No announcement yet.

First Street Bike Project - with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, because I'm stubborn, and I had to go to home depot anyway, I picked up a thicker threaded rod and went to town. I got it probably another mm in. I have only about a mm still poking out but am satisfied for now. If it will go back together as is, I'm going to leave it.

I was taking apart my LH turn switch last night to clean it up as it was somewhat stiff. But I broke the little triangular knob off dang it! Now I gotta replace the whole stinking switch. I hate when that happens.

Oh well, at least I got the first part of the lower stem bearing off.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Post a picture of the broken switch in question. See if we might be able to help unless you want to buy a new LH control.

Paul

Smilies curtesy of Peanut (aka the princess)

Comment

Well, if there's a way to salvage it I would be surprised but I guess you never know.

Here's the switch. In this picture, it's missing the slider that broke off.

And here it is along with the slider set off to the side.

I'm open to suggestions but since there is force applied and it has to slide, glue is not an option.

Thanks.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

paperclip, thumb tack, staple, nail, ohhhh never mind none of those will work, and you don't want to use glue, so I am out of suggestions....

just kidding

sorry about the misshap, maybe a new one will be the only way

Comment

Also, I managed to get the lower steering bearing on today using a piece of PVC tube, a wood block, and a small sledge. Interesting that the roller holder is now plastic instead of metal. Not sure how long that's going to hold up over the years...

I'm having a tough time getting the lower race out of the tube. You can't really get to it from the top without something with a bend in it because the lower races is so much larger in diameter than the tube. Frustrating...
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Sci, you're doing great work. Love the frame. Looks great and gives me something to look forward to! Having mine done the same way.

Comment

sorry about the misshap, maybe a new one will be the only way
                Thanks GK & GT. Yeah, it sucks. Hopefully I can find a used one at a reasonable cost. Not happy about it but what you gonna do? I'm more concerned right now with getting that lower race out. It's in there good and tight and I don't have a good tool to get it out...
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Sci, sorry to hear about the switch, maybe troll fleabay for a cheap one, or post up in the parts wanted section, I am sure someone here on the board will come to the rescue.
                  If you really are on a tight budget and want to have a go at fixing it, what you can do is drill a small 3mm hole in the knob and also in what is left of the switch in the housing, then cut a piece of 3mm brass/steel rod to a suitable length and use it as an internal splice to put the two back together, it will take the load of sliding the switch back and forth, secure in place with 2 mix epoxy, kinda like the bone in your leg.

Go and troll though the early pages of my rebuild thread. I described a tool I made to knock out the lower bearing race, yes it is not easy, but once it got a tool sorted, it took about 10min to knock out, basically it was just a piece of rod with a slight bend, and a nice big sturdy washer at the end, the edge of the washer is what actually rests on the lip of the bearing race, as you can't get the rod itself to it.
                  The washer tends to bend after a few blows and slips, just turn it around ad continue.

Here it is here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=166147
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Cool beans. Thanks FlyBoy! I will give that tool a try and let you know how it goes.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Well, I owe FlyBoy some props. His makeshift tool worked like a charm. Bottom steering stem race came right out. You are da man FB!

Here's a pic of the tool I put together from FB's drawing. I highly recommend it. And like FB stated, I used the long skinny motor mount bolt with 3 washers on it. Enjoy.

1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Glad it worked for you Sci, another step closer to get the front end bolted in there.
                        Soon you will be able to sit on the roller making revving noises.....vroooom vroooom

I am told this is what people do, of course I wouldn't know about that

Comment

Well, now that I got the bearings in (thanks again Flyboy!), I decided I needed to at least get the tree's painted so I can being putting the frame together. Since I don't have a heated garage, I figured I would wait to paint until the spring but that seems soooo far off and I want to get wrenching!

So I looked back through some of the member's threads and noticed some of the makeshift cardboard paint booths and decided that will work for me too! So, one cardboard box, a halogen shop light and some hanging wire later and we have some painted parts!

Feels good to get some paint down. This weekend I plan to get the swingarm on and the triple tree's. I'm pretty stoked for even this little progress.
                          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Looks pretty good Sci! I'm digging the paint booth.

I can't imagine not having a heated garage.

At this rate you and GK will be finished before me.

Bruce.

Comment

Looking good there Sci.....

if your spraying indoors, please make sure your wearing a mask, and you have good ventilation, or at least something drawing the paint fumes outside.....and or after spraying you open up the windows and doors to air out the place

Comment

Why? I've been breathing paint fumes for years and well... umm... what were we talking about?

Bruce.

Comment

Working...
                                X