• Show
Clear All

I love the finish!

Eric

Comment

Lookin good there JimmyR!

Comment

This has been a good Friday. (sorry...) I took some pics at lunchtime:

A rolling chassis by lunchtime. I'm working very slowly and carefully and cleaning each bolts as needs be. It's quite enjoyable as it's my bike! Here are a couple of better pics of the finish:

Comment

And tonight - look, there's an engine!

I was going to ask my neighbour for a hand getting the engine ine but although I thought he was home nobody answered the door. Hmm... He is in his 20s and his girlfriend was home too. Maybe he was doing what I was doing on a beautiful day in my 20s...

So I managed to wrestle the engine in by myself. Not easy but not one swear word was uttered. Slow and steady wins the race! I think I have marked the finish in one or two places but it's pretty minor. Getting the drive shaft tightened up to the gearbox was interesting too. I have a new rubber boot over it all now so it looks great. The new parts, polished bolts and new finish all make the bike look fantastic. The foot controls look so good against the texture black:

Well I think so anyway. I am enjoying this bit of the rebuild enormously. Tonight I will be putting self-adhesive rubber sheet inside the battery box and fusebox/ignition compartment. I want to cushion the ride for the delicate bits.

Comment

Wow! Looking forward to seeing this thing finished, looks good!

Comment

Makes me wish i did my frame that color. stunning.

Comment

Looks awesome mate! Something different from the gloss PC but I really like it. Cant wait to see this finished! Not long now right?

Comment

Great finish on the frame Jimmy, very classy! Keep the great pics and updates on progress coming and looking at what you have done in the last few days it won't be too long before you are riding the new machine, cheers.
                  Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
                  Shin-Ken 1074
                  1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                  1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Love it Jimmy! Love it love it love it... that is gonna be awesome!

Nice job cleaning up the engine too, looks much better...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks guys! My back is really feeling it this morning. I thought I had been careful moving the engine but wow - very stiff and sore today. At least all the heavy stuff is out of the way now. I guess today will be electrical.

Comment

Should've gone with the "frame on engine" trick. Did it with mine and took all of 10 minutes and minimal aches and pains.

Comment

Yeah I thought about that. But I had seen other blokes sit the engine right next to the bike and slide it in, so that's what I did. I didn't think I had used my back too much, and it was actually easier than I thought it might have been. The trickiest bit was lining up all the bolts with their holes. But I reckon 1/2 an hour and it was all done.

Anyway I thought you guys would like to see the battery box, now that it's finished. I haven't got the back plate on it here but it shows the padding, the finish and the slot down the back where my wiring will go.

Comment

And at the risk of being boring, here is the underseat tray which is now cushioned under the fusebox and ignition module and also where it sits on the frame. Here it is with and without the ignition box so you can see the padding:

Comment

Good stuff!!!

Comment

That looks great Jimmy, so much more professional than my piece of 2.5mm alu. clamped under the seat with P clamps...

Looking at your padding, that's what I should've put under my battery box cover. The rubber I put under there doesn't like being bent at 90 degrees and has forced itself off the side so it's flopping down now. I'm going to have to cut the side piece off and glue it separately to stop that happening.
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X