X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drill and Tap

Well the work has been completed.....

Engine is now ready for paint....

Afew pics of the work today....sorry I don't have finished pictures of the cover on, will try to do one latter on, maybe tomorrow.

Took us about 2.5 hours, no jigs, no nothing, everyting was by eyeball, and a steady hand, hope to heck it works out.....

I can now once again move forward......

Comment

Finally. So you really do still have an engine Slap on the paint and get it back in the frame and you'll feel like you've broken the back on this project, then you can get on to the next one.

I had the Morgan Carbtune out on the 550 today and I remembered how to use it so I think I'll be able to get you carbies in synch. Just don't wait too long, being an old fart, I'm liable to forget after a week or three

So its looking a lot less like a potential lawn ornament now. Good for you.

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

I was lucky, I purchased some Duplicolor cleaner yesterday, removes the wax and grease, and to be used before painting, so I brushed it on the engine while at the shop, and used the air hose to get all the crap out of the nook and crannies, she is now spotless, and almost ready for paint.....for sure...

My only concern is how the heck am I going to do the bottom of the motor the same time as I am dong the top, it's sitting on my little dolly, I have to suspend the whole thing some how....that is my question.....always a snag...

I will try to get this sorted out soon, and we can use the carbtune, before you forget, and if you do, well we can spend time figuring on how to do it from the start, I still need to bench sync the carbs, I believe....

I have to buy studs for the exhaust as well, and I think I will use acorn nuts, I think it will work...but I really don't know

so now only a few things left

Battery, Tires, and get the dings out of the headers and then wrap them.....

tin painting and well I just might have a bike ..... and not a lawn ornament....

Cheers

Comment

At last! Looks to me like you should be fine.Time to & may be a to.
          OK posted beore me.Studs and acorns shoud be good.I just let the top sit for a bit then flipped it over and did the bottom.Yeah I had to do a little touch up .
          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Yup time to move on along.....lol

going to try and get the studs tomorrow, if my local place has them in stock, finish up any cleaning and and if the weather is fine, hit the engine with paint, just trying to figure out on how to suspend the sucker.....so I can get at it from all angles and sides at once..

Comment

Down with lawn ornaments!!

I'm officially impressed. Nice work on drilling and tapping those new holes!

It's almost there.... Can't wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                I was lucky, I purchased some Duplicolor cleaner yesterday, removes the wax and grease, and to be used before painting, so I brushed it on the engine while at the shop, and used the air hose to get all the crap out of the nook and crannies, she is now spotless, and almost ready for paint.....for sure...

My only concern is how the heck am I going to do the bottom of the motor the same time as I am dong the top, it's sitting on my little dolly, I have to suspend the whole thing some how....that is my question.....always a snag...

I will try to get this sorted out soon, and we can use the carbtune, before you forget, and if you do, well we can spend time figuring on how to do it from the start, I still need to bench sync the carbs, I believe....

I have to buy studs for the exhaust as well, and I think I will use acorn nuts, I think it will work...but I really don't know

so now only a few things left

Battery, Tires, and get the dings out of the headers and then wrap them.....

tin painting and well I just might have a bike ..... and not a lawn ornament....

Cheers

Paint the bottom first and let it cure. Then flip it to paint the top and sides. No one will ever see the bottom.

Comment

Awesome GK! No stoppin' ya' now!
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Brslk has the right of it and if you are careful and sit it on something soft you only have to wait a couple days to set it back on its bottom as long as you set it softly without rubbing around.

Paul

Comment

Paint the bottom first. Shine a couple of halogen work lamps on it for 6 or 8 hours and it will cure up enough that you can right it and carry on.

What paint are you using?

Cheers,
                      spyug

Comment

I am going to go with the VHT brand, engine enamel paint

Learn more about how its specially formulated to withstand corrosion, rust, salt spray, chemicals and additives of today?s gasoline blends and degreasers.

or was it Dupli-Color....cant remember

I can get it at my local Canadian Tire...

unless there is a better choice ?

Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I've used both and I don't recall which one but one of them is less resistant to gas...go figure. Mind you, having said that I'm thinking that the paint wasn't fully cured perhaps.

I think if you make sure to bake it as I suggested either should work. Just don't rush it.

Pictures by Friday would be fine

Cheers,
                          Your pal,
                          Spyug

Comment

Of course the idea is to keep the fuel INside the carbs, hey Spyug...

Hat....coat...door ------------>

Comment

Great Spyug, nice little tid bit of info, but you don't tell me which one....is the better or the worse of the 2.......

Don't need to wait for Friday for pictures, I can post many right now,,,,,,but not of what you want.....LOL

it's crappy weather this week, Wednesday looks promising, so maybe a quick spray, at least on the bottom......just to see how it goes....

Anyone have a 1inch steel ball bearing, they can lend/give/throw me......I really need to get the dents out of the headers, or I am just going to wrap them as they are.....at least I won't have to paint them.....
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I am just going to wrap them
                                NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you heathen savage, put your hands where I can see them and step away from the motorcycle....slowly.

Comment

Working...
                                X