No announcement yet.

First Street Bike Project - with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great project, I love your attention to detail!

Comment

Totally unacceptable, do it again, and do it properly or get a new cap.

Hat, Coat, Door--------------------------->> hhehehehe

Comment

Yes, I knew someone would catch those. Dang, can't sneak anything past you guys lol! Those are actually very small dents in the cap. I could buy a new one but then that would mean waiting even longer for the necessary replacement shocks which I'm saving up for. Plus, I like the imperfectness of it. Kinda gives it character.

But, I did notice some fine scratches Flyboy after I looked at it a little closer tonight. So, I've been duly chastized and it won't happen again I'm off to the wheel of shame....
        Last edited by Sci85; 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM.
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I never knew white out was the new polishing compound.....

Comment

It's not. I use it to correct my mistakes. Works wonders hehe.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

hope your going to clear coat the cap, to try and keep the shine on it, and keep the finger prints off of it....

Comment

Hmm, haven't thought of that GK. is it possible to actually do that on something polished?
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I believe so, there are clear coatings that can be found, I used a semi clear on a metal part I polished up just to keep it from rusting, well more of a satin finish, but I did see clear sprays as well...

try it on something other than the cap first

somthing like this

I didn't polish mine like you did, but after I cleaned it up I used the varathane

but then I went black

Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

It's not. I use it to correct my mistakes. Works wonders hehe.
                    Me as well, but it is starting to become damn difficult to see anything on the screen anymore.

Just razzin ya about the cap 'cause I are jealous.

Comment

No Flyboy, its best you keep us honest and not short cutting!

So, it finally got warm again yesterday so I started the painting of the plastics. I was a little worries because rain was coming and the humidity had risen by the time I got started. Well, sure enough, this is what happened after the first 2 coats.

This paint just does not like any humidity above 50%. So, I spent last night wet sanding all the pieces with 600 grit in anticipation of today's weather 71 and sunny Woot!

Here they are. Wish you could see them in person because these pic's just don't do them justice. In the light they have just the most beautiful, subtle metallic sheen. I love it.

And then to top it off, the wife and I went for a little Autumn ride to enjoy the scenery after work on the Yammy Stryker.

It was a very good day
                      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Ok, it's time to put the OEM Suzuki stickers on the tank. Any suggestions or tips before I get started?
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

So much for tips

The tank ready to go. A quick mock up. She's coming together nicely.

Oh, and I fired her up too! Man oh man does she sound sweet. I was definitely blown away! Now I really can't wait finish up. I should of recorded it so I could listen to it over the winter haha. She fired right up to. Will need some tweaking as she ran good but not perfect. Also, the right two headers were blueing a little close to the head and gold further away yet the left two showed very little color.

So stoked!

Firing her up...

Finished tank...terrible picture though. Will get a better shot in the light tomorrow...

And the mock up. Ain't she sexy?
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Looking good, Sci! Work to be proud of, for sure.

I can see the metallic flake in your last pic of the tank.

How long are you going to let the decals sit before you clear? i guess, maybe I should ask if one SHOULD put another coat of clear over the decals.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Good questoin but I haven't decided. From what I have observed with other 550M's, it appears the decals were not cleared over from the factory as older tanks I've seen showed peeling decals. Plus, I'm not sure of the procedure. I guess I should search the forums as someone's probably been there, done that already!
                              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Looks great. Everything under your bodywork reminds me so much of mine. But your tank, seat, and plastics just look better.
                                keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                                X