Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembly 3

Having a bit of fun......

waiting for my Stainless Steel nuts and bolts and etc.....so just doinog a bit of mock up, to see a few things.....

Don't those carbs just look sweet, and the rear brake MC and reservoir....

I am getting all giddy........

Hey do you all think I can get the engine in with the carbs in place as they are....?

Anyways a few pics, to keep us motivated.....

Comment

Fantastic work!

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post

Hey do you all think I can get the engine in with the carbs in place as they are....
        No you can't

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
          No you can't
          Crap.....

Comment

Looks good. Keep working on it.

Comment

That looks awesome GK! I wish I was that far ahead.

Bruce.

Comment

Thanks guys....it's just a mock up, once the SS nuts and bolts are in, it's full steam ahead...more or less....

Engine will be last, but I will move forward as much as possible

Comment

Damn GK that looks nice. Keep it up. Put the wheels on it and you got yourself a rolling chasis. A purty won shure nuff.

Paul

Comment

I am not feeling it today.....

How's that saying go two steps forward one step back.....I think I went 5 back today...

I wanted to clean up the runs on the calipers, so I carefully sanded, and took down the high spots, cleaned everything up a bit, washed it down to get all the oils off, and hung up to spray once more.....

Well it turned out worse than it was, so now all the parts are sitting in a small bucket of paint thinner, soaking to weaken up the paint already laid, so I can take the calipers back to the wire wheel to strip them down again, so I can start all over again.....

Did someone say this was fun......LOL

Ohhhh well, got company tonight, so nothing will be done further, waiting for the screws hopefully Monday, got to get more caliper paint, and I already picked up a new wire wheel for the bench grinder.

Some days just suck.....hehehehehe

Comment

Sorry to hear that GK, i felt the same way the day I figured out I had screwed up the carbs. Look at it this way, you were not satisfied with the way it turned out so your going to make sure it comes out the way you want it. Done right.

Paul

Comment

YUP......

you are so right there Paul....

I just finished putting the wire wheel to them, I'll be, they are cleaner now then they were before....LOL

I wonder if I can just leave them natural....no painting at all....

But I think I might go red this time around, not sure, have not given it enough thought....but it's an idea, my only concern is nothing else is red, but they sure would pop, against all the black....

Comment

Yup, they sure would pop in red but then you have to make sure the red you use on the "tins" is the same colour or mighty close or it looks weird.

For me, I don't like getting too many colours on the chassis or tins. Two or possibly three is my limit. Red calipers would not be bad but I think it would look better if they were black too and you keep the red for the bodywork.....but that's just me. Red lower down on a mostly black bike is going to draw the eye down. Not necessarily a bad thing but the bodywork should be the eyecatcher IMHO.

Do one up in red and see what you think.

I'll be sure to give you my honest opinion

Cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

Well I guess they will be black......

Tins are supposed to be Pearl White, so the red is out then......

Thanks for the input and opinion's......lol

Actually they look really good in their natural state as well.......not polished aluminum, but a brushed look, I should take a pic and post.....hmmmmm,,,,,I wonder ????

Comment

The natural look is good but what will happen in a short time is they will oxidize (discolour) or produce a chalky residue. If you go the whole 9 yards and buff them right out to a shine then clearcoat, they should last longer. If you like polishing (rather than riding) leave them in the natural state after buffing and get out the metal polish (I like Autosol). Paint is less labour intensive in the long run

So I wanted to ask, any action on the head and case bolt issues?

Since you and the other guys have got me out of my funk, tomorrow I'm planning on breaking into the tranny of the spare engine for my Kat in preparation for figuring out what might be wrong with the one in the Kat at the moment. (Recall it doesn't come out of 1st gear when its on its tires but it shifts ok on the lift). If I can make sense of it it might give me an idea of what is going on. Then it will be a matter of pulling the Kat engine and sorting it in anticipation of a spring sale.

I've never been in to a bike trans before so wish me luck.

Cheers,
                              spyug

Comment

Well I decided to give it another shot with the paint, it will be black once again, and I will hope for the best, I really don't want to be cleaning and doing all sorts of maintenance down the road, and polishing, well I have had enough of that.....

Getting a fresh spray can of VHT caliper paint tomorrow, before I go to work, tape everything off and spray the crap out of them.....

No action on the engine as of yet, I will try to get some shop time next week if I can, and hopefully button that up, and get it out of the way, it's just getting dirty sitting on the floor in the garage, going to have to clean it all over again....

Well so much for a inexpensive Kat for me, now that your deciding to dig into her and resolve the issue your having with her, but I hope you get it sorted out and working, and good luck on your endeavor.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X