No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin' real good Jimmy! And yes, love the Tranzac reverse mega's... although I'm a little biased of course

And don't worry, I missed a bit when painting my front wheel for the same reason, although fortunately noone's noticed yet...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

These are my new fenders. I really like the rear one but wasn't so sure about the front. So I mocked it up for a photo and actually I am starting to like it. It doesn't hide much of the lovely fat tyre!

I even tried to capture how cool the new clocks look with the power on. Of course the pics don't really do them justice but I couldn't be bothered setting up lights to shoot it properly!

Comment

Very tasty... and yes that front guard looks good... as do the clocks

sigpic

Comment

Thanks mate! A funny thing happened today while I was testing things after reinstalling the front indicators. As soon as I tightened the left switch unit (the one with the indicator switches, horn button and hi/lo beam switch) to the handlebar the horn would sound. I spent ages looking for shorts inside the housing (short circuits, not a pair of shorts), insulating things, rearranging wires - nothing worked. As soon as I tightened the screws to clamp it to the handlebars the horn would sound.

So as I was watching really closely to see what might be shorting out I noticed a few tiny sparks between the bars and the housing. For some reason the switch housing was shorting directly to the bars where the paint on the inside surface of the housing had worn. So I wrapped a little gaffa tape around the bars to insulate them from the housing and it's fixed! Weird! I might redo it with some electrical tap because the gaffa is a bit thick. But it works.

Comment

Wow that is weird! I thought there'd be no chance of that happening... is something in the control block not sitting right maybe?

sigpic

Comment

It's lookin great Jimmy! Keep it up.

Comment

I don't think I've commented on this build yet, but I do have to say it's awesome. I love the raw brushed look that the forks, headlight & ears, gauges and bars bring in. Then the nice fat black tire and wheel to break it up. I say keep the fender raw alloy and it would be perfect. This build is way to clean for texture paint, its begging for some deep deep gloss black body work.

If you want help mocking up some paint schemes shoot me a PM, I did some digital mock-ups for quite a few members now. Pete and Redneck included, and I'd be happy to do some for you.

Cheers and keep up the excellent work!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                  I don't think I've commented on this build yet, but I do have to say it's awesome. I love the raw brushed look that the forks, headlight & ears, gauges and bars bring in. Then the nice fat black tire and wheel to break it up. I say keep the fender raw alloy and it would be perfect. This build is way to clean for texture paint, its begging for some deep deep gloss black body work.

If you want help mocking up some paint schemes shoot me a PM, I did some digital mock-ups for quite a few members now. Pete and Redneck included, and I'd be happy to do some for you.

Cheers and keep up the excellent work!
                  I can highly recommend Tims mock ups, he helped me decide on the scheme for my 450 Thanks again Tim!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement guys - much appreciated! This bike isn't so much a hobby at the moment, more like an obsession. :-)

Today was spent tidying up random things. I wasn't happy with my wiring so tidied it a bit and also cut a slot in the back of the battery box which will act as both drainage and a channel for routing the wiring coming up from the stator, ignition, etc. Because the Shorai battery is shallower I can put padding/spacing material in the back two corners and leave a space for wiring. I'll have to take a pic to explain.

Also got the seals in place for the rear brake so it's installed now. Those brake seals are tricky! Once you know where they are supposed to go it's not so bad but mine were originally so degraded it was hard to tell what was going on.

Also tried to set the timing on the Dynatek ignition, but I think I need to email them for help! Too hard to explain here, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

I have ordered a tappet depressor and a Suzuki feeler gauge set because I intend to teach myself how to set the tappets. I had intended just telling the tappets sad stories about my life but they wouldn't get depressed. So the "special tool" it is. Has anyone else noticed that the Suzuki manual is full of references to "the special tool"?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                      Thanks for all the encouragement guys - much appreciated! This bike isn't so much a hobby at the moment, more like an obsession. :-)

Today was spent tidying up random things. I wasn't happy with my wiring so tidied it a bit and also cut a slot in the back of the battery box which will act as both drainage and a channel for routing the wiring coming up from the stator, ignition, etc. Because the Shorai battery is shallower I can put padding/spacing material in the back two corners and leave a space for wiring. I'll have to take a pic to explain.

