No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks....I think I got it, but not 100% sure, I pull the lever and I can feel the clutch engaging so I must have done something at least partially right....

looking at the manual and your pics I now see, where the 4mm play has to be...LOL

I will give it another once over just to make sure, but I will assume it will be easiest to know if it's all good, once I have the bike running....

appreciate the help

your video sounds interesting, if you have the time, please do upload....

Cheers

Comment

gk it doesnt need to be running to work, pull it in if it feels good kool, then tie the clutch lever to the h bar put the bike in gear and roll the rear wheel or move the bike and see

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
        gk it doesnt need to be running to work, pull it in if it feels good kool, then tie the clutch lever to the h bar put the bike in gear and roll the rear wheel or move the bike and see
        Have not tried it yet, but will, I do have the 4mm play as per the manual now as well.....

was busy tonight with another part of the build

see below......

Comment

exhaust installed

Well, since I am running out of time, losing precious riding time, snow is just around the corner, I decided to forgo the dent removal on the headers and install my exhaust, if I don't I can't try to start the bike, and at least try to tune it a bit, so a shot of paint on the headers, waited about 10 minutes, and on they went, still a bit wet, but it's OK, they will come off again, and wearing the blue doctors gloves as I like to call them, I didn't even mess up the paint job.....

I cleaned up the exhaust ports, and went to put the gaskets in, but they kept falling out, so a bit of grease on the one side, this made them stick (hope that is OK, I figure it will burn off anyways) and on went the header and the rest of the pipe.....

I am telling myself, it's really starting to look good......stood back and admired my work for a good 5 minutes, running out of time, it's almost midnight and I need to go and get some sleep....

Ohhh ya

here are a few pictures.....I am stoked.......

Comment

Looking very good! Keep it up and you will have an amazing bike!

Comment

GK your bike is coming together so nicely. I'm jealous! It won't be long now!
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Thanks guys.....yup getting there, won't be long now...

Comment

oil ?

So I was going to add oil, in prep for start up this weekend, but I only have 3 bottles I will go get one more, if it's good for the bike, and upon reading some posts around here I am not sure if the stuff I have is good, bad, or what....

So the question is, is this stuff OK to use ??

I also stuck the tank on, just to see, and the seat, and I did put the battery in and hooked it up, but I am thinking since I am not going to be using the bike yet, perhaps I should take it out, just so it don't get drained, or what ever else might happen to it, by just sitting in the bike, I did connect the wires + and - so there is a potential for it to drain right ?

Comment

That oil is fine. I personally use Rotella 15w-40 but that's beacuase its cheep and works well. Regarding the battery just leave it. It will not drain enough or at all to even notice.

Comment

Thanks, saw some Rotella, but it was not cheap, and I figure for a start up and a few spins around the block this might work, I just didn't like the fact on the back it had something about additives and preservatives, etc....

I need one more bottle, I will pick up tomorrow, next oil change I can get something else...

Comment

Sounds good. And here in MN I pay about $13 for a gallon of Rotella.

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
                          Sounds good. And here in MN I pay about $13 for a gallon of Rotella.
                          That's a lot better than out here. I got some on sale a while ago. I believe it was $24.00 for 5L, or about 1 1/3 US gal. That would be $18/gallon. IIRC, the regular price was $42.00 for 5L
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            Thanks, saw some Rotella, but it was not cheap,
                            Yes precisely. Its not cheap here. However Rotella's walmart equivalent came at around $14 for 4 litre.

Comment

Not much tonight.....

Added the oil to the bike, and turned the key, pulled in the clutch, flicked the switch to the run position, and hit the start button.....

Cranked it over a half dozen times, turned it all off, and called it a night.

At least I know she is cranking....LOL

If no oil on the floor, tomorrow, I am going to mock up a IV bottle with some fuel, and lets see what that does.......

sorry no pictures, nothing to take photo of...

Comment

However Rotella's walmart equivalent came at around $14 for 4 litre.
                                Yup Ram is right. Walmart has "Super Tech" deisel 15/40 which is what I have started to use. It may not be the same quality as Rotella but its cheap enough that you can change oil more frequently. I don't know about you but I barely get enough riding in to warrant changing the oil more than once a year anyway. I'm hoping to change that this year but my record is not the greatest as life has a tendency to get in the way.

Hope to hear of some fire in the hole this weekend then.

cheers,
                                spyug

Comment

Working...
                                X