No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its becoming a thing of beauty once again. Glad to see you are putting those new bolts to good use. At this rate you will have it done bythe end of the month..........no doubt in my mind.

I fired mine up this morning and while there was a little coughing and spluttering she settled down and idled sweetly.....so I'm good to go, once the winds die down. So we up for an inaugral run say April Fools day? We can be the fools and will be if it starts to snow as it likely will.

Seriously its looking very good and that is going to be one sweet ride when you finish up. I'm proud of you grasshopper!

Cheers,
    spyug

Comment

interest is peaking..wheels....bodywork?

Comment

Broken gear and electrical

Well in my assembly I have come across a broken part, and the only reason I came across it is when I put the swing arm back in, I didn't route the cable correctly, so I disconnected it and inside I find the broken gear.....

Does anyone have a spare one, just the gear ? is all I need, the rest is intact, and even the inner gear is OK, this little guy goes on the end of the cable....

I see I can still get the part new, so if no one has one, I guess I will have to order

GEAR
        62356-31340 (replaces 62356-31300) 1 $8.65 $6.38

this is the gear

this is where it goes, the control that has the black handle and numbers 1-4

And this is my electrical, I don't think it needs any work, I was going to tape the loom again, just so it has some nice new tape on it, and using a Q tip clean up each contact, the rubber housing and apply a bit of di-electric grease to each contact, and put her back in, other than the positive rubber cap, I think the rest of it looks very good, I don't see any burnt ends, or fraying, or anything, so I should be good.

any opinions ?

I hope to have it all buttoned up by end of March, but who knows, life happens and things get out of whack, but I will be optimistic and really try....

Yes I really like the bling effect of the SS bolts, it's really setting things off on the bike, mind you most won't be seen once it's all back, but at least I am not worried about rusted bolts, as I didn't use almost any of the old stuff, the brakes are going to be a pain, they are a fine thread, and to get them in stainless is proving to be a chore, so I might settle for some Allen head but in black, these I can get fairly easily...

I have contacted a few places, thanks to feedback on my other thread, and I even have a buddy in Italy to see if he can find anything there locally, he also travels to England, so there might be hope, if I get them, I can always swap them out at a latter date....

Well back to the bike....
        Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Wheels are on,,,,,we have a rolling frame.....

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          interest is peaking..wheels....bodywork?
          your wish is my command.....LOL

OK, I have the wheels on, but no bodywork.....

Body work has to go out for painting......

But I figured I can put on the wheels and at least have a rolling bike, once again....

Heck I even put the horns back on.......

Comment

Wow - that is looking beautiful. Slow and steady wins the race.
            1983 GS1100E

Comment

Oh yeah, now you're talkin'!! Awesome stuff, lovin' it
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Your paint and polish is coming out great. Wanna do up mine? haha , Your bike is going to look better than factory. Keep it up dude.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

Horn wise, you will find those pretty enemic. Princess auto carries the Fiamm Highway (Hi & Lo tone) much louder, like a truck about $20 each. Wire them in with a relay and you are good to go. Saved my bacon a couple of times now. Wakes the old ladies up for sure.

Were you going for new rubber? I'm thinking those look like they have hardened up. I wonder how safe they would be.

Starting to look like a real bike now.

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Oh yeah, now you're talkin'!! Awesome stuff, lovin' it
                    Thanks.....

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
                    Your paint and polish is coming out great. Wanna do up mine? haha , Your bike is going to look better than factory. Keep it up dude.
                    You just might be right....

send the parts, I will get to them, eventually......LOL

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Horn wise, you will find those pretty enemic. Princess auto carries the Fiamm Highway (Hi & Lo tone) much louder, like a truck about $20 each. Wire them in with a relay and you are good to go. Saved my bacon a couple of times now. Wakes the old ladies up for sure.

Were you going for new rubber? I'm thinking those look like they have hardened up. I wonder how safe they would be.

Starting to look like a real bike now.

Cheers,
                    Spyug

The horns, I just threw on, quickly hit them with the wire wheel, need painting in the back, the front as well, they will probably rust now...LOL

I will take a look at the ones at Princess Auto, might ask for help on this relay business your talking about

As for the tires, they don't feel so bad actually, not really hard, still some give to them, but they have been sitting around far too long, I was thinking of using this place

heard good things about him and his prices seem to be very good

Comment

I haven't used them myself but I've also heard good things about them. My buddy got some Metzlers for his Honda PC and I think he said delivered, they were still about $50 cheaper for the set than local pricing.

I remember when I first got the bike certified, I needed a new front and it took almost a month to find one as the 16" is an oddball these days.

Speaking of tires, I need to get new ones for the cage. Has any Canucks bought from the States or ordered anything on-line. I wondered if there would be any savings there.

Hopefully you will get a bit more done today. I was planning on getting into the garage today but the windstorm we had the other night blew down my firewood lean to at the side of the house and I've got to rebuild that plus the old lady wants a bunch of furniture trucked somewhere so there goes another opportunity.

I hope I can get into project mode soon.

cheers,
                      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

Speaking of tires, I need to get new ones for the cage. Has any Canucks bought from the States or ordered anything on-line. I wondered if there would be any savings there.
                        The wife and I drove along the west coast of the states from Canada to California this summer and I got a flat in Oregon. Stopped at a Les Shwab and bought all four tires for half the price I was quoted in Alberta.

The lowest priced all season decent quality 16" tires for my SUV at home was about $1000 installed.

A better quality set of tires (Hankook) for my SUV in Oregon was $600 installed.
                        Done on the spot with no appointment in half an hour.

Bruce.

Comment

Assembly 5

Well worked on the bike a bit more tonight, tackling the wiring and routing it to where it needs to go, plugged in the cluster, and the electrical, rear brake, put back the air box, and actually torqued all the bolts for the mono shock suspension, and swing arm, so now that is out of the way, and used a bit of blue locktite just for safe measure, it should hold, but I can still take it apart if and when the time or need arises. My only worry is the routing of the harness, not sure if I got it right, but it works, I don't see it being in the way of anything, and no binding with the steering turning left or right, if someone sees an issue please let me know....

and a few pictures of course....

Electrical and the air snorkel are in....

Battery box is in as well

The 4 black allen head bolts need to be changed to Stainless Steel I think, since everything else is, or should I just leave them, any opinions ?

this is where I am not sure if it's correctly routed...

Comment

The more you get that bike back together GK the better it looks.
                            I would go with the stainless bolts. You have them everywhere else and it will bug you if you don't change them.

Bruce.

Comment

It's looking great GK. lovin it

Comment

Wow ..Looks show room .. As nice is the OEM 83 I have ..

Comment

Working...
                                X