No announcement yet.

Early 1978 GS1000E project B/G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had thought about that style of decal more than once myself... very nice!

Comment

Got around to throwing the new rear tire, caliper/pads on today.
      I couldn't just leave the nasty looking parts looking nasty so the fine wire wheel on the die grinder had a small work-out.
      Most will recognize these parts.

One of the chain adjusters was missing the adjuster bolt! I should have noticed that before the last ride!

It speaks volumes as to the QUALITY of Suzuki OEM parts when after thirty plus years they can be made to look like this.

Continued...

Comment

Got her all back together and bled the rear caliper so it was off to break the new rear pads/rotor and tire in.

A little dirt bike riding...

Stopped for a picture at a local Church...

Back on pavement...

Mommy did the seat test on the new back rest and it passed with flying colors!
        I still have TONS of room to move around on the seat when she is comfortable.
        I am not liking the low handlebar with the taller seat so they will have to get changed soon.
        I have to hunch over WAY TOO MUCH!

Forgot. I also changed the broken kick stand for one with the arm and rubber baby buggy bumper for the exhaust.
        I also changed the rear sprocket for a 40 tooth one changing the final drive from 2.80:1 to a more leisurely 2.66:!.

She is starting to look more like a bike now.

Daniel
        Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

She looks real nice 7981GS. That engine is super clean. I hope to get mine looking like that someday. Love that Nevada scenery too. Must be some awesome riding there.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

The bike is really looking good! Now how does she ride?
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

The suspension is damn near ideal.
              I need to remove a little pre-load off of the rear springs as I had them set for spirited 2-up riding. (3 clicks)
              The front is a tad too stiff and I will be adjusting that when I change the handlebar real soon. (I added a wee bit too much pre-load when I replaced the springs)
              I am going to try an experimental idea on them. We'll see how that works out.
              It worked well on the dirt road but was hell on the wash boards!

It seemed to take forever to get the rear brakes seated in. LOL.
              After a dozen light jabs and a few long steady downhills, they are plenty grippy now.
              I almost seldom apply much pressure to the rear in normal riding and had to mentally concentrate on breaking them in.
              I rode 1 to 2 gears higher going downhills to help FORCE me to use them more.
              I basically ride with engine braking and a light touch on the front and rear.
              Perhaps that explains how I have never had to replace the rear brake pads and only once had to change the front pair on my 750E/1100 in over 30 years and 150,000 miles.

Daniel

Comment

Love it Daniel, I really should've wire wheeled my wheel adjusters and bolts too
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Love it Daniel, I really should've wire wheeled my wheel adjusters and bolts too
                  Projects are never really completed.
                  I had misplaced one of my S & W shocks that I was going to try yesterday and it would have been the most opportune time
                  to change them as all of the parts will have to come back off to change them at a later date.
                  I was hoping to raise the rear end a half inch or slightly more. And, to see how those shocks work.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Projects are never really completed.
                    I had misplaced one of my S & W shocks that I was going to try yesterday and it would have been the most opportune time
                    to change them as all of the parts will have to come back off to change them at a later date.
                    I was hoping to raise the rear end a half inch or slightly more. And, to see how those shocks work.

Daniel
                    True indeed! I know mine's not completed yet too

That's real frustrating when that happens, I've had similar happen also...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I am getting tired of tearing her apart.

Before I started the heater, it wasn't exactly warm out. Temp. in shop when I started working on her.

I removed the hard PCV spacers in the forks and replaced them with springs!
                      These were the old rusty springss that I took out of the 750E when I put in the Progressive Suspension springs years ago.
                      I thought that I might find a use for them some day. Today was that day.
                      Has anyone else tried this before? What were the results?

Cleaned up and ready to install.

Literally waiting on the paint to dry on the handlebar. I didn't have any straight chrome ones laying around that suited me.
                      So, for now, they will have to be black.

Daniel

Comment

Temperature at noon today. Don't you just love this time of year?

Relocated all cables/wires to fit the taller handlebar and now...
                        it is back to being comfortable to ride.

I got some more of the wiring added that was missing for the front turn signals,
                        the used K & N's arrived from TCK in the mail for another project,
                        the batteries that Skip suggested showed up from FedEx and
                        my hands are numb and time to stop for today.

Tomorrow I will have to go for a ride to see if the front end is improved.

Daniel
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2011, 11:14 PM.

Comment

More "Bling" arriving later this week!

Daniel

Comment

I have a friend that said that he had some of those finned cam covers for my bike.
                            He forgot to mention that they were NOS!!!!
                            They arrived today!

I looked up the Company that sold them in the U.S. and they went out of business in Nov. 1987.
                            Perhaps they can still be found in Japan from the original manufacturer?

On the bike!

Also went for a ride today to test out the fork modification and it works like a champ!

Daniel
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Love those finned caps, they tie it together with the fins and the points cover very well. Nice Score!

Comment

Did I forget to mention that he sent them to me for FREE!

I owe him a favor or two now for sure.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                                X