No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Crap GK looks like a Paint bomb exploded and ended up all over your parts....lol. Why could that not have happened to me. Oh well. Hey man they look good. I would definitely consider where the so called bad spots are and then think about whether they will truly be seen. I understand the perfectionist is us all, okay some of you, me not so much, but unless its a show piece that someone is going to take apart just to examine such details... leave it and rebuild it.

Paul

Comment

I will second Paul's sentiments.It looks fine.No rattle can job is going to be perfect on this big a piece.

Comment

Assembly has begun....

OK, thanks to all the input, I have decided to not worry so much about the little bit of overspray on the frame, generally speaking it is not too bad, and the parts that will be visible are OK anyways, I will still look at buffing out a bit of the overspray, but I will not fret over it.

So that being said, I started to assemble......

Just a few things here and there, just to see how things will look, and, well, I like it.......

I am finding however that I will need new bearings for the steering, after putting them back on, there is a dead spot, so it's not smooth going from lock to lock,,,,,crap, I was hoping not to need to do this, but it happens I guess.

the only other thing I don't like, is one I start tightening the screws to hold on certain parts, the paint tends to crack, and small bits flake off, I wonder if this is because the paint has not cured yet ? I hope so, so I will not be doing a whole lot, until this frame cures a bit more

So here are a few pictures of my progress.......

pictures taken courtesy of my son, I am at work, and I ran out of time to take any before my shift started.....

Comment

Looking awesome GK. Great work. It's going to look gooooood when you get it all back together.

Comment

So far so good. It's coming together nicely!
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Looks pretty darn good GK.
              Like others have already said, you will probably be the only one who notices anything amiss.
              I understand the eagerness to start putting thing back together but for gods sake man! Let it harden! give it a week or so.

If the spots with overspray really bug you, wait for the paint to fully harden and wet sand them with about 600 grit and polish back up to a shine.

If you still find that bolting/screwing things to the frame is chipping the paint you can always put a little bit of grease on the bottom of the bolt/screw head before putting it on.

In the meantime, anything you have chipped or scratched you can just spray some of the epoxy paint into the lid or some container and use a model paint brush to touch it up.

Bruce.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bruce....

Ya going to let it harden up, before I continue, just wanted to see how things are going to look....the only part so far that has actually chipped is the small bracket that holds the air box, so an easy fix, and I might actually stip it back to bare metal and spray it with some clear and leave it that way instead, I like to look of shiny bits against the black

I will continue with other things, like getting new bearings for the steering stem, and probably work on the engine and exhaust now....

I was going to try the wet sand and buff and see what happens, will do it in a spot no one will see, so I can either respray or if it works move to other areas. what do you recommend I use to polish it with once sanded ?? those buffing wheels from Princess Auto, that go on the end of the drill ?? and some compound ?

going to put the whole thing in the basement tonight and let it cure....the basement part is much warmer.

I just had to put a few things back on.............

probably wont have much to post now, since we have to wait for paint to dry....LOL

but I will find things for sure...

I am glad I left those grab handles just raw with a shot of clear varathane, really sets off the back end......

Comment

Letting the paint cure was why I did Yeller's frame as one of the first things I painted.Why the Skunk frame was done in the summer last year.You need to let it cure,at least a week with 2 being better.

Comment

Thanks guys....

the frame is in the basement, nice and warm and safe, won't touch it for at least a week maybe longer, as I will go and work on the engine now.....

Comment

really looking good man thats what i wanted to do to mine but i need transportation now,and no money to spend makin it look pretty ,so mine is basic rebuild, are you rebuilding the motor? i have some high comp wiseco! pistons stock bore on ebay cheap, right now, i wanted to use them but i went with a different cyl and pistons , my stock was to wore out for them
                      i have 1100 cams as well
                      i might paint mine but i dunno, what color you going with??
                      its actually a comfortable bike to ride

Comment

GK, now you cookin' with gas, looking super sweet, I bet you are stoked that it is all coming together now, you sure do get your head down and make progress. Awesome, keep it up.

