1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brslk View Post
    Shhhh! Don't let the Americans here know we are allowed to have guns!
    (you will spoil the invasion!)

Bruce.
    Americans dont need guns ha, good ole pencil through the head,no more invasion, whoo hooo lol, oh im kiddn frenchys lol, this is where bond and mission impossible music comes in.....

Comment

Well, still nothing to add to this thread, in way of pictures or movement.

I am at a standstill......

Waiting for parts (one month now) to arrive, hopefully soon from BS, once they arrive I can move on, I will then order new tires, found a local guy to install the new tire for 20 bucks, sweet, beats the local dealer at a hundred bucks, take the seat in to get redone.

And I hear rumblings that I might get the engine in the shop this week, so that will get done, and I might be able to put that back into the frame.

Going to go and get the throttle tube using the R1 as mentioned, give me a shorter twist of the throttle, grab some new grips at the same time.

Tins will go for painting soon after, going to use what I have, no new side covers have been found, and the hole I have in the rear tail light lens, I filled up with hot glue, should keep the water out.

If I wasn't waiting on parts, I would be so much further ahead....ohhh well

Comment

Kind of doing the same thing here,waiting on the steering head bearings.Was hoping they would be here this week

Comment

I don't mind so much the waiting, it's when 1 week turns into 2, then 3 and then a month, it just eats away at ya....

not knowing what to do, today I painted the inside of the brake pistons, ohhh well at least they are no longer rust in color....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            Well, still nothing to add to this thread, in way of pictures or movement.

I am at a standstill......

Waiting for parts (one month now) to arrive, hopefully soon from BS, once they arrive I can move on, I will then order new tires, found a local guy to install the new tire for 20 bucks, sweet, beats the local dealer at a hundred bucks, take the seat in to get redone.

And I hear rumblings that I might get the engine in the shop this week, so that will get done, and I might be able to put that back into the frame.

Going to go and get the throttle tube using the R1 as mentioned, give me a shorter twist of the throttle, grab some new grips at the same time.

Tins will go for painting soon after, going to use what I have, no new side covers have been found, and the hole I have in the rear tail light lens, I filled up with hot glue, should keep the water out.

If I wasn't waiting on parts, I would be so much further ahead....ohhh well
            Going with the R1?

Are you interested in Posplayer's $1 throttle tube mod?

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              While we are talking controls, you might want to consider 'quickening" up the throttle. If it is currently stock you will notice there is a lot of travel to get full throttle. When riding you will find this uncomfortable as even 1/3 to 1/2 throttle brings your fist right back to 90 deg to the wrist. You will find you are constantly adjusting your grip to get relief.

Now somewhere in the archives is a "bodge" for tightening things up using a piece of PVC tube. A few of the guys have done this. Me, being basically lazy, went for the off the shelve fix. Wander on down to your local Yammie dealer and order up a throttle tube from an R1 (2000 and up I believe) around $13/15. Fits right in no fuss no muss. Full throttle in 1/2 the distance.

While you are at it, I'd also suggest changing the grips too. Those ones have no 'give" to them unlike the more modern squishy rubber ones. The harder ones translate some vibes at certain revs I found.

Coming along nicely but methinks you are stalling on the engine no?

Anyway still about 3 weeks to go but have you noticed the weather? I'm playing hooky this aft and am heading for the country.

Cheers,
              spyug
              Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              Going with the R1?

Are you interested in Posplayer's $1 throttle tube mod?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=135697
              See above for the R1 throttle change.

I need new grips, so grabbing the new throttle tube and grips all at the same time, seemed like a good way to go.

I saw Posplayer's throttle tube mod as well, and a great way of doing the same and if I didn't need new grips, it would have been the way to go for sure

Thanks for bringing it up again, just in case I can't get the R1 parts, I can go this route instead.....

and this is what it came out to when my local Yammi dealer was called

Hello, The Throttle grip for a 2004 R1 (4YR-26240-02-00) is $18.18 and would have to be ordered in for you, delivery normally takes approximately 3 days. If you would like to place an order please give one of our parts advisor a call to place an order. Thank you.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I was wondering what you've been up to. I'm glad to hear you may be getting to the engine soon. Just take your time with it drilling and tapping those holes. You've waited this long so don't go F'ng it up now. I am looking forward to the pics, however

Myself, I am back into wrenching, with a vengance and got into the new 550 today. Amazing what you can accomplish when the "boss" takes her annual pilgrimage to Florida. 2 weeks of me time I got the carbs changed out for clean ones and she runs but read about my "weird" electrical issue. Oh well tha's what GS ridin and wrenchin is all about.

