No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get that seat cover? I like it! Bike looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by smarzinski View Post
      Where did you get that seat cover? I like it! Bike looks great!
      Covered by a local auto upholstry shop, near me, was given the name of the place by a bike shop I went to looking for part for my build, didn't get any parts but got the address for these guys instead.

It's vinyl with a carbon fibre look, and some white stitching, strap is not on yet, still deciding

more pictures are here

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

about half way down....

Thanks for the compliment...

Comment

hehehe, now you cookin' with gas GK, nice to see that hot oily lump filling that cavity under the tank, just where it belongs, like the guys said, you should get some good riding in soon, job well done.

Comment

Hey Fly.....you know, I didn't think I was gonna get in there, was almost ready to pull the air box off, and struggle with pods.......

but glad it finally went in, with a bit of persuasion, so it's full steam ahead.....

Cheers

Comment

carb floats

So I decided to remove the bowls from the carbs, and check the height of the floats, and sure enough they were off, so I adjusted, but I think I messed up....

I set the calipers at 22.04mm instead of the 22.4mm as recommended...

Will this make a huge difference ?

I really don't want to take them apart again......

also how do you guys adjust, do you remove the float and bend the tab ? or leave it in place and push and twist the tab a bit by using a small screwdriver and apply pressure on the tab ? I did it the second way, I was lazy to remove them....

Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2012, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Theoretically 3 tenths of a mil is huge. In the real world it doesn't make a difference. Fuel level in bowl is always changing as the bike doesn't run true level- climbing and descending hills and leaning on turns etc.
              You could readjust .3 mil, but you'll never notice a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by surviverguy View Post
                Theoretically 3 tenths of a mil is huge. In the real world it doesn't make a difference. Fuel level in bowl is always changing as the bike doesn't run true level- climbing and descending hills and leaning on turns etc.
                You could readjust .3 mil, but you'll never notice a difference.
                For sure,,,,,it's not a rocket ship, right....

So I will leave it as is.

Just didn't want to put them in, and have to take them out again, they are a real pain to do that......

Thanks for the info....

Comment

If you look at the specs it comes out to be 22.4mm +/- 1.0mm so you're fine.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    If you look at the specs it comes out to be 22.4mm +/- 1.0mm so you're fine.
                    Excellent.....I thought I would be OK, but always better to measure twice and cut once as they say.....

long weekend coming up, going to try and button it all up, maybe even a chance to fire her up....

Comment

Some progress tonight....

Rear brake caliper bolts shortened by 5mm, now they fit perfectly and don't hit the brake rotor ( I measured wrong and ordered wrong ), after that bled the rear brake, feels good

Installed gaskets for the stator cover, and the clutch side, tightened up all the new SS Bolts, after applying a bit of anti seize

new oil filter and gasket installed, (still need to add the oil)

need to.....

get a battery

install carbs

bled the front brakes, and add oil to the forks, I am a bit lost on this whole system due to the anti dive, going to read up on how this is done, do the oils mix, I can't imagine they do, fork oil and brake fluid, should not mix, but not knowing how the system works, until I read up on it

and some other small details, double check all nuts and bolts

and

hopefully have a try at starting her up......

sorry no pictures........ :-(

Comment

Well it has to happen I guess...

Purchased a new maintenance free YUASA battery yesterday, the place charged it up for me, I brought it home, before I went to bed I measured the voltage,,,,,CRAP,,,,down to 8 Volts,,,,,so I stick on the charger overnight, and check it in the morning, WOW a whole 10 Volts now......what the bloody hell

So I take it to the place I purchased it from, the do a load test....and tell me it's pooched, no good, won't hold a charge properly, and so on.....

They don't have another in stock, fortunately no hassle from them, and I get a full refund....

Called around all day, found another, but its almost an hour drive one way, and another place that is a bit closer, has one but an open box, acid was added, but customer never picked it up, don't want it, as they cannot tell me how long it's been sitting around for....

now it's the long weekend, so much for thrashing on the bike and possibly getting it going.....

I am bummed out......

Maybe just maybe, I will make the long trip and get the one that is available

the only good thing is the throttle tube I ordered came in and I can go and pick it up, same place that has the used battery,,,,,how funny is that.....

Ahhhhh if nothing else, gonna go and try to bag me a gobbler on Saturday, take it out on the poor bird.....

Comment

fork springs

Quick question.....

how does the spring go back the way in my picture or do I have them upside down and should I turn them over and insert into the fork tubes....

I added the fork oil 308 ml as per the manual, and inserted the springs (as seen in the picture), tightened everything up, and they feel very loos, I can hit hold the brake and can push down on the front end and it will compress a lot.

No leaks, or anything like that, front end was off the ground when oil was added as well as when the springs were put in and caps tightened

So is something wrong.....or have I just forgotten how much compression there is in this front end ?

Comment

Are they aftermarket springs? if so they usually require a spacer..

Comment

this is the stock spring, as far as I know, am I missing something ? I don't have any extra parts for the front end, I actually only pulled the forks off, and removed the springs, cleaned out the old oil, painted the bottoms and put it all back together.

hmmm

Comment

I just checked the parts fiche and those don't have a spacer. Add one.
                                1/2" -5/8" should do it. Including the washer that you will have to place on top of the spring.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X