No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops. I was only on page 1 of 98 pages! Disregard..... I just changed my control panel and am getting used to it...

Comment

Frame repair

That frame repair looks great from here! Good job!

Comment

No worries.......

It's a long thread.......full rebuild

hey if you find anything, do let me know, a fresh set of eyes always helps....

change your view to 40 pages at once, lot less pages to go through and you see more at once......

Comment

I like that pinesol carb dip trick. What's the dilution? I'm about to do some carb work... How does pinesol compare to the carb dip in the big can?

Comment

Hey GK can you open up you Photobucket album for public viewing.
            That way we could see the full progression thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
              I like that pinesol carb dip trick. What's the dilution? I'm about to do some carb work... How does pinesol compare to the carb dip in the big can?
              one bottle of pinsol to one pail of water, 5 gallon pail, and the one large bottle of pinsol

the dip is hard to get here in Canada, and I went the cheap route, pinsol, still needed some manual scrubbing

there are no shortcuts to a good job, be it dips, pinsol, or ultrasonic cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                I can open it up, but, most of the pics there are the same ones here in the thread, I don't have really any extra on photobucket, all the extra ones are on my PC in the house, and those include the crappy ones.

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                  I've done the pine sol method, I think it sucks! To me, it doesn't clean better than Kem Dip, I used full strength, and your supposed to use the regular, not the lemon or scented crap, still, didn't do all that much, I heard it works better if you have something for agitation, But I won't waste my money on it again, I've cleaned 3 sets of carbs so far and several petcocks and other items with the same can of carb dip.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    link to the albums

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

I've been reading this page by page- up to p.34 now. It's a great start...I'll read it all as time allows. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                        I've done the pine sol method, I think it sucks! To me, it doesn't clean better than Kem Dip, I used full strength, and your supposed to use the regular, not the lemon or scented crap, still, didn't do all that much, I heard it works better if you have something for agitation, But I won't waste my money on it again, I've cleaned 3 sets of carbs so far and several petcocks and other items with the same can of carb dip.

I would never use any carp dip again. Pine-sol works like magic.
                        I dunno what you did wrong but you screwed up somewhere if it didn`t work for you.
                        No agitation required.
                        Let it soak overnight.
                        The house or garage smells piney!
                        And it costs about 1/10 of the price.

Comment

GK have you thought about putting down some padding and laying the engine on its side and the laying down the frame around it? I have heard that works really well. That and using two jacks and a couple of pieces of wood to slide it straight over. I know there are a couple of threads about that somewhere.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                            GK have you thought about putting down some padding and laying the engine on its side and the laying down the frame around it? I have heard that works really well. That and using two jacks and a couple of pieces of wood to slide it straight over. I know there are a couple of threads about that somewhere.

Paul
                            I tried that, but with everything he has on the frame it would be a bear. It's easy to scratch stuff up as well with it on it's side. I tried and failed with that method.

Comment

Hey Paul...

Thought about all the ideas you mention....with everything more or less bolted to the frame, she is one heavy bugger to lift up and drop onto the engine, gotta round up the troops for that one, so each person can hold up a corner...LOL

I tired the 2 jack system and boards, see pic above, (only shows 1 jack, but the other was there as well) this didn't work, engine ends up too high, air box is in the way, everything is unstable and moves around, and trying to move a 200 pound motor around in a small area, and not damaging my beautiful paint job (which by the way, the frame is scared up already from trying),,,,,so

I am pondering other ways of getting this done..... :-(

this is my idea....

getting an engine hoist, and have motor hanging, lay bike on it's side, and slowly drop engine into frame, can be a one man operation, actually...I have the hoist at brothers shop, just have to get it from there, if that will even be possible, we don't speak, that gets in the way of getting stuff......

Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

I really think the best way of doing this is with good old brute force and ignorance.

You need to round up some muscle. Preferrably around 4 strong backs. You'll need at least 2 of them to lift the engine to the frame and one on the oposite side to receive it and help guide it in. The 4 th guy should be there to steady the bike ( he/she can be the weakest of the bunch).

In that regard the bike needs to be held more firmly upright and "paddock stands" front and back would help. If you don't want to buy them, they can be cobbled up from 2x4s.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but its easiest to do it with the frame over engine as previously mentioned but without the front end, swing arm and rear wheel being fitted. I've done 3 that way and it was relatively a snap and easily done with 2 strong lads.

I would volunteer to assist but it would be next weekend before I could get loose from the lady with the chore list.

Sorry to read that its giving you pains but I think its worth trying to do it with muscle power rather than the crane. I don't think you'll be able to manouver that in close enough due to the width of the "feet". I'll bet they will hit the tires.

Let me know if you can wait abit and I can help.

cheers,
                                Spyug

Comment

Working...
                                X