No announcement yet.

First Street Bike Project - with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's exactly one year and one day since my first street project post here. And I am for all intents and purposes done. All I have left is some rear blinkers and repairing a single tab on the side panels woot!

I took her out for the maiden voyage this week and true to form, she fired right up and settled into a decent idle. Sounded real good but she is somewhat lazy getting to 6 grand on the tach which I find unusual for a small bore engine. Seems like the jetting is a little off. But once she hits 6000 rpm, she really wakes up. I have not taken her to redline though yet. Gotta get a little more reliable miles underneath her first before I get that bold.

The front shocks were way too soft initially as well. I thought something might be terribly wrong until I got home and remembered these guys use air in them. Not sure if that was factory on this model but after adding about 17lbs per leg it felt much better.

And finally, there was something weird with the transmission. In 2nd gear, if WOT, once it hit 5K rpm it would either jump out of gear or slip real bad. If ridden "normally" there was no issue. And it was only in 2nd gear (so far at least). So, it looks like there's some transmission work for me in the future.

So, this project is winding down now. My plans are to paint the wheels black, tweak the jetting, sync the carbs and next year rebuild the engine. This has been a really enjoyable project and I thank each and everyone of you for all the help and assistance along the way. I couldn't have done it without you all! This was definitely a GS "group" build.

So, I leave you guys with the following. Please have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

As she arrived...

And as she rolls...
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

What can I say,,,,

she is Beautiful.......

be proud of your work and hope you enjoy her for many miles......

now onto the next one.......

Comment

Very nicely done
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

VERY tastefully and skillfully done, I love it Sci, congrats!

Keep us posted when you get the wheels done black, I think that'll add another notch up to the wow factor!
          GS850GT

Comment

Yeah, I think the black wheels will look really nice but that's gonna have to wait until the new year. Great and fun little scoot for sure. It's almost like riding a fast bicycle it weighs so little and turns so easy! If you;ve never owned a half litre bike, well all I can say is you are missing a whole lot of fun.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

I just finished quite a bit of time reading your build thread and have to say thanks for all of the details. You have been patient beyond what most people would expect, and being pretty new to the forum I found several things that I will follow. The bike looks great and I appreciate all of the little touches you have made. Not everyone appreciates, or even likes, the different colors on calipers and such, but I do. And I'm glad you painted it black, much better than the silver in my opinion. Sure, there are not a lot of silver bikes on the road, but that is for good reason. My bud with the silver Victory wold disagree.

You will love your V-Star. Very solid bike, easy to work on and a rock solid motor. Good power and the Stryker just looks bad-ass. Congratulations on your build. Never done though.

Comment

Thanks wedoo2. I appreciate the kind comments. There are so many incredible builds and so much talent on this forum that's it's really amazing. I have learned more from this site in the last year than any other time in my past.

Terre Haute huh? Been through that town many many times on my way to Indy. Will have to stop by and share a brew sometime.
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Well you'll just have to do that. I have a daughter outside of Springfield, Mo. Was over there last weekend. I know every tree on the way I think. Grandkids make you travel, you know.

Comment

Kind of sad to see this thread stop. I guess that's good for the OP

Comment

Do it again.

Comment

Working on it...See my post in the "other bikes" forum.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

wow,, awesome thread, thanx for pointing me to this.. this will help me so much on my build.

Comment

Working...
                          X