1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
    You will get back at it Bruce...health is more important, so don't make it worse, let the back
    +1 on that. We'll wait On ya Bruce!
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

more of the parts primed.....

not sure but I think I will use the Appliance paint on these parts, I don't think it really matters what paint, but since they are the engine mounts and such, I think it will be OK

Comment

Are you painting these indoors somewhere GK? It's gotta be butt cold up there no?
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Yup,,,painting in the garage, I have heat pumped into it, so it's not so bad, almost the same temp in the garage as it is in the rest of the house, OK a bit cooler, it's about 20C or 68F, but I can be in there in a t-shirt, so it is comfortable.

Cold yup, we got about 2-3 inches of snow last night and currently -10 C or 14 F

I should have opened up the door, when I took the pictures....LOL

Comment

The paint is nice and you're doing a fine job but what about the head stud? I'm waiting with baited breath to see how that turns out.

As some of the guys have mentioned making a jig using a drill press and a hunk of steel bar might be the easiest approach. It doesn't need to be smack on just close enough for government work as I like to say.

You a re not far away from reassembly now and when you start in on that you will be over the hump on this project. I can see a bright summer of riding in your future

Good stuff old son.

Cheers,
            spyug

PS. I should trade you a Kat for a "pristine" 750

Comment

Paint, what paint, this is all primer.....LOL

Patients young grass hopper.....the engine work will be done, just don't know when, maybe next week, getting my dad to help out at the shop, more tools there, including a milling machine, drill press, lots of steel to make jigs and so on, but have to wait for him, my fall out with my brother has put a dampener on this whole thing, as a lot of it was to be done there, but hey crap happens, so now I do what I can when I can...

This is why I am doing all the other things I can get at that don't require shop time, my biggest concern is the actual paint of the frame, it will be a lot of spraying, so it could prove a bit too much for the garage, the prime put on was bad enough, but I will use the big green tarps I have and mask off as much as possible and do it if I really need to, the plan was being the frame and engine to the shop, work on the engine, and just before going home give the frame a shot of paint, let it dry and get it the next day to start assembly.

Hey if the GS don't get done, I will have my new Ninja for my riding pleasure for the summer...lol

it will get there, just not in the time I wanted or planned out, ohhh well

Comment

At least you can paint! All I can do is clean until spring :-(

And you gotta spare bike!? You guys are sooo spoiled ;-)
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                  At least you can paint! All I can do is clean until spring :-(

And you gotta spare bike!? You guys are sooo spoiled ;-)
                  It's probably the last time, I will paint so much in the garage, it really stinks up the house, and the wife is not very pleased, actually she is ****ed, can I say that....I am gonna have to do a few dinners out, some honey to do items.....for sure....

the new bike is not here yet, but at the dealership, so nothing until spring for me either, so I am in the same boat as yourself....

But it's all good, we keep posting pictures of our progress, and it keeps us going, then I look at some of the guys that are riding, and that makes it all much more tolerable....

Hey a couple of months will go by so quick, maybe even too fast, as some projects might even need more time...

I hope to be at at least 90%, a couple of things will stall me, tires being one of them, really need new rubber, before I attempt to ride the bike, so even if I have it all buttoned up, it will still sit....ohhh and the all the tins have to be painted, those I have decided to farm out, so it will not be complete, but very close.......

Comment

GK, that is really good work, like Spyug said, pristine, for sure, keep it up, the attention to detail separates an ordinary build from one with the "Wow" factor.

Y'all can take heart that you will all be riding long before me, so life ain't so bad.

Comment

Frame is Painted

Thanks to all......I appreciate the nice comments, and it really does make one want to work and do as good as job as possible, who knows how many short cuts I would have taken, had it not been for the encouragement from you guys....

That being said.....

I did it....

The frame has been painted, and is hanging, almost reminds me of my deer hunts with it hanging there in the garage.

I am not happy though, and I really don't know how to fix it......I have some over spray, and instead of the finish being nice and smooth and shiny, it has turned rough, and matte, now that really ****es me off.....

So I used the Appliance spray paint, it's an Epoxy, do you think I can wet sand and buff, or do I wet sand, and respray, has anyone tried either, I am thinking SVSooke, might have some insight to this ? Easy way is to wet sand and take the shine off and leave it like that, or try and fix it somehow.....

Any thoughts ?

So here are some pics of some of the parts sprayed tonight including the frame

Comment

I think it looks alright. Its just a frame. No one really looks at it. Its black for a reason.

Comment

Yeah, I can't see anything from the photos so looks ok to me.

It's really tough with rattle can on a part that big not to get some overspray that dulls the look. You can let it dry real good then sand it rough and re spray but you will need to tape off the rest of the bike or you will get more overspray on the other finished surfaces. Start on the inside of the frame and work towards the outside so any overspray is on the inside of the frame rails where it won't be noticed.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Creative and Selective photography......I did not take pictures of the bad parts....LOL

I am going to try and wet sand with a high grit paper and see what happens, worse case scenario, after sanding I will have to repaint.

But I am reading I cannot respray until at least 7 days of curing.....sheeeeesh

I will check where the over spray really is, I know it's on the main tube, but the tank hides that, so I might leave t as is, and not worry so much about it...

I was so close............................................. .......

Comment

Well,if that's the case then I agree. If the tank covers it, there really is no point in going through the effort for something no one ever sees.

Onward GK!
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I did 1 coat on Yeller's frame.Should have done 2 in hindsight.Made sure I did 2 on the Skunk frame.IIRC there is a 2hr and 7 day window with the stuff I use.Wait a bit the stuff I use seems to even out a bit with time.

Comment

Working...
                                X