Also got the seals in place for the rear brake so it's installed now. Those brake seals are tricky! Once you know where they are supposed to go it's not so bad but mine were originally so degraded it was hard to tell what was going on.

Also tried to set the timing on the Dynatek ignition, but I think I need to email them for help! Too hard to explain here, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

I have ordered a tappet depressor and a Suzuki feeler gauge set because I intend to teach myself how to set the tappets. I had intended just telling the tappets sad stories about my life but they wouldn't get depressed. So the "special tool" it is. Has anyone else noticed that the Suzuki manual is full of references to "the special tool"?
                      Hahahahaha nice... you can't keep a good GS down you know! Hahaha

Plenty of guys on here run the Dynatek ignition so you'll likely get some good help. I have one in mine but it's not all fancy like yours, it uses the mechanical advance still. I still love it but

Just be careful with the tappet depressor as they're known to slip off allowing the shim to slam into the cam lobe. There is a technique apparently, but stick with the tried and true cable tie method myself, although I haven't tried the depressor at all.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post

The Tappet depressor is a great tool. I am currently working with my clearances as well. Just need to get one more shim in tomorrow when I get time. Check out my thread and you will learn from my process.

1) Get the spread sheet from Steve.
                        2) Never turn the motor with a shim out of the bucket.
                        3) Join the shim club in the GS services forum.

I am glad I did all three of these.

Here's my thread.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Good Times View Post
                          The Tappet depressor is a great tool. I am currently working with my clearances as well. Just need to get one more shim in tomorrow when I get time. Check out my thread and you will learn from my process.

1) Get the spread sheet from Steve.
                          2) Never turn the motor with a shim out of the bucket.
                          3) Join the shim club in the GS services forum.

I am glad I did all three of these.

Here's my thread.

Good luck!
                          +1 on the valve spreadsheet! Forgot about that even though I use it myself...

Not sure how well the shim club will work over here in Aus, but I've been using http://www.precisionshims.com.au/a/P...hims-Australia for mine.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                            How much are they , Pete?
                            GS850GT

Comment

Thanks for all the guidance. This place is truly amazing. I have discovered from the guy at Dynatek that my bike is one of two (apparently) that never had a timing plate thing (Suzuki part # 33371-45001). So I have ordered one from my very helpful local dealer and it will cost me all of Aust$10. But it has to come from Japan so will be a couple of weeks. Otherwise I have no way of knowing where to set the crank trigger.

The other thing which confuses me is the cam chain. I know I have to change mine as it rattled like crazy when I rode the bike home. It almost drowned out the engine! Everyone says that you have to pull out the crankshaft to replace the cam chain as it is all in one loop. But my Suzuki replacement cam chain is not a continuous loop, it has a joiner link. So I can break the existing chain and use it to feed the new chain in place and join it up, as long as I either have the right tools or know someone who does! So why does everyone - including the Suzuki manual - insist otherwise?

I am much happier working on electrical stuff. I feel more comfortable working that stuff out. Engines are a dark world of mystery to me. :-)

Comment

Pics! Here is the battery box. When you see it looking from the engine side you can see the slot cut into it which makes room for the wiring. It's still a bit rough - I will be tidying a bit more before it goes to powdercoat. You can see at the top edge the packing that pushes the battery away from the wiring. Again that will be tidied soon.

When you see the rear side of the battery box you can see the insert piece which will be finished in brushed raw aluminium while the box will be texture black. You can also see the little tray above and to the rear of it. This holds the fusebox, signal relay and ignition module. I'm redoing this tray and it will fit better very soon. It will butt up against the battery box so everything will be very neat.

Comment

Working...
                                X