, or so they say.....

Comment

You'll be right, just have those pic's handy and you'll see where everything goes easy enough

My mantra during my rebuild was just do something every day, doesn't matter how small it was, just do something. It worked in the end
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

As far as the valve cover gasket goes, they are reuseable on these engines. But - yours has been on there for the better part of 25 years so I second the recommendation to replace it. 40 bucks might seem a little steep but if you can keep it going for 5- 10 years then you'll be money ahead.

Comment

only this for tonight

but it's still something

by the way, does anyone know, did I put that larger rubber cap in the correct way, the part that is in the bottom right of the picture and and that bulbous rubber, does it go that way or does the bulge go towards the other end, I unfortunately do not have a picture of it on the part prior to taking it off, and the parts fiche on any of the sites don't show it....

Thanks

Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Nice.
                      Love the satin black!

Daniel

Comment

You've got the rubber piece the correct way.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          Nice.
                          Love the satin black!

Daniel
                          Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                          You've got the rubber piece the correct way.

Thank you both.....

Comment

Looks pretty good. You should buy a compressor and take up painting.
                            It's a skill that is very handy to have.

Bruce.

Comment

Thanks Bruce, but no Thanks, not a skill I want to add to my resume.....LOL

rattle can painting is one thing, anything past that, I will leave to those that already have all the tools.....I'd rather buy more firearms.....I am more into real guns, not so much into paint guns.....

Comment

Shhhh! Don't let the Americans here know we are allowed to have guns!
                                (you will spoil the invasion!)

Bruce.

Comment

Working...
                                X