No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All black or at most polish the handles.Just to much this way.

Comment

+1 for paint the perch and M/C and leave the levers...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The masses have spoken once again, and have made the decision much easier....

A painting we will go......

Will pick up some paint today, and start spraying.....this evening....

Thanks for the input guys.....

ohhhh and it will be a satin black, hopefully I can find something suitable.....

Comment

While we are talking controls, you might want to consider 'quickening" up the throttle. If it is currently stock you will notice there is a lot of travel to get full throttle. When riding you will find this uncomfortable as even 1/3 to 1/2 throttle brings your fist right back to 90 deg to the wrist. You will find you are constantly adjusting your grip to get relief.

Now somewhere in the archives is a "bodge" for tightening things up using a piece of PVC tube. A few of the guys have done this. Me, being basically lazy, went for the off the shelve fix. Wander on down to your local Yammie dealer and order up a throttle tube from an R1 (2000 and up I believe) around $13/15. Fits right in no fuss no muss. Full throttle in 1/2 the distance.

While you are at it, I'd also suggest changing the grips too. Those ones have no 'give" to them unlike the more modern squishy rubber ones. The harder ones translate some vibes at certain revs I found.

Coming along nicely but methinks you are stalling on the engine no?

Anyway still about 3 weeks to go but have you noticed the weather? I'm playing hooky this aft and am heading for the country.

Cheers,
          spyug

Comment

Thanks for the tip.....on the throttle travel, and the grips, I only have a Honda dealer really close everything else is a distance away, but will try and get to one, I can check the archives as well.

I actually wanted to change the grips, as one has a chunk missing out of it, and the last time I was at the stores, I didn't know what I needed in way of length or what diameter and so on, so I got nothing...LOL

Stalling on the engine, not at all, just waiting on shop time, talked to my dad, there are 2 machines in the shop right now, that are taking up space and time, they are being rebuilt, and the tear down has begun, so they can go to sand blasting, and painting, once they are out of the shop I will be bringing in the motor to have it worked on, I am actually hoping it will be this weekend, fingers crossed......

If I had a running bike, I'd probably join in the ride, but I have a mtg this afternoon so even that would kill the idea...

ride safe

I did call the dealer with regards to the new bikes, he is supposed to call me today, and let me know when we should be coming over to finalize the deal......and get the bikes ready......for pickup or delivery....

Comment

I did call the dealer with regards to the new bikes, he is supposed to call me today, and let me know when we should be coming over to finalize the deal......and get the bikes ready......for pickup or delivery....
              I would be demanding delivery by Friday as the weekend is going to be glorious according to Matt ( our local CHCH weatherman) I've already told the missus I am "unavailable" for work details. She just "humphed" and mumbled something about finishing the dining room project I guess we'll see who has the stronger will.

On another note I think I have to get back on to the 550 project as the "lad' announced last night he is going to get his license this season. Its starting to look like it might be a busy year.

Cheers,
              Spyug

PS, If you can't get a local Yammie dealer and want one of those tubes let me know. I have a dealer 5 minutes away and I could pick one up and mail it to you.

Comment

No rush on the new bikes, plan was not to get them until end of April...more or less, maybe the middle of April, want the roads clean, and no rain.....as if that is going to happen....

Appreciate the offer on the tube, I will keep you posted, but what is this about mail....just hop on that bike and drive it over....LOL

Glad to hear the lad is looking to get into riding, now get cracking on that 550...

As for weather, I hope it stays nice, I want to at least give the truck a wash and get the winter film off of her.....

Cheers

found your old thread on the throttle tube mod....Thanks

Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I can get this for the throttle.....

Hello, The Throttle grip for a 2004 R1 (4YR-26240-02-00) is $18.18 and would have to be ordered in for you, delivery normally takes approximately 3 days. If you would like to place an order please give one of our parts advisor a call to place an order. Thank you.

I need grips as well, are they a standard size, diameter, length, etc, open end I guess so I can put the bar ends on, right ?

Comment

Jeez, they've gone up in price but that's what you need.

Grips are standard sportbike type open at both ends. One will be slightly larger I.D. so as to fit over the throttle tube. You should have "bar ends" that fit into the tubes for the finished appearance.

Don't forget to get some "grip glue" to hold them in place too.

You should be able to get those at any bike store but if you want a variety and some entertainment take a run up to Royal Distributing http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/ and 2 Wheel Motorsports http://www.twowheelmotorsport.com/index.htm in Guelph. Tons of gear and parts.

Royal should have a spring sale coming up soon to.

Come to think of it, I think there is a bike show this weekend in TO as well http://www.supershowevents.com/spring/

Lots of places to get some kit.

Cheers,
                    Spyug

Comment

Going to look at the chap PVC mod as well, might do the trick....

Rather spend the cash on some grips instead, and I do have the bar ends, one is a bit scuffed, but hardly noticeable

going to see what Brampton Power Sports has for grips if I decide to go and get the throttle tube

Yes Royal is a great place, especially when they have their sales going on...

went to the earlier bike show, not really impressed, actually was never impressed at any type of these shows, never really saw any great deals, same prices as going to the stores....hit car shows, snowmobile shows, outdoor shows, and the bike shows, not worth it in my opinion....

I just wish I had a Suzuki dealer closer by....

good tip on the grip glue.....I heard hair spray would do the same ? maybe I am mixing it up and it was something else....

Cheers

Comment

You can just use some spraypaint in place of the grip glue I've heard. Save you a few dollars if you have some extra paint lying around.

Comment

Yup spray paint and hairspray will do it too. My favourite is actually a bit weird but it does work double duty, as a lube to get them on and then a glue. Liquid dish detergent. The tiniest bit smeared inside the grip will help it on and when it dries will hold things in place. When it comes time to get them off a bit of hot water squirted in from the higher side will turn it back to a lube and they'll slip right off.

The purests will decry this as unsafe but it does work. Four years and holding fine on mine. If you ride in a lot of rain ( I don't) it might not be the best method since water could seep in, so bear that in mind.

(Legal disclaimer) Published for information purposes only. The author does not promote this procedure. Please use at your own risk and don't blame me if you use too much and **** it up

Spyug

Comment

lots of spray paint lying around, dish soap as well,,,,,,but even more hair spray.....and no it's not my hairspray......

Thanks for the info, and I hold no one responsible for my own actions...

Comment

I have always done the dish washing liquid as well, never had a problem, works like a dream.

Comment

I've used spay paint a few times.Weather here is just to unpredictable here to chance the dish soap idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X