No announcement yet.

Early 1978 GS1000E project B/G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick progress on this bike!!! Do you have to replace the seals everytime you open the camshaft?

Comment

Cleaned the cam cover in the parts washer and really had to scrub some of it with a steel and brass wire brush
      to get off some of the stubborn stains, glue and gasket goop.
      Wire wheel to the bolt heads and threads and torqued to 84 inch pounds with anti-sieze on the threads.
      Installed the 32CV carbs.

That is it for today...

Daniel

Comment

84, I was trying to re-use the gasket but it broke getting it off so it got a new one.

Daniel

Comment

FLHGS, on some of these frames, you may have to spread the rear of the rear foot peg supports for enough clearance for the aluminum swing arm.
          It won't be much if you have to. A bottle jack with the port facing up can do it easily.

Daniel

Comment

I'm not saying they won't work because frankly I've never tried it so I don't know, but if I'm not mistaken the CVs on a 1000E (80) were 34s. Those 32s might be a bit lifeless even on a stock motor. Generally speaking, and from the mouth of my Obi-Wan like teacher Terry, vacuum carbs have to be quite a bit larger than their mechanical counterpart. IE, the VM types on a 1000 were 26s, the BS types were 34s. Conversely, and I'm not sure what sort of maths are involved to come up with a equivalent from one to the other, those 33CRs would, and I'm guessing, be like sticking a set of 40+mm vacuums on it.
            There are guys who use 33CRs on stock-ish ZRXs that see mostly track use. That's a 1200cc motor, and quite a bit "hotter".
            Having said all that, they may work just fine but seem a little choked off. I'll be interested to see what your findings are.

Comment

TCK, they will work just fine with the tiny 28mm ports of the early heads.
              No restriction at all, quite the opposite.
              Suzuki used the 34CV's on the improved larger port heads.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                TCK, they will work just fine with the tiny 28mm ports of the early heads.
                No restriction at all, quite the opposite.
                Suzuki used the 34CV's on the improved larger port heads.

Daniel
                So then 32s will fit in VM heads? Like I could use those on an 8v 750? I never tried that. Just assumed they'd be too big. That's good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  So then 32s will fit in VM heads? Like I could use those on an 8v 750? I never tried that. Just assumed they'd be too big. That's good to know. Thanks!
                  I am pretty sure that you may have to use the 850 or 1000 intakes though.
                  Aren't the 750 manifolds smaller and don't they use 26mm carbs?
                  It has been over 16 years since my 750 had other than 850 head/cylinder and 34CV carbs.
                  As a matter of fact, I was looking at a set of smaller manifolds that I have today and wondering what they were from.
                  I have never owned smaller than a 750 Suzuki GS. Perhaps they are from it when it was stock?

Daniel
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    I can actually check tomorrow as I still have a 750 small port head laying around.
                    I'll see if the 1000 manifolds will fit on it with another set of 32CV's.
                    I can even measure the ports of both motors.
                    If you wish.

Daniel

Comment

Not trying to hijack

Just trying to get some good info out there. PO of my '79 GS1000E said this was the only tank he could get when he needed a replacement. I didn't ask when. Bike was black when new. I'm told the paint job looks like an '80, but the petcock is the levered type not used on the '80.

Comment

Perhaps somewhere along the line I was misinformed or misread but I was under the impression that the 78/79 1000E used VM26SS as well as the 750. The only VM28 model I am aware of were 28mm "pumpers" with an accelerator pump.

Comment

Today I fine tuned these carbs to this bike.
                          I honestly don't know what they came off of as I got them from a motorcycle yard sale of sorts.
                          They are 32CV Mikuni carbs with a side choke.
                          The spacing on the vacuum diaphragm tops is narrower than those used on Suzuki GS models.
                          I had to modify a throttle cable mount to make it work on top.
                          After playing with the jetting a few times, I ended up with 35 pilot jets and 120 main jets (used my last set of 117.5 mains on my old 850)
                          to work with the new K & N air filters with these spiffy little socks that cover them.
                          I will have to get some of the blue socks and dye them darker to match the paint some day.
                          The unknown petcock that came with the bike exited straight down and into the filters and then
                          making a sharp turn that probably restricted flow besides smashing into the air filter.
                          So, I found another unknown origin petcock in my parts stash that I liked.
                          Only problem was that this tank uses the wider bolt pattern (52mm ?) to secure the petcock to the tank!
                          So I thought that it was worth a try to elongate the bolt holes to the very edge of the new tank seal.

Installed on tank with new special rubber/steel washers on the bolts and new sealing gasket.

Yet ANOTHER problem!
                          This petcock runs into the frame!!!!
                          So a little modification using the round end of a large ball pien hammer and smacking it with a sledge (wear safty gasses!)
                          The frame got modified for clearance.

The finished mess. Not leaking!

After filling the tank, checking for leaks at the petcock and waiting for the carbs to fill, it was time to fire it up!
                          I still have to do a little more tuning with the fuel screws and get some more 117.5 main jets.
                          So, here goes nothin'. (probably should have opened the door a little sooner but, it was snowing out.)
                          I took it to 9,000 rpm and it did not stumble but is still a little rich.

Tomorrow, I will be attacking it with a cut off saw and grinder.

Daniel
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Tomorrow, I will be attacking it with a cut off saw and grinder.

Daniel

Not ONE raised eyebrow?

Daniel

Comment

Not ONE raised eyebrow?

Daniel
                              My eyebrow was more raised at the petcock situation. I've tried that very same thing before, minus the hammering, and it didn't work well. As far as the hacksaw and grinder go, it's your bike. But I really didn't think you'd cut up that pretty pretty.

Comment

Not ONE raised eyebrow?

Daniel
                                Me thinks you're full of it with the saw and grinder comment

Tell me, what's the deal with the covers over the pods? Haven't seen them before...
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X