No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you try allen's fasteners? http://www.allensfasteners.com/ Thats where I got my case bolts. I paid like 17 bucks for all of them shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      Well I am giving up......

In my search for SS Allen head bolts that I wanted to get to replace as many of the stock bolts on the bike, hit up 3 different places and none had any, and was more or less told good luck in finding SS metric in fine thread, it's an automotive application and to keep costs down they just don't do them in SS but just the plain old black....

Bummer

So now I will have to paint the bolts I have cleaned up, and use them, ohhh well, at least I can get back to assembly
      Don't Z1 do a kit ready to go for your bike? I got mine from there... replaces all the external case cover bolts...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Don't Z1 do a kit ready to go for your bike? I got mine from there... replaces all the external case cover bolts...
        I have the set for the case bolts, actually got them from Z1, it was all the other nuts and bolts that are on the bike that I wanted to change

Comment

Have you tried here ?

Lots of cool bits and pieces.......

http://www.mcmaster.com/#
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

And these are cool if you're going for a different look..

Probolt-USA the number one supplier of Aluminum, Stainless steel, and Titanium to the Motorcycle Race Teams in the USA. Also a very large selection of Kits for your Road going Motorcycle Fairing, Engine, Frame, Brakes, Wheels, Forks, Screen, all in Stock in the USA.

Those calipers looked great too btw. Fixing to do mine now that I've found a close match to the original red orange color suzuki used on the Katana. Did you prime yours first GK?
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
              And these are cool if you're going for a different look..

Probolt-USA the number one supplier of Aluminum, Stainless steel, and Titanium to the Motorcycle Race Teams in the USA. Also a very large selection of Kits for your Road going Motorcycle Fairing, Engine, Frame, Brakes, Wheels, Forks, Screen, all in Stock in the USA.

Those calipers looked great too btw. Fixing to do mine now that I've found a close match to the original red orange color suzuki used on the Katana. Did you prime yours first GK?
              Came across their site before, have some really neat stuff..... might use them to dress up the Ninja's latter on....

I think I have come across a local place, going to try and check them out tomorrow see if they have what I need

As for the calipers, no primer on them, just paint....have a couple of runs I have to fix up, if they were on the backside I wouldn't, but the runs can be seen, so I need to sand and repaint.....
              Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2012, 11:21 PM.

Comment

If all else fails send me the sizes you need and I will see if I can find them at ACE. With the standard rate shipping from USPS should be able to get them to you relatively inexpensive. I have found replacements for just about every bolt I have wanted to replace.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul.....I will keep that in mind for sure, the reason these are harder to get is they are Stainless Steel, and Metric, and Fine thread, this gives them their strength and less chance of unscrewing themselves out of their place, or so I am told....

This Pacific place might be a good place, checked out their site and catalogue and see they have the fine thread so I just might be in luck, going to be a few days before I can get out there though, work and being sick, and scheduling conflicts in the house have left me car less....LOL,,,so now I am being driven around by my sons and wife, so all have a car to get somewhere, it's actually comical....and a real Pain In The A$$......all at the same time

Comment

have left me car less....LOL
                    I know how that feels. More than 8 months now for me. Blew a rod in the Focus due to lack of oil. It seems (but can't be proven) that I had the car in for an oil change and possibly they forgot to add the new oil. My mechanic got the engine out and was going to have it sent in for total rebuild ( as they don't do single rod repairs) but as the total cost was going to be $4Gs or more ( $6G for a factory crate model), that idea didn't fly so we started looking for a used unit. The car is an ST model with a slightly hyped 2.3L engine which I come to find is scarcer than hens teeth. So after searching all of north America we finally find one last week in California. So for $1500 its on its way. I might get the car by month end if I'm lucky.

Actually, I don't mind being chauffered around but I think the wife doesn't like being the permanent designated driver ( I don't drive automatics, well I do but I try not to)

I was actually starting to think why do I even need a car. I saw a sidecar on Kijiji that got me thinking, bolt that on and I can ride year round. Then I remembered I hate the cold

I hope you get the fastners and let me know if you do since I can't get anything hereabouts as I already mentioned.

