X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 1978 GS1000E project B/G

It started with this:

As I found it:

Yes, that is a TUBELESS 150/70-17 radial tire mounted backwards!

It will be getting the stock handlebar, stock headlight and ears, stock turn signals and mirrors, front brakes and rotors from an '85 1100E (?),
    Aluminum swing arm from an '83 1100E, '79 seat, seat lock and perhaps the V & H pipes that I have laying around. (< not sure about the header yet.)

Daniel

If you sell those carbs you can finance a good chunk of the restoration.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There was no 85 1100E. Maybe 1150 stuff. But if so they won't work with what ya have.

Nice find though!! I really want a 1000E bad.

Comment

I think you got something really decent to work with, alot of potential here. Just giving it a bath would do wonders.
        Is that a "S" tank? no badge screw holes, never seen a petcock like that,
        and the carbs?
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Dan...if you decide to go with another exhaust other than the stockers I would like first dibs on those PRETTY PLEASE!!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            There was no 85 1100E. Maybe 1150 stuff. But if so they won't work with what ya have.

Nice find though!! I really want a 1000E bad.
            Maybe they were off of a Katana? I'll post pic's tomorrow.
            I know that they fit 'cause I have them on another GS.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
              I think you got something really decent to work with, alot of potential here. Just giving it a bath would do wonders.
              Is that a "S" tank? no badge screw holes, never seen a petcock like that,
              and the carbs?
              As for the tank, it was a Factory replacement made in the '80's to replace the often rusted out '78 tanks.
              I'll let GSExpress explain as he knows all of the details.

Daniel

Comment

Subscribed!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  Maybe they were off of a Katana? I'll post pic's tomorrow.
                  I know that they fit 'cause I have them on another GS.

Daniel
                  I wanna see?? Are They opposed pistons?

Comment

I wanna see?? Are They opposed pistons?
                    No, they look like this set:

Daniel

Comment

Oh ok. Those are 82-83 1100E, Katana etc. I was thinking 85, which would have had to be 1150..or 700 i suppose would be like those you have too. But the 700 had slightly smaller diameter rotors. Don't think thatd matter.
                      I got all excited thinking you'd rigged some way to run 1150 calipers on 19" wheels. Dang it

I used a set of those calipers you have on my ex-1000G. They change over fine but I had to swap hangers if I remember right.
                      Good score again man, I'm hopin to find a 1000E next season to play around with. Prolly something in not quite as good of shape as yours as I want to do suspension mods on it. Have fun!!

Comment

I got all excited thinking you'd rigged some way to run 1150 calipers on 19" wheels. Dang it

I used a set of those calipers you have on my ex-1000G. They change over fine but I had to swap hangers if I remember right.
                        Good score again man, I'm hopin to find a 1000E next season to play around with. Prolly something in not quite as good of shape as yours as I want to do suspension mods on it. Have fun!!
                        That, is going to happen on the Cooley project.

Daniel

Comment

Very Nice!!

Comment

Nice score Daniel! Really likin' that colour too actually...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Looks darn good to me *DROOL*
                              Gotta ask, did you cough up the 800 or go with OBO?

Comment

Working...
                              X