Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Street Bike Project - with a few questions

Hello all,

I recently decided to take on a street bike project for the first time. I'm mostly a dirt guy but wanted to try something a little different and maybe I'll even keep it afterwards as a tool around town ride. Anyway, I picked up a fairly well used 1982 GS550M. It's got 27k miles on it and would not fire when I bought it. Owner was not interested in trying to fix it so I gave him $380 to take it off his hands. After testing some of the electronics and charging the battery, I found a bad fuse. Changed that out and viola' she at least would turn over although she wouldn't start. So I've got the carbs off and after looking at the needles, I can tell they need some love so new needles and o-rings are on order. Since I've never done one of these before, please execuse my stupid questions.

1) Compression on all cylinders is 110 to 120 lbs/sq in. In your experience, is this ok for this bike or will I need to do a top end rebuild?

2) does anyone know where I can get the tank and side panel stickers or emblems for this model?

3) it appears a PO had jacked the choke on this bike and I have no idea how the choke is operated. Is it via cable on the handlebar (which side?) or some other method?

4) the clutch requires quite a bit of force to pull in. Is that normal for this bike and if not, what would cause a heavy clutch pull?

Any other initial advice would be welcomed. Me and my son are really looking forward to this project. We really like the lines of this particular model.

Great site and thanks in advance!

Sci85
    Last edited by Sci85; 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM. Reason: Changing thread title to accurately reflect content.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Welcome to the forums!! Not sure what part of the world your in, but here in the States that 550M (Baby Katana) is a rare bike. Post up some pictures of your project, I'm sure everyone would enjoy watching a rare beaut come back to life.

Seems like you know your way around a wrench and aren't afraid to dig it, thats good. GS'es are fantastic bikes and difficult to kill but require attention just the same. I think you and your son will enjoy your project.

I'm sure the un-official official welcomer Basscliff will be along shortly to provide you with more Tech info than you could have ever hoped to find.

Again Welcome!!!

Comment

Here's a pic after I got it home. Someone had painted it flat black at some point. Going to need some tank work but she's all there. I like the stock colors so I will be going back to silver, black and red at some point.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Thats a nice looking bike! Even with the flat black paint. And for the price you paid you stole it! Seriously gonna have to watch this one.

Comment

Thanks! I do feel like I may have gotten lucky but we still have lots to check first. Still working on getting it running to see what the engine and tranny are like before really tearing into it.

I see you have an 82 model as well. Any ideas on any of my questions? From What I can tell the GS series is really only different in bodywork from model to model each year correct?
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

While Suzuki is the parts bin king and infamous for reusing parts on many models there are some big differences between my bike and yours. Notable my gs is a shaft drive, and the frame is different as are the wheels. Im not sure about the compression question as Ive never checked mine but I do know that all GS`s run better when there are no air leaks. Check th rubber boots going from airbox to carbs and carbs to header. If these are cracked they`ll need to be replaced. Also be sure to adjust the valves so they are within spec. GS valves tighten over time and can make the bike hard to start. Also be sure the carbs have been totally disassembled and dipped in cleaner. Follow some basic steps and you`ll have it running in no time. On my bike the choke is on the handlebars

Comment

Welcome to the nut house, those little 550's are wonderful machines and it will give you many happy years of service.
              at 27k it isn't even broken in yet, and what a steal you got it for.
              The compression figures seem good, no problems there, and yes, it seems you are diggng in, good, like all old bikes, they need maintenance, take your time, do what needs doig and you will be on your way to GS happiness.
              Like Tim Tom said, Basscliff should be along shortly with his welcome wagon, filled with more information than you could wish for, fr the rest, you stuck with us.
              Not a bad thing, these guys....and ladies, have been wrenching on these bikes for so long, they know them better than Suzuki does.
              Check Nessim's signature for a link to his full colour, with music and dancing girls pictorial guide to carb strip, clean and overhaul, it is also on Basscliff site.
              Yes, while the carbs are off, remove the intake boots, they have a rubber o-ring that forms the seal to the head, bets are on that they are knackered, replace them, they are a constant cause of air leaks and headaches.
              And you really must do the valves, again as has been pointed out, but not to worry, there are tutorials for everything here.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Sci85,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes, I have discovered that you GS owners are a knowledgable bunch for sure! I really wasn't looking at getting anything in particular but I knew I wanted a mid size engine. This guy caught my eye and was a little different than the usual early 80's bike so I went for it. So glad I did now with all the wonderful information this site has put together. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions since I've never attempted a street bike rebuild before.

So far, I've found the cause of no power (bad fuse). I have the carbs off and the first one cleaned. Ordered all those little o-rings and allen head bolts thanks to this site. And I also have on order new intake boot o-rings (thanks cycleorings for catching my mistake!), needles and bowl gaskets. We are off and running but sooo much to do.

After looking her over real good, someone has hacked the wiring up pretty good. Lot's of cut wires and new connections. This part worries me a little. I'm probably least knowledgable about this part than anything else. Not sure if I can salvage what exists or if I should just order a new loom.

