Restoration 1982 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoration 1982 GS850GL

I'm still in my research/planning stage and can price materials to my heart's content but experience speaks volumes for projects like this. I'm going to tear it down, clean, and polish/repaint everything but the catch is I need to do the very best I can with the smallest budget I can. My question is for anyone that has completed a similar project is what should a realistic budget be for this? I'm thinking a couple hundred??? Am I way out of line here?

Do you have your own tools? Air compressor, welder, sand blaster, buffer, grinder...etc?

I've found that I've spent 4-5 times as much on tools and supplies than I have on parts and I'm not even close yet.

Comment

I have my own tools, can borrow a 2 gallon air compressor which may not be large enough, I don't have a welder, sand blaster, buffer or grinder but assume I can probably rent that stuff right?

Comment

The bike looks new!

What is it that it needs???
        Tires? A customized/taller seat? Brake pads?

Daniel

Comment

I'm with 7981GS. That bikes looks clean. Some minor oxidation on the clutch cover but man, I'm not seeing much to do here either.
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

The picture is a little deceiving. It has its fair share of surface rust on the frame and exhaust components and the tank's clear coat is shot on the top. Cosmetically, the bike is currently about 80% but I want to bring it to 100% not only for the sake of the bike itself but also so I can get some experience.

This is my inspiration for this restoration:

Comment

Looks like a nice project! I did something similar for my first restoration project (choosing a bike that was about 75% good).

Tools can be pretty minimal for this kind of thing. For general wrenching you'll want a decent set of 3/8" drive + sockets and a good set of combination wrenches. A torque wrench is a good investment too. Beyond that you'll quickly accumulate some "special" tools for accessing/adjusting various things.

All you need is wet sandpaper and a polishing attachment for a drill to get the cover shiny (you might need to strip the aluminum clear coat with some Mar-hyde or other product first to save a lot of time). You can buy polishing kits quite cheaply and they work well.

Repainting the tank will be a bigger effort, and I have no experience with that (yet). Lots of good threads on it around here.

Keep us posted!

Comment

A lot can be done to clean up chrome, simple off the shelf chrome polish if it's not too bad. Or if it needs more help, try 0000 (4 ought) steel wool. You can even lube that with ATF or WD-40.

Comment

@ D-Mac: Thanks, D-Mac. I'll certainly be looking into the mar-hyde stuff. Didn't think to use a drill as a polisher. That'll save me at least $40 on a used bench grinder/polisher and as for the the polishing kit (great idea) do you think I could complete all the aluminum and chrome with this kit (not sure how fast these wear out):

@Hoosier Daddy: I'll keep an eye out for the super fine steel wool. I'm sure I will need it on some spots.

Comment

Now that I've decided NOT to trade it for a goldwing (thanks for your help on that guys) I'm going to spend a little time polishing it up. I'm going to pull the engine and remove the exhaust system. From there I can fix oil leaks at the valve cover and gear oil plug then clean and polish the engine the best I can without removing the head or cracking the case open. I will also derust and polish all the exhaust components. Not sure I really want to paint the tank this time around though. Mainly depends on money. (Last day of finals! Woot!)

"Before" - I know, I know. It hides the rust very well but it's there; trust me.

Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM.

Comment

thats what mine USED to look like.....check out my photos if ya want....

Comment

Originally posted by lemmon95gt View Post
                        .....check out my photos if ya want....
                        Why not just go ahead and post them yourself?

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X