Comment

Yeah that's nice!

Glad you're going to let her cure properly though... I let my frame hang where I painted it for almost a week after the two coats of POR 15 Blackcote and it's been great since.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pretty Pictures... uh huh... Redneck likes. Wants to lick yummy frame... Silliness aside, it looks great GK. Trust me unless you are crazy fast engine man by the time you get the engine ready to go and all the other little things the Frame will be well cured.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                              really looking good man thats what i wanted to do to mine but i need transportation now,and no money to spend makin it look pretty ,so mine is basic rebuild, are you rebuilding the motor? i have some high comp wiseco! pistons stock bore on ebay cheap, right now, i wanted to use them but i went with a different cyl and pistons , my stock was to wore out for them
                              i have 1100 cams as well
                              i might paint mine but i dunno, what color you going with??
                              its actually a comfortable bike to ride
                              Thanks...

not rebuilding the motor at this time, last time it ran it was fine, a bit of a problem with idle, but hopefully I can cure that at this time, since the carbs have been fully rebuilt. Doing engine work is not what I know very well, but thanks for the offer on the pistons, perhaps another time.

Color scheme will be a pearl white on the tins, black frame as you can see, polished engine covers, swing arm, etc, grab handles were left raw metal and a coat of varathane, and the engine will be Black as it was when I got the bike, and some of the fins cleaned up so show them off a bit and add contrast, chain tensioner was polished a bit as well, Yosh pipe will be black, but I might wrap it in black cloth, have a few dings and not sure if I will be able to get them out

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              GK, now you cookin' with gas, looking super sweet, I bet you are stoked that it is all coming together now, you sure do get your head down and make progress. Awesome, keep it up.
                              Yes it's great to be putting things back together, that is for sure....

I thought I was going to do this a bit slower, but as usual, once I get going on something it's full steam ahead, unfortunately this has also meant my older son was not able to assist as much, his work schedule is really crappy, usually 4 in the after noon until 4 in the morning, but he does what he can when he can, that's the life of a sous-chef...

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Yeah that's nice!

Glad you're going to let her cure properly though... I let my frame hang where I painted it for almost a week after the two coats of POR 15 Blackcote and it's been great since.
                              couldn't let mine hang in the garage, too much traffic, dog's way of going in and out of the house for his daily walks, plus it's not really warm for curing, good enough for working only, so the whole thing right now is in the basement, with the rest of the parts, curing and keeping warm.

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                              Pretty Pictures... uh huh... Redneck likes. Wants to lick yummy frame... Silliness aside, it looks great GK. Trust me unless you are crazy fast engine man by the time you get the engine ready to go and all the other little things the Frame will be well cured.

Paul
                              no licking the bike,,,,well not yet anyways....maybe I should try that, it might get rid of the over spray....LOL

Engine work might get done this week, if I can get time in the shop, but who knows, it's not up to me, so I can only go when it's convenient for others.....ohhhh well

I still have plenty to do, brakes have to be pulled apart and cleaned, then primed and painted and assembled, well actually that is about it....LOL,,,I have done just about every thing else, even the tins are sanded down, and can go for painting, but for that I will have to wait, gotta get the funds together, a few Sunday shifts and cash will be in hand, who says part time jobs suck.....hehehehehe

Comment

not much done today, repainted the metal portion of the rear fender, painted the risers for the handle bars, clear coated the cover for the starter motor I did not want it black so I took off the paint and left it natural metal.

I pulled off the triple tree, have to remove the bearings and get new ones, there is a dead spot, and I am not liking that, hope I can find the bearings local.....

packed up the calipers, and the steering stem, dropping it off at the shop and gonna get my dad to get the pistons out, and remove the lower bearing, and discuss with him on when we can get the engine in to button it up as well, now that I am watching paint dry.....LOL

sorry no pics tonight, too lazy, and really nothing of importance, but I will take some before I start full assembly

Comment

Working...
                                X