No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust is done, and the rear brake line is now secured. As I used Goodridge stainless braided lines and they are a fair bit narrower than the old stock lines the inspector wanted to see the line more secure along the swingarm. I had it running where the old lines went and I'm sure it was perfectly secure but he wanted it clamped tight. So I just bent the clamps down a bit more. Done.

So now all I have to do is fix the indicators - which I know I can do - and tighten the clutch cable and I'm ready to be registered.

Interesting tidbit - as my Shorai battery was still charging I used an ebay lithium battery to get to the inspection. Because it is tiny it was sitting on two spraycan lids inside the battery compartment so the leads could reach it! It worked perfectly and you can't see it while the side covers are on. Now that the Shorai is charged again it will be going back in.

Comment

Now I have fresh oil in there as well. Took the clutch cover off to give it a clean and get the gunk out of the glass oil level window. Adjusted the clutch to please the inspector. So now all I have to do is fix the indicators.

This is weird. The indicators worked all the time until the morning of the inspection. You can tell if one of the indicators is not working sometimes because the blinking speeds up. It never did that before! So I took off the front indicator that wasn't working and it's toast. The bulb is fine but the wiring is crispy fried. It's just old and impossible to solder to. Oh well, I put on my much nicer new indicators and hope the inspector likes them even though they're not stock.

So I guess it would be a good idea to put the matching indicators on at the rear, especially seeing as the stock ones aren't too healthy. In fact the rear blinker that is now faulty is even worse than the front one! I just don't get how they could work perfectly for so long and then fail the morning of the inspection. There are dark forces at work here.

Comment

The grounding ring and where it rides against the shaft plus the connector are problem area's with these young scooters.
        I make them nice and shiny, better than new.

Daniel

Comment

Well I replaced all four indicators today. And they all work. Yay! I took it out for a ride to test the clutch, swish the new oil around and just shake some cobwebs out and it is running the best it has since I have had the bike. It must really like the new oil. Everything is working as well as I can imagine, having never ridden another Suzuki. I really like this bike. It's a lot of fun to ride! Very comfortable too.

Comment

Now, as soon as it is legal, you will be well on your way to searching for another "fix."
            They are addicting.

Daniel

Comment

Ah but I have a tricky way of avoiding having a collection of bikes - nowhere to keep them! It is already difficult having two bikes.

But I agree with you. It IS addictive. Anyway I'm off to the inspection centre again.

Comment

Back from inspection - registered!! Yay! Now I can really get stuck in.

Not sure my lovely little tacho is accurate. The bike seems to want to idle at 2000 according to my new tacho, but it seems very slow for 2000rpm. I think I'll plug in my old tach and see what it says. BTW on the way back from rego I did open it up a bit and yes indeed - it loves to rev! In normal riding I barely get up to 4500rpm but today I got it up to 6000 and it sounds amazing and pulls like crazy. Very impressive.

Comment

Pics from my little ride to the beach today:

Nowhere near finished yet but I just had to ride it.

Comment

Hey Jimmy, where did you get the grips?
                    My sister is in Kalbarri, 45 at their place over the weekend.
                    PS. Looking good!
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

very nice work

Comment

Hey thanks guys! Landshark I got the grips here:

They have lots of cool stuff. The grips are extremely comfy for my large hands. They are also extremely rubbery! I had to cut the ends out to fit the bar-end mirrors and it was really tricky because they were so rubbery.

This evening I took off all the back end stuff - rear lights, fenders - everything. Tomorrow I will be removing any unnecessary tabs, etc before I get the frame powdercoated.

Comment

Awesome Jimmy! Glad to hear it

I can't believe I'm about to say this but... do you really wanna cut the rear end up? She looks so good now...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah I know... But really it looks a lot better in the pics than in real life! Actually the only real rust I have on the bike is at the rear. I am amazed at how much better it does look in the pics - almost annoying because it was so crappy when I first bought it but no-one believes me because it looks fine in the photos! I have removed SO MUCH crud from this bike!

Anyway, my plan is to proceed extremely slowly. First I am cutting off the rear brake switch mount tabs because I have a hydraulic switch now. Then the tank mount tabs because the tank mouts differently now so they aren't needed. I may even end up adding some metal along the seat rails just behind the tank because my intended seat is a lot thinner so may need a little more height at that point. But I am taking it slowly and will not cut until I am absolutely certain.

Thing is, I did buy a bit of a heap as a project and I should stick to my original plan. I am going about it in a bit of a haphazard fashion I know!

Comment

She looks great and glad to hear that you FINALLY got to have some legal FUN on it!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                                Yeah I know... But really it looks a lot better in the pics than in real life! Actually the only real rust I have on the bike is at the rear. I am amazed at how much better it does look in the pics - almost annoying because it was so crappy when I first bought it but no-one believes me because it looks fine in the photos! I have removed SO MUCH crud from this bike!

Anyway, my plan is to proceed extremely slowly. First I am cutting off the rear brake switch mount tabs because I have a hydraulic switch now. Then the tank mount tabs because the tank mouts differently now so they aren't needed. I may even end up adding some metal along the seat rails just behind the tank because my intended seat is a lot thinner so may need a little more height at that point. But I am taking it slowly and will not cut until I am absolutely certain.

Thing is, I did buy a bit of a heap as a project and I should stick to my original plan. I am going about it in a bit of a haphazard fashion I know!
                                Whatever works best for you Jimmy

I'm still keen to see you end up with what you want... and you've done a great job so far!

Glad you're planning on taking your time and putting some thought into it though, would hate to see her get junked because you cut too much too fast... can't see you doing that though
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X