1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, it gets frustrating at times
    That is definitely the way of it friends. I'm up against it too with both my Kat project and the new 550 and its happened on just about every bike I've fiddled with.

I started in on the 550 yeaterday. The goal is to get it running and road tested sometime this week. I will pretty it up later in the year or maybe over next winter. For now get it ready.

It had sat for 3 years so there was no sense in dicking with it the carbs needed cleaning. Luckily, I had done the carbs on the "basket case from hell" last year so I figured they should be clean enough and I swapped them over.

Now the bike fired up and does run but its not running well and I put it down to the carbs being gummed again from sitting or more likely a bad plug. I had pulled and cleaned the plugs and while they all looked good, there could be a bum one I figure.

As I had it running, I figure I'll check charging and thats when things went strange. Read my latest post about the weirdest thing I have ever seen in the electrical section. So now there is a possibility of a plug wire arcing and that could also explain why its not running 100% so now I have to track that down. Fortuantely, I have two good coils on the parts bike so a switch out will be required.

So yup in this game its a step forward and 3 back but if you perservere, you will get there. One stategy that works for me is that when the problems seem to overwhelm, step away for awhile, take a breather and do something else to take your mind off it. In time you'll go back to it and continue on. It has always worked for me.

You guys will get there too and when you do its going to feel stellar. Put the champagne on ice

Cheers mates,
    Spyug

Comment

Platinum, what paint did you use on those covers?
      It looks like they have been sand-blasted and clear-coated.

Eric

Comment

WOW,,,,,there is movement......

Still, a long way from me.......

Track & Confirm

Processed Through Sort Facility

April 01, 2012, 9:07 am

ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

International Parcels

Arrived at Sort Facility

April 01, 2012, 9:05 am

ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Electronic Shipping Info Received

March 27, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Platinum, what paint did you use on those covers?
          It looks like they have been sand-blasted and clear-coated.

Eric
          its silver metallic,and clear, i used it on a 3wheeler a while back, fuel resistant as well so i went with it ,i think it will work fine,atleast better than it was,it was very durable rustoleum fast drying
          and MADE IN (U.S.A)!

Comment

it's getting closer...........

I just might get this stuff before the long weekend......

Priority Mail International Parcels

Arrival at Post Office

April 04, 2012, 8:24 am

CANADA

International Parcels

Customs clearance processing complete

April 03, 2012, 12:48 pm

CANADA

Customs Clearance

April 03, 2012, 11:47 am

CANADA

April 03, 2012, 11:47 am

CANADA

April 01, 2012, 9:07 am

ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Arrived at Sort Facility

April 01, 2012, 9:05 am

ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Electronic Shipping Info Received

March 27, 2012

Comment

Well something has arrived, waiting for me at the Post Office, bloody letter carrier person was do lazy to knock on the door and leave the parcel with my wife, so now I have to hope it's there by 4 today, or get it tomorrow after 1.....

What I don't like is it has a COD charge of 43 bucks

So either the package from Boulevard Suzuki is getting dinged for something, or it's the parcel sent by GoodTimes.......I will not know until I get it and see what this is for and from which person.....

Bloody highway robbery if you ask me............

Comment

$43.00? Sounds like you got dinged for taxes and brokerage on something...I know my order from Boulevard at Christmas got dinged. I think if it had been delivered USPS it might have made it through
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It did go via USPS, or so I was told.....another reason I will never order from the US again......

I saved absolutely nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waited a month to get the parts !!!!!!!!!!

And it cost me the same as if I had ordered it here locally !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just dying to see the package and it's contents, bet ya, it won't even be right....

I have lost all faith in this entire transaction, my gut told me to get it locally, but no, I had to think I was going to be ahead somehow......

Live and Learn, I guess

I will hold off any further comments until I actually see this package, and find out it's origin......

Comment

I wouldn't give up on US orders, but I'm becoming increasingly discriminating in what I order, and to where it is delivered.

Being in Vancouver, I do have the easy option of popping across the border to pickup and avoid brokerage. However, it does cost me a few hours out of my day that Id rather be using for something else, so I try to make a trip out of it and do something else while I'm on the other side.

My order from Boulevard at Christmas saved me over $320!

My local dealer could give me a head gasket for less than half of what I was able to find it for, after shipping from the states. The nice thing about dealers is you generally are not paying for shipping individual items.

Anyhow, the rebuild (Restore?) is coming along nicely. You'll be riding again shortly enough.
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post

What I don't like is it has a COD charge of 43 bucks

So either the package from Boulevard Suzuki is getting dinged for something, or it's the parcel sent by GoodTimes.......I will not know until I get it and see what this is for and from which person.....

Bloody highway robbery if you ask me............
                      WHAAAATTT!!! I sure hope it isn't the package I sent!

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                        I wouldn't give up on US orders, but I'm becoming increasingly discriminating in what I order, and to where it is delivered.

Being in Vancouver, I do have the easy option of popping across the border to pickup and avoid brokerage. However, it does cost me a few hours out of my day that Id rather be using for something else, so I try to make a trip out of it and do something else while I'm on the other side.

My order from Boulevard at Christmas saved me over $320!

My local dealer could give me a head gasket for less than half of what I was able to find it for, after shipping from the states. The nice thing about dealers is you generally are not paying for shipping individual items.

Anyhow, the rebuild (Restore?) is coming along nicely. You'll be riding again shortly enough.
                        I had the exact same parts priced out over here, from a local dealer, bill came out to 50 bucks more, could have had everything in 15 days, not 30, and if something is not right, I could go back to the local dealer, all I can hope for right now, is all the items are the correct ones, it will be a real pain if something is wrong......

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                          WHAAAATTT!!! I sure hope it isn't the package I sent!
                          I hope not......as well

doubt it it's yours, based on tracking info from USPS and Canada Post what is waiting for me should be from BS

Comment

Awwww, damn GK, that is a real bummer, I feel your pain, stuff like that really hacks me off as well, and I am funny that way, stuff me around once and that is the end of it, my money goes elsewhere, I guess I should be more tolerant.......nah.
                            I am just thankful that I have an excellent procurement and shipping company Statesides, or I would be on stress medication.

Comment

And to top it off, the mail carrier, decides to not even come to the door today with the package, drives right by the house (wife was at home) goes to the community mailbox, and drops off the parcel pickup slip in my mailbox, stating no drop off was possible as no one was at home to answer and sign for the package......what a load of CRAP

So I tried to get the package latter tonight, the bugger didn't even drop it off at the post office, seems he left it in his truck, and it will be dropped off tomorrow, this is not the first time this SOB has done this, I have a call into Canada Post, and lodged a complaint, waiting to hear from his supervisor, he/she is gonna get a figgen earful that's for sure.

At least if they are at the post office tomorrow, I will be able to do something this long weekend, and that will depend if the parts are the right ones.......

Way too stressful this was, good thing my Crown Royal was nearby, and a Cuban cigar, I was able to forget about it all for at least an hour.......

Tomorrow will hopefully be a better day.......

I might even take the seat in to get the upholstery guys going on it....at least that I have already set up for price, so no surprises there....should get it back in about 3 days, unless they have gotten busy, but it is Easter weekend, so I figure by end of next week it will be ready for sure.....

Hey maybe even the bolts that GoodTimes has mailed to me, might show up.....

It can only get better right.....

Comment

Just remember GK... when it gets this crappy, it can only get better!
                                (At least that's what I tell myself to stop me from punching people)

Bruce.

Comment

Working...
                                X