Cheers,
                    Spyug

Comment

^^^^

I will keep you informed, if this place pans out....is there anything in particular your after ? all the SS allen bolts for the carbs I got from Brafasco, and a couple of other ones they had as well, its the metric fine thread that they did not have, they seem to be more geared towards the industrial side of things, and not so much automotive.

As for cars, I think the kids need to get their own....but the insurance will put me in the poor house even more, bad enough the one is getting a new motorcycle, that in itself will be an arm and a leg.

That sucks about your car troubles, but it seems your gonna get it resolved soon....it was one of the many reasons I have always leased a vehicle, my current driver has been purchased, and I do hope no issues arise,,,,,well the low beam headlight blew, 54 bucks for a new pair, they don't sell them individually...go figure

Comment

Yeah the insurance is a bastard in Ontario, especially when you talk bikes, but cars and houses too. M licence, 9 seasons, no tickets or claims $540 a year for the 83 750. Two Focuses (Focii?) 2005 and 2006 for wife and I, one claim (her) 3 years ago no tickets ever (believe that ****?) now $3800 for the year. House and contents $960 for the year.

The thing that really chaps my azz is that we have to pay for 12 months on the bikes and can only realistically get about 5 months of riding and you can't get multiple bike policies. Banks, insurance companies and government.......the true axis of evil!

Damn, I was having a decent day 'til you made me think of that. At least I don't have to worry about the kids and their toys.

Cheers,
                        Spyug

Comment

Don't get me even started....I am up around 6 grand for insurance for everything, and that is not including the bikes yet.......

good thing the kids are working part time, so I grab a few bucks from them each month to cover some of this expense.....

Comment

Well talk about coincidents. We get to talking about lacking cars, I'm telling you about my replacement motor and a couple of hours later I get a phone call that its en the parts truck on route to my mechanic. Now if we don't get a snowstorm tomorrow, there's half a chance he'll get it in and I might have a car (again) by next week and I'll get to be another $1k lighter in the bank balance ( there goes the replacement 550 I was angling for).

As my riding buddy says, "Its all good".

Hope you are feeling better and will be in shape to shovel the driveway I cleaned, rebuilt and tuned up the neighbour's snowblower before Xmas and that managed to keep the snow gods at bay this long so maybe we'll have to get it out tomorrow. Hope not.

Cheers,
                            Spyug

Comment

Shovel, what is that you talk about....? I use the snowblower, or let it melt.....plus the truck is 4 wheel drive and the car has snows....LOL

Seriously, I got tired of shoveling so I got a snowblower a few years back, actually the first year we purchased it we didn't even use it, there was not enough snow fall to warrant it's start up....

Glad to hear your engine is in, and ya too bad about the weather tomorrow, it's going to suck for me as well, another delay in going to see about those nuts and bolts....

At work today, but not feeling 100% yet, skipped lunch so I will head out early and hit the bed, gotta shake this thing, it's really annoying....

I was gonna leave early and hit the fastener store, but that will not happen today, unfortunately....just not enough hours in the day sometime.......

Comment

gotta shake this thing,
                                Being Scottish, I have the cure. A double dram ( 2 oz and a wee bit) of good Scotch, a teaspoon of honey, in a 8 oz mug. Fill with boiling water and stir in to dissolve the honey. Drink down as quickly as you can. Put on a full set of jammies including socks and jump into bed with several thick blankets or a duvet. Sweat like a pig all night and get up feeling great. Guaranteed to knock out the most stubborn cold/gripe/ague or flu and not bad for chilblains, shingles, the pox or whatever ails you. If they dosed them with that during the black death, many would have survived.

Seriously, a hot toddy will work but if it doesn't you won't care for 8 or 10 hours.

I had never believed in flu shots and never had one until 3 years back and getting the heart issues but, touch wood, since then I have had zero flu and no colds, sinus infections or anything like that but the wife, son and daughter all have. My son has been hacking and carrying on now for near on 3 weeks, he can't shake it either. Some people mention getting really sick with a flu shot but it never affected me.

Well get yourself home and into bed. If the wife is really kind and helpful maybe she'll get in and cuddle you. The extra body heat will work wonders but she'll wake up soaked too ( and not in a good way)

Feel better soon brother.
                                Cheers,
                                Spyug

Comment

Working...
                                X