No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh no! I like this bike far too much! It;s funny though - you buy what you think is a just an old crappy bike to "reinvent" and find that actually it is a much better thing than you realised. Then you get quite attached to it and less willing to be all gung-ho about ripping into it. My plans have slightly changed in that now I don't want to be quite as radical as I originally did, but I definitely want a rear end for the bike that matches the front.

So I guess I want a rear section that looks about 10 years or so older than it already is!

Comment

Here is a picture of one of my favorite 1100g's I've seen in the last year or so. Indesol of the Portland, OR area did this one. I'll be doing something along these lines. The seat I saw on your bike in earlier post is really nice. I want to use mine for robustly touring, so I'm going to keep it's sports sofa seat. Congrats on getting it registered!

cg
      Last edited by Charlie G; 03-12-2012, 11:31 PM.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hey Charlie that cool - and low! I'd love to see some clearer pics.

Today was possibly the most nerve racking of all during this project. To chop or not to chop?? I have had to remind myself of the whole reason for this project. I have come to really like this bike and definitely don't want to spoil it. But I always wanted this project to have a particular look to it - it's why I bought this bike. So I spent all day figuring out the best way to do this, and this is how it looks as of tonight:

I will be welding a loop of frame around the rear under the seat. And I think I will be chopping that rear fender a bit shorter too - I can use the license plate to add to the fender's effective length. BTW I was stoked when I got my license plated yesterday - 1FO ***!

I think this is going to be a great bike and I'm really excited. I have discovered that I got much more than I bargained for once I got to ride it, and now I have gotten rid of the only part left that I didn't like - that boxy tail. I have actually come to like it a little bit but suspect that I will love the new version even more!

Comment

Nice one Jimmy, that looks heaps better than I feared it would!

I'd leave that rear guard where it is for the moment as that (in Qld anyway) is still quite legal but doesn't detract from the looks.

That front guard though... man that needs some work!

My thinking would be shorten the rear up to about level with the brake caliper and shorten the top back to just forward of the axle... once again it will still be legal but will look heaps better. The only question in my mind is whether to leave it shiny or black it out... blacking it out will make it disappear into the tyre a bit given it's so close to the tyre.

Just my 2 cents anyway, so please feel free to disregard
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Oh no I like hearing other opinions. I'm glad it's not as hideous as you feared! :-) Actually my wife is a great help in these situations because while very supportive she isn't as close to it all as I am. She hated the original rear end! She loves the new seat. So it eases my fears of stuffing up the whole bike.

It will look a lot better I'm sure when I can get the frame loop welded up the back. And also when the tail light is in place. I'm also thinking of putting in a little more metal under the seat where it sits on the side rails of the frame. You wouldn't see it once the seat is on but it may help the seat sit right. I think it will look best if the lower edge of the seat lines up with the bottom of the tank.

The front fender is the old stock one. It ain't staying! I have an alloy front fender to match the rear. I would LOVE to get them both finished the same as my bars - a kind of textured and anodised finish. I think that keeping them as "bare" metal will enhance the classic look. But having them textured will keep it modern too.

Comment

That does look sharp Jimmy! The fenders your thinking of putting sound nice.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

You could place one of those after-market LED brake lights just under the tail of the rear seat and it might look sharp.

Eric

Comment

Aaaah I'd forgotten about the guards you have waiting to go on! Yes that will look much better

sigpic

Comment

Well I have to say I feel much happier about it today! I felt a bit sick last night - confused I guess - had I done the right thing? Does it look crap? So I looked at the pic again and it looks a lot better than it did last night. I didn't realise how attached to the bike I had become or something like that. I guess it all comes down to I really want to get it as right as I possibly can, and it's very hard to tell until you do it. I just hate the idea that it will be "almost there".

Eric - that is a great idea. Actually I had seen those and nearly went with one, but in the end there was the more retro style light that I found which I think will fit the picture I had in my head better. I think if I had a lot less fender the little catseye tail light would be perfect. And also there will be a loop of frame filling that gap shortly.

I really like the slightly lower seat height. I do like to feel like I'm sitting "in" a bike rather than "on" a bike. The stock seat is super comfy but this one is more me.

Comment

So happy with how it's going. Still mocking up but have mounted the tail light. I am still hoping that I can get the alloy fenders finished in that satin-textured anodised finish like the bars. I think they would complement the glossy dark tank beautifully.

Oh - and I photoshopped out the second half of the number plate. I don't know why but they are always obscuring number plates on tv so there must be some reason!

Comment

they only do that because they dont have the permission of the person to show them, nothing can be gained from having the number plate shown, in reality... someone could find your bike on here, go to the area in your location on your profile ( depending how pin point it is ) spot your bike in the street, follow you home and when your out pinch it...

But alot of websites etc wont let you post a vehicle etc for sale unless you disclose the plates, vin, engine numbers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy View Post
                          in reality... someone could find your bike on here, go to the area in your location on your profile ( depending how pin point it is ) spot your bike in the street, follow you home and when your out pinch it...

Dont fvck up my plans Woodsy!

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                            Dont fvck up my plans Woodsy!
                            Hahahahahaha gold! Got a ticket to Perth Tim?

Jimmy, that tail like looks the goods! Do it

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete. Yeah I'm pretty happy with the whole look with the tail like that. I always thought it would look a bit front-heavy, and it does, but I think it's in a good way. I think the loop I put in the frame under the rear of the seat is going to be (a) quite tricky and (b) quite important to how the bike looks.

I tidied up the battery box this afternoon. I made a new back plate for it which I think is clever! What it means is that you will hardly be able to see any of the wiring coming up from the ignition, starter, etc. Not easy when so much of the inside of the bike is exposed. So much still to do, but I feel like the end is just about in sight! I think once the frame is powdercoated it will look 100% better.

Comment

Sounds good! Wanna do something about my battery box for me?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X