1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spyug View Post

Well its all good the holes are filled and you can retap and get back on track.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    That right there is the main point, everything is back on track, and I can move forward

And with your work, that's it, grab your stuff, and watch him cry, when he can't do his....

All it takes is a simple phone call, and lots of grief can be avoided, some places and people just don't get it

Ohhh ya, I was a little taken back with his welds, and this was a welding shop.....I guess he just didn't give a crap, but hey as long as they are solid, I can pretty them up a bit.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Pretty funny. I was feeling a bit sluggish tonight after work and supper but also wanted to at least do something everyday.
      What did I do? wire wheeled the valve cover...
      No pics though. Dead batteries in the camera.
      Pretty sure I am gonna paint it black though to match the carbs.
      I'll just have to get the wife out of the house for a couple of days so I can bake the paint in the oven. (won't fit in the $20 toaster oven).

Coming along nicely GK.

Bruce.

Comment

At least you got something done....that's the way to do it...

If I paint, it will have to be silver, since the engine will be black, so I need the contrast, but I will try to polish it, hopefully I can get it somewhat decent...

Comment

I've been wanting to polish mine for a few years now but never got to it. I do have to check valve clearances this season and I wanted to repaint my pipes so I guess I'll try and do it this time. Problem is, by the time i get to it its going to be riding weather and as I didn't get much over the last 2 years I'm going to be jonesing really bad for some saddle time.

If the wife would get to doing the painting and decorating herself I'd have time for what's really important.

I was going to mention the "less than professional" looking welds but as you've been so anxious to get them done I thought it impolite. Hard to get good help these days isn't it but as long as they hold up, you should be fine. Just take your time with it and check your angles a couple of times before applying the drill. I wonder if you can rig some kind of a guage to help keep things on track?

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Hey if you have the cover off, bring it on by, I can polish it up......well I will try it on yours and if it turns out OK, I can then do mine.....hehehehe

the wives and their to do lists, mine wants the same thing, paint and so on, I need to get the whole downstairs done, and 2 bedrooms upstairs, sometimes I think it would be easier to just hire a painter and have it done, but she won't have it, I used to paint homes with a pro for a couple of years, so I have no excuse that I can't do it...

Ya the welding, put bluntly,,,,suck, especially on the frame, no pride in workmanship at all, bloody worse than what the guys at the factory did, even more splatter in that one spot than on the entire bike combined. Ahhh it's only cosmetic, I will patch it up and make it look somewhat nice, the welds on the holes is better and will not be seen so much, so that is OK, but could have been done a bit better, at least I think so....

The hole for the oil cover I will use the cover to help guide me on that hole, mark off the depth and drill and tap, should work, if I take my time.

The exhaust, that will take a bit of thought, I was hoping to take it to the shop, and put on the milling machine, pick off the angle from the other holes and do it that way, but, well I don't go there anymore, so that is a wash, I will call around a few shops in the area, maybe I get lucky and find someplace that can do it for cheap, but good....

I am looking forward to the outcome as well.....

Comment

valve cover polished

Well I took some time tonight and polished up the cover, not really the best, but it will do, for some reason it don't want to come to mirror (clear) shine, it's pitted, and has a rough texture to it, not really sure why this is. It does look better than it was that is for sure, and I don't know if further polishing will bring out the finish more, but for now it can be as is. I really didn't like doing this cover, it's awkward to work with, and hard to get in the middle, but it is done, for now.....

And yes I will paint the TSCC in black, as it was originally

As always a few pictures

Comment

I am in trouble......

I cannot find the little spring and the gear selector pin.......that sits in the engine

AWWWWWW Crap

gotta go an look more for it...........

Comment

Found it......

I put it with the exhaust gaskets,,,,,don't ask why, but I am glad I found them....

Comment

This evenings work....

first coat of paint, tomorrow will do a second...

Comment

Looking good GK.
                      I decided to start working on my tank. I marked and started denting some knee dents.
                      No pics again... I gotta remember to get some batteries for the camera tomorrow.

A little bit everyday and it will eventually be done.

Bruce.

Comment

Making great progress GK. Your perseverance is an inspiration. I'm looking forward to seeing that valve cover finished up. I'm betting it's going to be sweet.
                        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                          Making great progress GK. Your perseverance is an inspiration. I'm looking forward to seeing that valve cover finished up. I'm betting it's going to be sweet.
                          Awww crap, now I have to do even more to it....I thought I was finished with it....I guess it does not look as good as I thought, back to the wheel it will go....

Comment

No no no, back to 2000 grit it will go, otherwise you wasting your time on the wheel.....sorry GK, can't have you skiving off after all youe good work so far.

Comment

I have not used 2000 grit on anything, the most was 400 and then the buffing wheel....

I guess everything has to be done again.........that's OK, I have time......

Comment

Hahahaha, GK, I am just razzin' you, your build is first class, and I am following with great interest, your attention to detail is amazing, this is goig to be one sweet ride when she is done, keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X