No announcement yet.

First Street Bike Project - with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow boat to china project update lol. I have been slowly getting a few things done here and there. I finally got all the rotors stripped and painted, the headlight mounts painted, and the fork legs stripped and painted. Got the rear wheel back together and started on the front. If you recall, the bike was missing one of its front rotors when I bought it. Well, I was hoping to get the front wheels together today then get the initial frame build started so I can at least say I've started on the path to getting her on the road but alas, I discovered that one of the front rotor bolts is broken off deep inside the cavity. Bummed...So, no pic of a rolling frame just yet.

Completed rear hub and sprocket ready to go on the rear wheel. Paint came out nice on this one...

Rear brake rotor and now we have a completed rear wheel woot woot!

Headlight bracket before and after...

And finally the front forks completed and ready for mounting...
    Before...

After...
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Hey hey, Sci, nice to see you back and making progress, good on you.
      I know about slow boat to China, work on Jennifer has been about the same, you not alone man.

Comment

Hey there Sci,,,,your making some really good progress,,,,and your work is spot on....

Looking real good

Comment

I like the red rotor. Looks like my caliper and rear brake. The black looks nice too.

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. If only there was more time in a day no? It's amazing how one little thing like a single bolt can set you back days!
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
              Sci85, I have to admit that this was/is, by far,the absolute EASIEST WAY that I have ever changed these engines by myself.
              Effortless in fact!

This was with my '82 GS1200G.
              I forgot to take pic's on the removal but, the instal was just the opposite and just as EASY!
              Just place a board under the engine to raise it flush with the frame rails after the mounts are all disconnected.
              Place another jack or same height platform outside of the frame at the same height.
              Then, I just walked the engine over by rocking it side by side until it was in the cradle and dropped it into place.

I just pushed the jack over to meet the frame.

Daniel
              Daniel,

to my eye there looks to be a lot more clearance of the 1200 engine than the 550/650 engines. On my 650 if I raise the engine up over the mounting brackets the valve cover (or at least the breather cover) is higher than the bottom of the top tubes of the frame. I was just working on this tonight as I brought the engine back from the machine shop where I had those pesky studs drilled out...more on that later in a different thread.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I think I will use something similar to what Daniel has posted, but I will remove my valve cover, to give me as much room as possible. If I hadn't gone and assembled as much as I had and my engine was ready to go, I would have just laid it on it's side and dropped the frame on top bolted it in and stood it up upright.....

maybe next time....

Comment

Ok, a little more progress last week. The weather is just so awesome right now. We are probably a good 10-15 degrees above normal. Even cut the grass today which I have never done in March in the 12yrs I've lived here. Anyway, been scrubbing like heck. It's coming clean but I don't think I have the magic like GT and some others around here do...

This is a good sight for me eyes. I have officially started the assembly process. Thankfully.
                  1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Good for a scrub job but the engines you are thinking of have been repainted.

Comment

Yes, they have but they had to get them quite clean for paint to stick. I haven't found the right way to get all the grease off in between the fins and in the corners and such. It looks ok but not as nice as a painted one.
                      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Well, I was wrong. BCCap and I managed to get the engine back into the frame in 30 seconds, and the bottom rear mounting bolt back in, in less than a minute after a smoke break. Used the 3/8" steel rod method.

Ended up with huge amounts of clearance, and we didn't even need to remove the sump and/or the breather cover (although I already had it off)

That's it. I've taken this thread too far away from the O.P.'s original question. Will post the writeup in my own thread.
                        Last edited by BigD_83; 04-03-2012, 11:23 PM. Reason: replaced missing photos
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Looking Good Sci... but I think the ride is going to be a little rough with those backwoods bargain basement shock absorbers. Told you you would feel like things are really moving once you put those wheels on.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                            Ok, a little more progress last week. The weather is just so awesome right now. We are probably a good 10-15 degrees above normal. Even cut the grass today which I have never done in March in the 12yrs I've lived here. Anyway, been scrubbing like heck. It's coming clean but I don't think I have the magic like GT and some others around here do...

This is a good sight for me eyes. I have officially started the assembly process. Thankfully.
                            Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                            Good for a scrub job but the engines you are thinking of have been repainted.
                            Looks good Sci. Paint that puppy.

You're doing great work!

Comment

Lookig awsome Sci, now you have a roller, your chance to sit on it and make revving noises.....
                              I am told this is what people do, i wouldn't know about that of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                                Lookig awsome Sci, now you have a roller, your chance to sit on it and make revving noises.....
                                I am told this is what people do, i wouldn't know about that of course.
                                Whatcha talkin bout Willis......??????
                                it's where I got the idea, and read it how it's done in one of your posts....Flyboy.....

Comment

Working...
                                X