Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS400 Help!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am a now the proud owner of a 1978 GS400. The bike was given to me by a co-worker. he purchased the bike in 1985 from a friend. The bike did not start at that time. It has been sitting in his garage ever since. He was clearing out space so I offered to take it off his hands. Looks like it is in great shape!! I plan on spending the winter attempting to do what I need to get it running. The bike appears to be in good shape. Very little rust, under 3000 miles, tires actually look great. The problem is that I know nothing about engine mechanics. I have been a bicycle mechanic for over a decade so I do have some mechanical knowledge/skill. I just don't know where to start with an engine!! Change the oil?? Plugs?? Clean the carbs?? Please help me!!! I will post pictures soon. Thanks!!!

Tim

Welcome to the forums!

And yes, +1 on all of the above

When BassCliff gives you your mega welcome, start reading... very useful stuff!

Also visit:

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

And yes, pic's please
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Photos are coming soon(tomorrow...most likely). Started doing an initial cleaning last night and tonight. Looks 100 times better already!! DP, what exactly do you mean by "cranking the engine by hand?". Remember... I know nothing!! I assumed you were talking about the "kick starter". If so... it moves freely but nothing happens. I'm excited for this winter!!!!!

Tim

Comment

Starting out, you have three things to look at.

Electrical... Points coils plugs etc. Does the bike make spark?
        Fuel... Clean the carbs. Do not take shortcuts. Follow Nessism's tutorial. (on Bikecliff's site) Make sure your tank is clean inside.
        Air... Is your air box sealed? Are the carb boots sealed? Also, replace the o rings between the carb manifolds and the head.

O oh ya, one more thing. Read everything on Bikecliff's site. Everything, even if it does not apply to your bike, you will learn lots about how these bikes work!

Comment

I just fixed up an abandoned '77 gs400 this summer. great bike!
          I dont have much insight to add to the good advice already posted, except that You should trying to clean out the gas tank a bit before try to start the bike. Mine had good bit of rust-sludge in the bottom of the tank. I eventually did a proper tank cleaning, but initially ( to see if i could even get the bike running,) I just drained the old gas, and (with the tank off ) sloshed a quart or so of new gas around in the tank to free up all the fine rust debris. Drain and repeat. You'll want to remove the petcock for this. You dont want to drain all that crap by running it out thru the petcock. the stuff that came out of mine looked like orange soup!

BYW : your kickstarter moves freely? Like, it engages and the cylinders turn freely, or does the kickstarter freely moves without engaging anything internally?

If its the latter, you may have some problems.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2011, 12:33 PM.

Comment

The Gauges...

Comment

The engine...

Comment

The bike...

Comment

The bike....

Comment

She doesn't look too bad at all! And that's a huge sissy bar...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      She doesn't look too bad at all! And that's a huge sissy bar...
                      I agree with, Pete. She does not too bad at all. Darn sight better than where I started from on my 400. Be careful passing under low bridges with that sissy bar though

Mark

Comment

I know!! That is one huge bar. I was suprised to find that it does not recline!! I have been doing TONS of reading since my last post. I am now feeling much more confident about this project. So far I have removed the old cracked battery, and removed and drained the tank. I have also been cleaning and polishing. Next I plan on removing the petcock from the tank and cleaning it. I read to use fresh gasoline for this. After that I will tackle the carbs. I have been trying to locate Gunk carb cleaner locally with no success. The only one I have been able to find is a generic Napa can with a dip basket. Any suggestions for a carb dip would be great!!

Comment

Originally posted by TimB View Post
                          I know!! That is one huge bar. I was suprised to find that it does not recline!! I have been doing TONS of reading since my last post. I am now feeling much more confident about this project. So far I have removed the old cracked battery, and removed and drained the tank. I have also been cleaning and polishing. Next I plan on removing the petcock from the tank and cleaning it. I read to use fresh gasoline for this. After that I will tackle the carbs. I have been trying to locate Gunk carb cleaner locally with no success. The only one I have been able to find is a generic Napa can with a dip basket. Any suggestions for a carb dip would be great!!
                          Most guys in the US use Berrimans with good success.

If you can get it over there, there's also a Yamalube carb cleaner from Yamaha that I used and is quite good too. No basket or anything though so you will need to find something to soak them in. I used a cheap sauce pan...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info Pete!! I'll keep and eye out for either of those cleaners. I forgot to mention that the gas I drained was perfectly clear. Not murky or dirty looking at all. Hopefully that is a good sign of what is to come as I dig further.

Comment

The NAPA stuff will probaly be fine.Up here(Canada) you have to ask for carb dip.Here's my thread on it http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178816 .Foul smelling stuff you get to.Check yours,might not want to use it in an attached garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X