1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seat_incovered

Well last night I took the cover off of the seat, painted the underside of the seat pan, painted the metal bracket as well, everything looks good as far as the foam is concerned, so going to take it all now to the upholstery place, and have it recovered, going to be smooth as they cannot do the lines in the seat vinyl, and going to use a carbon fiber look for the new vinyl, and maybe since the bike will be white, might do the strap in a white vinyl, maybe, or it will be the same as the rest.

Still debating of getting a cover from pit replica, I just have not really really decided....

a few pictures

the skin....

the bottom side

the bottom repainted

the top as it was, no change

just the pan on the bike

A yellow seat....not really what I would do, but hey the foam looks really good, no mold, no dead spots, no lumps, it's almost perfect, that original cover held up really well and protected that foam perfectly, not bad for 30 years........

this is the stuff I was going to use for the new cover

Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

That foam really has held up well!

That fabric looks good too, should stop you sliding around too much.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

If you're going for a Collector plate, try not to make the seat stand out too much. A white strap, would.
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          That foam really has held up well!

That fabric looks good too, should stop you sliding around too much.
          it only looks like it's bumpy, but it's actually smooth, so really no anti sliding effect at all

What I found neat was even the foam has the ridges in it just like the cover itself, I thought the foam would be just smooth, very interesting on how it molded itself to the ridges as well

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          If you're going for a Collector plate, try not to make the seat stand out too much. A white strap, would.
          Hmm never thought about that, did not know I could get a collector plate, when I was asking about insurance I mentioned it was an old bike, but it seemed that did not matter with regards to rates, and I thought I said hey, it's old should it not be classed differently, more or less was told no....

Maybe I do the strap in plain vinyl instead, it won't stand out as much then.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

That Carbon FX is great seat material, I have it on my 700

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              Do they even have Collector plate in Otnscaryio?

Comment

I don't believe so

Comment

Guess that is a minor perk of a government run insurance.

Comment

Just clear coat that foam and roll on GK! Nah....

I like the carbon fiber on the seat a lot. IF I ever re-up my seat I would want to incorporate it into the cover. It gives it a modern look without standing out too much.

...and nice job on the seat pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                      Just clear coat that foam and roll on GK! Nah....

I like the carbon fiber on the seat a lot. IF I ever re-up my seat I would want to incorporate it into the cover. It gives it a modern look without standing out too much.

...and nice job on the seat pan.
                      I figured a bit of saran wrap on the foam and I was gong to be good to go....

I was thinking the same as you, I figured the Carbon FX would give the bike a bit of an update but not over the top...

Comment

Do they even have Collector plate in Otnscaryio?
                        Actually they do but as I understand it they denote limited usage as in take it to the display....ride it home. Not really an all the time street plate. I'm not sure how you even go about getting one . Oddly, I saw my first one today down at my pro wrench's shop. They are blue with yellow numbers.

The seat is going to look "bitchin" but is that going to be costly? I thought about getting mine redone a year or so ago but they quote close to $300 so that was a none starter.

Anyhoo, I'm still waiting for the engine to get done. What's the amended ETA on that?

cheers,
                        spyug

Comment

Sorry......no ETA on the engine......

for the seat - 150 bucks......

Comment

Another vote for the carbon look.
                            If you going to go with a collectors plate, just keep the strap plain until you get the plate, then do what you will with it.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                              Actually they do but as I understand it they denote limited usage as in take it to the display....ride it home. Not really an all the time street plate. I'm not sure how you even go about getting one . Oddly, I saw my first one today down at my pro wrench's shop. They are blue with yellow numbers.
                              cheers,
                              spyug
                              Here you can ride pretty much anywhere.It can't be your primary vehicle and there are commuting restrictions.Will be perfect for the Skunk.Owers are white with black numbers and letters.

Comment

Woooooo hoooooooo

Good Times is my HERO........

After weeks of looking for bolts, online, offline, local shops, and so on.....

Our very own GSR member Good Times came through for me......He was able to source them out, get them ordered and has them in his hands, ready to ship........to me

Finally the elusive M10X35 and 40 fine thread bolts have become a reality, OK they are not Stainless Steel, but they are Nickel Plated, they are just as shiny as SS bolts, and it will all be OK they will match perfectly with the other ones.

I am so HAPPY.....

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You............

Comment

Working...
                                X