Sci85
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Will post some more pics once I figure out how to get the photos from flickr to embed.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

To post photos, copy and paste the pictures IMG code (will look like [IMG]picture name and location on host site [/IMG]. That way they'll be nice and big and pretty and embedded directly in your post instead of a thumbnail link.

As far as some of your questions:

I wouldn't worry about compression tests untill you've rebuilt the carbs and she'll idle long enough to warm up. Tests need to be done on a warm engine, and the throttle should be wide open (not running obviously, pull the plug leads after warming and before testing, and hold the throttle to WOT while cranking) If you end up with numbers about where they are now, or better, and as long as no one cylinder is less than (I think this is right) 20% less than another, you're likely good on compression. If you find a cylinder has a substantially lower number than any of the other, drop a teaspoon of motor oil down the spark plug hole and test it again. If it comes up, your rings are likely worn out. But the good news is that many of these models, provided the maintenance is done regularly as it should be, will rack up a great deal of mileage with minimal wear. I once owned a GS that had well over 130K miles on it and never had the head off of it and it ran like a champ.
                      Also, before you bother with comp tests, you'll want to adjust the valve clearances. This will have a factor in compression numbers as well if the valves aren't closing all the way.

As to the stickers, you have a fairly rare model there so I'm not entirely sure they'll have them, but a company out of Canada called reproduction decals has a pretty fair number of the decal kits for these and other old UJMs.
                      What's more, if they don't have the decals, and you can find a set of high resolution pictures of what they're supposed to look like, and send the company your bodywork when it's ready for them, they'll make a set for you for free since your stuff was a guinea pig. At least they used to.

To the choke lever, Suzuki used a few different designs throughout the years, and I'm not as familiar with your model as most so I'm not sure which yours would have had. But likely, given the year of the bike, it would have had a thumb-lever choke mounted under the left bar switch housing (the horn/turn signal side) OR a pull knob style that was mounted in the steering stem.
                      You should source a Clymer, Haynes or better still, a Suzuki Factory shop manual for your bike. You're gonna need it honestly. It will explain with pictures and in detail a lot of what you'll need to do to get her tip top. We can help you, but the manual is a basic necessity when attacking a project like this.

On your clutch...it could be as simple as needing to replace the clutch cable with new, lubing it, or, sometimes people used aftermarket heavy duty clutch springs. Most will say they're a bit overkill unless your bike is beaching modified in the HP department, so replacing them with OEM stock springs will help soften the pull up a bit without reducing effectiveness. Likely a good idea to go ahead and replace both the cable and springs anyway. Once a cable starts to go, it will not be long for this world and nothing sucks worse than losing a clutch cable in the middle of a long trip. Ask me how i know!!

Usually, the clutch springs will be what wears out first, long before the fibers or steels. Unless it's just been beaten to death. But I've yet to own one of these GSes where I actually had to replace anything but springs. They're cheap (maybe $2 each) so just get some new ones. And a clutch cover gasket.

Both Nessism and BassCliff have pretty comprehensive lists of "Things That Must Be Done" to bring one of these back to the excellence they're known for. But you MUST do them all, and not cut corners. Skipping one thing thinking you can get away with it or do it later will only serve to frustrate you and keep you from having an excellent running bike. So just go through the list and do it right the first time. It makes the process much more enjoyable, faster than re-doing work you didn't do right the first time, and much more fulfilling when you ge done as you'll not only be proud of your bike, it will kick some ass

Welcome to the GSR and enjoy!!

Comment

Yes, I have already begun reading some of the awesome information Basscliff has put together. Extremely useful.

I did find the GS550 service manual. Not the best in the world but does have some useful stuff. Not like a Clymers though so I will probably end up getting one of those for times like these. The service manual has zero information on the location of the choke switch.

And yeah, can't find anyone with M model specific graphics. But in looking around, I think some of the other models may well use the same SUZUKI decals that I can probably get.

Thanks again.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Ok, finally got some pics together. These are the beginning of the teardown.

Carbs are gone. Used the tips on the website to make it easy.

Instrument Cluster in good shape

First carb all cleaned...

Needle looks a little worn. Replacing these...

Wiring's been hacked. More than once I think! Note the cut wires and new connectors. This part scares me as I am no electrical wizard. I thought I saw a brand new loom for $94. Does that sound reasonable?

This bundle of wires comes from the headlight all the way back to the tail light. I'm wondering if this is a "fix" of some kind...

Airbox is under the seat while battery is to the left. Kinda opposite the other GS models.

Before...

And After...finally, getting naked slowly but surely...

Sci85
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Did you fully strip that carb down and dip in the Berryman's? If not, you'll want to or you'll continue to have major issues. Read Nessism's instructions and you'll do fine.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sure did. The Nessism's guide is a home run. The picture doesn't do it justice. Except for some minor pitting, the carbs came out very clean and in overall good shape. Well, at least the first one. Hitting the 2nd carb tonight.
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Working...
                              X