As I've mentioned before, waiting is a pain. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I was impatient as a kid but now as an old fart watching the sands of my time run out, I go stark raving nuts.

Anyway, I hope you get what you need soon and get back on it. I miss all the pics of shiney parts

Cheers mate,
                spyug

Comment

i have a lil progress on mine gk, let me know what ya think for these, they are rattle can,and cleared i hope they hold up i dont want it to nice but i want it to look decent

Comment

here is after , it wouldnt let me load them together
                    i worked on the forks today what a pain in the a$s, one had a bad washer in it took forever to get apart, now i have to order more $hit

no im not restoring it like you i dont have the money or time so i enjoy your build lol
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

they look very good, nice job...

Comment

thanks gk, so much more to do

Comment

yup,,,,and so little time to do it in......

I have about 4 weeks left, if it's not done, it will be shelved.....

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                          no im not restoring it like you i dont have the money or time so i enjoy your build lol
                          money for my restore is actually very little so far, it's mostly time, a few cans of paint, some buffing wheels, and so on, not big ticket items so far, to get to where I am and what I have done, it's soon that I need to spend the big bucks, tires, paint, battery, up to now, it's been relatively cheap, for which I am thankful.....

some things I just have to buy and spend the money on, but the painting of the frame and parts, the polishing, was on the cheap, but it did take time, so usually a few hours after work, or before bed time, sneak off to the garage and get busy......

I am glad it's getting to the end, can't wait to finish if time permits and ride the bike once again....

Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I have about 4 weeks left, if it's not done, it will be shelved.....
                            HUH?????
                            What is this I hear, best get on the blower and kick Ashley's ass for your parts, I haven't been following along to see all your work under a tarp in the back of the garage, that will never do. I expect to see a start up video.
                            As far as doing it on the cheap, oe would never say by the work you have done, but you and me both, I know all about skimming a few bucks off the grocery money every month for paint and little bits and pieces.
                            I am dreading the big ticket items, and I have a motor right next to the work bench constatntly reminding me, it needs love, as in $$$$$$$.
                            But hopfully that and the gauges will be the only real big ticket items.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              HUH?????
                              What is this I hear, best get on the blower and kick Ashley's ass for your parts, I haven't been following along to see all your work under a tarp in the back of the garage, that will never do. I expect to see a start up video.
                              As far as doing it on the cheap, oe would never say by the work you have done, but you and me both, I know all about skimming a few bucks off the grocery money every month for paint and little bits and pieces.
                              I am dreading the big ticket items, and I have a motor right next to the work bench constatntly reminding me, it needs love, as in $$$$$$$.
                              But hopfully that and the gauges will be the only real big ticket items.
                              I will try and not dissappoint......

I have been told parts are on the way....I will believe it when I see them in the mailbox.....

I have more faith in my buddy GoodTimes, I bet his stuff gets to me before the stuff from BS, and they have had almost 4 weeks.....

hopefully 4 weeks will get me completed, to at least running, might not be rideable, but running, tires and tin painting will take the longest, but I did not want to order stuff, before I get other things completed....

OK, I won't give up, I will get it done, plus I need the room in the garage, and a unfinished bike takes up more room than a finished one....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                .........it's soon that I need to spend the big bucks, tires, paint, battery, up to now, it's been relatively cheap, for which I am thankful.....

I'm hitting that real big time now and its really hurting. Rubber, suspension, powder coat, paint on body parts. New parts like seals, bearings, etc. are expected. But now I'm crawling into needing fork sliders, regulator - every piece I now touch seems to need replacement.

I really didn't want to open up the engine, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Anyway, it gets frustrating at times, but soldier on!
                                1983 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X