No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pete - magazines generally pay really badly! I don't envisage lots of money in bike photography where I live but at least it's fun!

Charlie - I have used white tea towels, white plates, pads of white paper, white walls, and even once moved a white ambulance to act as reflectors! You have to be a bit careful though because you want to make sure that what you use is properly white. And yes, flat is better than shiny. You can buy all sorts of fold out reflectors but in the studio nothing beats large sheets of expanded polystyrene. I have two sizes - 4' x 8' and 4' x 3' or thereabouts.

With smaller objects like bowls I have had good results using on camera flash but point the flash at the reflector, not the subject. Blend the reflected light with available light, preferably opposite sides and make sure you don't kill the modelling effect of you main light source. Use the flash as fill. Or use the nice soft flash as key and indirect daylight as fill.

One of my favourite pieces of kit for when I can't take proper light is my little curly cord that I can use my flash with. It lets me take the flash off the camera and point it wherever. Not a cheap cord but invaluable. I can set up a shot of someone in their office or workshop, place a reflector to one side and bounce the flash off it. So much better than using on-camera flash. Works for bikes too!

Comment

Thanks for the photo input. I'm a carpenter/cabinet maker and I'll paint up a few scraps of plywood and play with it. The remote flash give me something to think about. Thanks again.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here's something I finally got done - I picked up these cool little headlight mounts from Web bike in Japan. They were made to fit a smaller bike, so I had to get a local machine shop to open up the tube clamps to fit a 37mm tube. They managed to fit them in a 3 jaw lathe so it cost next to nothing to do fortunately.

Then the bolts that fit the headlight shell were too small for mounting holes so I got some stainless tube from a hobby store which just happens to be exactly the right size for the bolts to fit inside and the outside of the tube fits snugly inside the mount holes. So I cut a couple of tiny bits to sleeve the bolts as they pass through the mounts. Finally had to use a couple of spacers between the light and the mounts if I wanted to keep it all square. I just happened to have some and I have no idea where they are from, but they fit perfectly!

Comment

Tidied up the wiring a bit - now it looks better. Plus I got new throttle cables at last and rerouted them so now I don't have a foot of throttle cable poking out the front any more!

Comment

Love the headlight mount Jimmy. It's looking really good.

Comment

Well JR it just gets better n better.

Had an idea for you, choose to ingnore it if you want.

What about adding a small cover piece under the gauges, and curved down and wrapped around the sides to hide the tops of the cables and ignition lock ? would have be chomed, no doubt.

Cheers John

Comment

Waiting for parts and will be taking stuff to powdercoat on monday. So today I found some black vinyl to finish off a part I have had sitting in plain steel for a while. I made this bit a while ago just to finish off the bit where the seat meets the tank. I think the seat placement is exactly where I want it so needed a little filler piece. It tidies things up nicely.

Comment

Nice attention to detail there. Par for the course on this bike.

Comment

Geez Jimmy, I didn't even notice there was anything wrong at that spot! Nicely done, and as GT says nice attention to detail
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Wow - down to page 5! We can't have this.

Ok progress has been slow and boring. I've been working on the engine which really is getting out of my depth but actually I'm quite enjoying it. The barrel has gone from this:

To this:

And the valves now look like this:

I just have to carefully clean this before I put the barrel back on:

So I am delighted to finally have the finned parts all clean. They were the only thing letting the bike down. Plus now, with new rings and freshly honed bores, perfect valve seats and new seals I should have a 100% happy engine.

Comment

I am quite anal and really like stopping as well as I can, so I got some new Metalgear brake discs, replaced any rusty bolts on the brakes and will soon have a much more recent MC with adjustable lever. I think the brakes look really good now. I love the texture black powdercoat on them, and the discs look exactly like the stock ones except new. They are even painted black around the edges, which looks pretty flash.

Comment

very tidy nice work

Comment

Nice work Jimmy! She just keeps looking better and better...

Gotta say I like my Metalgear front disc too, definitely works better than my old one which was just a smidge undersized...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Cheers guys. Hey did you use a Metalgear disc on your bike Pete? That's good to know. I have quite good braking already, but want to go as good as I can get without making major modifications. So I have ordered a MC and lever from a current Suzuki - a V-Strom I think - in the hope that the more modern MC and lever will give me more of the braking force without having to squeeze the lever to the bar. The braking is actually not that bad but the lever as it is now almost touches the grip when I use it.

I can;t wait to see how the bike performs once it's all back together. I am hoping that I will get more consistent results from the engine. Before it would run beautifully one day, not so well the next. I think now I have fixed everything that can be fixed.

Comment

Nice to see some updates on your build! I didn't realize that you had dug into the engine at all . It's gonna look very nice when it's all back together. Love that front disc too, looks very nice. Is that an Australian part? I've never seen them before IIRC.

Also kudos on the seat tank gap filler. Its the little things that make all the difference!

Keep up the great work.

Comment

Working...
                                X