No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark Rubber has various thicknesses of rubber foam sheets which are self-adhesive. I used a thick piece on the bottom of the box, a couple of layers of the thick stuff to act as spacers on the back of the box, and thinner stuff elsewhere. It's amazing what they have!

Comment

My back is killing me at the moment but I wasn't going to it stop me from working on the bike. I probably should have rested today but was a bit annoyed at having to be sociable over easter (!) and having such a sore back. So it was very slow today but I got a surprising amount done. Had to have a few breaks lying on the floor! Got the exhaust on which was an absolute bugger of a job. Also got the carbies on which was a breeze. Bled the rear brake with the new smaller reservoir, got the electrics all working and adjusted the headlight.

So it's nearly ready. I have to tidy up the rear brake line from the reservoir, actually attach the reservoir to the frame (!), tune the carbies and attach fenders and taillight. I haven't connected the fuel tank to the carbs yet - might have to change the fuel tap first. I have a perfectly good stock tap but might install the Pingel instead. A guy I know who has Mikuni RS36 carbs suggested that the fuel flow is better with the pingel for these carbs.

So here are some "teaser" pics. It should be closer to finished next week. I still need to tidy up the fuel tank.

Comment

Awesome mate.

Comment

love it...that seat is fantastic....I want one

RB

Comment

Awesome Jimmy! Love it! Can't wait to see her all done, I reckon you're gonna have a mile wide smile the first time you throw a leg over
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah!!!!!!

Comment

It's looking good Jimmy. Almost there!

Comment

I already have loved to see this build go all the way to on the road condition but now,
                  I love it even more as the old seat arrived today for my '82 GS1200G!
                  Thank you sooo much Jim!!!

Eric

Comment

Hey I'm pleased you are happy Daniel. Really good to see this stuff get used rather than chucked out.

Not much happening on my bike this week because the anodiser forgot to anodise my fenders. Aargh!! What is it with finishing guys? Oh well. I couldn't have ridden it this week anyway because my back is wrecked at the moment. Tues and Weds I could barely sit up. Still sore as can be but at least I can walk about a bit. I have tidied up my electrics a lot and am pretty happy with most of the bike now. I went a bit crazy and found a Nitroheads seat identical to my seat but without studs so I now have a new seat that fits even better and looks perfect.

So all I really have to do now is fit the fenders and taillight ands we're done. I do want to tidy up the tank a bit and get the funky logos on but that's all just icing on the cake. I'll take pics once the fenders are on.

This stuff is fun.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the back JimmyR! Maybe your finish guy has been breathing too many fumes. Lol

Bike's looking great. Love that grounding post you incorporated.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Bugger on the back Jimmy, maybe the guards not being ready yet is a good thing? Haha... hope you heal up soon so you can take her for a good blast once she's done
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Oh what the hell - my fenders should be ready today so here's a sneak peek before they go on. I definitely think it will look better once the fenders are on, but this still looks pretty cool IMHO:

Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Hey Jimmy, I think it looks really good.

Comment

Your bike looks great! Good work!

Comment

Thanks guys! I just picked up my fenders from the anodiser and hmmm... They don't look like what I was expecting at all! They look like they've been hit with the flattest grey primer you ever saw.

Now I'm really wondering how on earth Renthal get that great textured silver finish on their bars. That's what I want on my fenders.

Comment

Working...
                                X