No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimmy - my much respected artistic opinion ( ) suggests that, do a pinstripe that follows that entire shadow line. And actually have a two toned paint. Very subtle difference but still two toned. So almost how it looks in this shadow, but maybe the top middle with a gloss or metallic.

If it were me, I would run a pin stripe down that entire shadow line that extends up from near the seat all along that top line of the tank down the two right turns at the front. Id hit the main top/middle section with a bit of a glossier metallic (practically same colour as you have) and leave the knee dent/entire side the colour it is. A very subtle difference would be the best result but still add interest once you realise its not one uniform paint job.

Comment

Jimmy I have sort of been dropping in on this one and I have to say it is amazing. So simple but still amazing. Just plain great.

I'm pulling some ideas from this - but trust me I will not be able to copy how good this bike looks!

Comment

Thanks hjacobmiller! But I'm sure you can do it. If I can, anyone can!

And thanks to all the excellent comments about the tank. I really appreciate your ideas and frankly I think you guys are right. It's funny because usually it's ME who advocates absolute bare minimalism. So for now nothing will happen looks-wise, not until I can be happy that it is super subtle and doesn't detract in any way from what I already have.

Who would have thought that powdercoat could look so good? :-)

Comment

Spent sometime yesterday and a LOT of time today wrestling with the RS36 carbies. It was complicated by things like exhaust leaks etc, but I think I finally have it. So tonight I went for a rather more exhilarating ride than I was expecting - damn this thing is FAST! I had it running pretty well before, but since the valve job and new rings this bike is like a bullet. I have never ridden a bike like it. The RS36s really give it a kick up the backside.

I really wasn't expecting it to be so quick. I will have to be careful. Fortunately it seems happy to be ridden sedately. I just have to loosen the throttle cable a little more and a few other tiny things and it's done. This bike is a blast. Oh, and since I updated the brakes they are a lot better. Not Brembos but not too shabby either.

Comment

Glad to hear it Jimmy

I've seen how well John's 1100G goes with a sidecar attached and his is pretty much stock... I can imagine minus the chair and with some juicy carbs she'd be a real rocket ship!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Oh yeah it's nuts! It just makes me admire this bike all the more. I have no idea how much power is being produced and I don't care. All I know is that it's more fun than I need!

Comment

Hahhahaha sounds like you're havin' a ball!!!!

I think it's best if I stick to my 450 for now... I can ring its neck and still have some chance of retaining my license... I think if I went to an 1100 I may have some bills to pay

sigpic

Comment

Well yeah - that is an issue! That's one reason I will have to be careful. On my test run there is a hill I use as a test for climbing at various rev ranges. It's just after a traffic light, which was red this time. So as soon as the light went green I caned it up the hill and was genuinely shocked at the speed halfway up! Luckily it's in a higher speed zone. When I looked in the mirrors the cars were all miles behind. I'm still coming to terms with how much more grunt it has now.

BTW the new mirrors are great.

Comment

hmmm those new mirrors worth the price tag? I need to replace mine but not sure if i can justify the a hunj for some mirrors...
                    unless you found a great deal on them!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                      Well yeah - that is an issue! That's one reason I will have to be careful. On my test run there is a hill I use as a test for climbing at various rev ranges. It's just after a traffic light, which was red this time. So as soon as the light went green I caned it up the hill and was genuinely shocked at the speed halfway up! Luckily it's in a higher speed zone. When I looked in the mirrors the cars were all miles behind. I'm still coming to terms with how much more grunt it has now.

BTW the new mirrors are great.
                      Hahaha... I'm sorry officer I just got new mirrors and was seeing how effective they were with distant traffic...

sigpic

Comment

I wish! I think they are worth it. The cheaper mirrors I have tried have had issues - too small, or they wobble about/are too easy to move, or have cheap glass so have a weird reflection. I like these new ones because they are solidly built, stay where you put them, finish the bar ends off nicely and actually work as mirrors really well! :-) Unlike a lot of barend mirrors they don't stick out to the sides so much, so are less vulnerable when lane splitting.

The first set of mirrors I put on the bike were a lot cheaper and worked ok. These are better though.

Comment

Just an update. Today I tweaked the carbies just a little - moved the fuel screws a 1/4 turn and made a tiny adjustment to the accelerator pump to stop it coming on quite so soon. Very minute adjustments but they seem to have done the trick. The bike is a dream to ride now. Very smooth from stopped and effortless grunt everywhere. I can drop to 40kph in top gear and pull away without a hesitation, fast or slow.

The only weirdness I experienced today was some weird jarring vibration coming from the engine , but I think it was caused by low fuel. As soon as I filled up again it went away. Actually I haven't been filling it up, just putting in about $20 worth of fuel. This is a big tank!

The other thing I noticed was the mirror vibration. There isn't any. Absolutely none. Coming from a Harley that is outright strange.

Comment

Awesome stuff Jimmy!

I need to persevere and get my carbs tuned up a bit better... I've got the idle wound up a little more than I should as the plugs start to foul in traffic if I can't open her up and clear some of the excess fuel (she's a tad rich).

She's also a little more vibey than she should be, which is partly carbs but I'm starting to think it's also the motorcross 'bars I have on there. They're alloy so much lighter than the stock 'bars and I'm wondering if some 'bar weights wouldn't go astray, although not sure how they'd go with the hand guards...

sigpic

Comment

Still a bit overwhelmed by the reactions I have been getting with my bike. I feel like a bit of a cheat or something - it's just a bike! I guess I'm a bit too close to the whole thing, but my friends who have seen my bike seem to love it which is a bit weird and humbling. I'm really happy that people like it but I still have to tune it and things keep cropping up...

The weird vibration thing - think I have that sorted. I think it was a loose pilot jet in carb #1. Must have missed it when changing pilots for the millionth time! I'm really finessing the carbs now, trying to get everything perfect in every area. The bike runs really well but the plugs tell me it's too rich - as does the smell of the exhaust. So I'm gradually reducing the size of pilots while adjusting needles to compensate in various ways.

It would be easy to leave it a bit rich, but I want it to run perfectly. The only ways I know it's rich are the colour of the plugs and the slight hesitation when rolling on more throttle in low revs. It's not even a bogging, just a hesitation. The exhaust leaks were throwing me a bit too, but I seem to finally have plugged them all.

So tomorrow I hope to have the jetting all FINALLY sorted. It isn't easy when you have to learn all of the symptoms before you can fix them. But I'm getting there.

Comment

Jimmy... it ain't just a bike... it's a GS

It's also one that you've put a lot of time and effort into to make it how you want it to be.

I get some compliments on mine from people at work etc. too and it's a great feeling to not only have accomplished something like that (first time ever for me) but also to have it recognised

One thing with carbs is that very rarely do they end up perfect... so if you have to compromise, compromise on the rich side...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X