No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, your right, every little bit helps, and is one step closer to completion...

Sounds like your day was about as good as mine....LOL

I am sure I will get them on (carbs) just might be a bit of a fight, getting the boots on the carbs was a real pain, the boots were oil covered, still had a bit of a struggle, as you said the heat might work as well.

Engine is not back in.....buddy did not show up, he is sick, so he stayed home, and tomorrow is a write off, so that's it for now.....his wife stopped by and brought over his hydraulic jack, so at least I have that to help me out.

Well the whole night was not lost, I drank my Crown, had my cigar, and just watched COPS.....wooohoooo what a fun evening....

Comment

Gatekeeper,

Soaking rubber boots in oil wont do squat, try brake fluid for 24hrs or so.

cheers John.

Comment

Looking good GK!

I applied a bit of rubber grease on the inside of my original intake boots to get the carbs in, but I found that not only were they stiff, but the rubber had also shrunk, so no matter how tight I did the clamps up the outside diameter was still too small to clamp properly and the inside diameter was not pliable enough to seal properly, so intake leaks galore and the associated hanging idle.

New intake boots are chalk and cheese in comparison, no need for lube to get the carbs in and no intake leaks with the clamps down firmly.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

head light

Well not much done today, just a little bit, but I would like to give Thanks to Z1, for their excellent customer service, and dedication to being there for us.

In my other post, I mentioned how I ordered a number of items from Z1, and unfortunately the wrong items came, even though I and Z1 thought they were the right ones. Well I also sent an email to Z1, and today I got a phone call from them, telling me they see the error on the bolt kit, it's not for my particular bike, but a different version of my bike, one that actually needed the 69 bolts, and this should not have been sent to me.

So they are going to send me the proper kit, no charge to me, so that I can have the right bolts, both in quantity and proper length's, as well since this mistake was found they have updated their web site, so that the wrong kit is no longer associated to the bike I have, 83 GS750E, but the right kit is and only the right kit #661, this will cause less confusion to other customers and will insure they get the right bolt kit....

Kudo's once again to Z1 Enterprises

As for me doing anything on the bike, well very little, I buttoned up the electrical in the front behind the light, ran the cables, clutch, throttle, brake, speedo, etc, and installed the headlight...

That's it for today.....

Comment

Slow and steady wins the race!

I figure by August or September she'll be good to go, but by then it'll be time to put her to sleep again

Seriously, a little bit every day and it'll be done in no time now.

Cheers man,
            spyug

Comment

Well geeeeee whiz, Thanks for that vote of confidence....LOL

I was actually pushing towards November, then I can at least get the sleds out and ride them instead....hehehehehe

Trying to round up muscle to get the motor in, hopefully this week...

Comment

@$@$@$#%$%^%&#^%%@#%@#$^#$%#

I can't get it in........

@#$^#%&%^*$^%#$%@#%#$^$%&^

the friggen motor

#$^$%&%^*^&*(%^*%^&*$%^#$^$%^@

Comment

Ahhh yes,try doing it twice,with your wife because you forgot the ^%*&^$&&#@ airbox

Comment

You just need to work out more

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      Ahhh yes,try doing it twice,with your wife because you forgot the ^%*&^$&&#@ airbox
                      That right there is half the problem, @$%#%# airbox is in the friggen way...

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                      You just need to work out more
                      Your probably right on that , I just don't see how it's gonna help getting the motor in.....

I have an idea, but it won't happen right away, and this thing with 2 jacks, or long rods, just didn't cut it, something just wasn't jelling tonight

%@#%@#$%@#%@#$%#$%

Comment

take the mag/ cover off, clutch cover,and clutch out, and definitely take off the valve cover, oh and the starter this way you will not scratch those polished covers either
                        it will be a lot lighter and easier to pick up! it worked for me
                        wire or tie up the air box with string its a pain in the arss either way i forgot to put my air box in so i had to take mine out , but it went in real easy, but i lift over 200 if your a smaller guy maybe a buddy could help ya

Comment

@platinm2,,,,,Thanks for the info, all very good ideas, and something to really think about...

And unfortunately, I am not a small guy....LOL

I can lift the whole engine as is, mind you not very high or carry it very far, but trying to wiggle it into the frame, well that really will not happen....

I just have to take my time, and formulate a plan, I have something in mind, just have to execute it...

but for today I was busy doing other things, and it had nothing to do with motorcycles....

This was yesterday....

And this was today...

much more fun....LOL

Comment

Nice GK! Both the hot tub and the bike. I can't believe how close you are getting! And to have that sweet jacuzzi to relax in after a long ride, well it just doesn't get much better than that.
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Did that frame damage affect the geometery? If it rides ok- I'd take a grinder and grind the paint away from that rectangular area and weld a rectangular patch of .125" right over where its pushed in. I'd leave the pushed in part just as it is. The patch will give it strength again. I'd fix the frame 1st...everything else could wait!

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                                Did that frame damage affect the geometery? If it rides ok- I'd take a grinder and grind the paint away from that rectangular area and weld a rectangular patch of .125" right over where its pushed in. I'd leave the pushed in part just as it is. The patch will give it strength again. I'd fix the frame 1st...everything else could wait!
                                Frame was fixed way back when......before much of anything was done

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X