No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm getting worried. I hope you guys like what I am doing with the tank! Actually I'm still thinking about the tank, and although I think it will look fantastic I have a few back-up plans for it just in case. Word is it will be ready mid-next week.

In the meantime I decided to look into a better way of connecting the exhaust to the engine. When I got the bike it had a really sad 4-1 exhaust that sounded like a maraca. As a result all the fixing hardware was non-original and didn't fit the new pipes. But it just dawned on me that if the pipes I have were designed to fit an original bike maybe I should use original clamps. So they are on their way. I am thinking that if the pipes fit perfectly then I will get no more carb farting.

Comment

Jimmy, the guy at Tranzac uses a jig to bend up the pipes, so guaranteed they were made to bolt to the stock mounting points... sounds like a good plan to me
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

My bike is staring at me. It wants to know why we're not going out riding. Just a few days more...

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
          My bike is staring at me. It wants to know why we're not going out riding. Just a few days more...
          I though I was the only one got those looks.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

The bike is looking super slick Jimmy. GREAT work.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              I though I was the only one got those looks.

cg
              That makes three of us Charlie... the little Ducati peeks at me every time I walk in the garage now... I think it's jealous of the 450...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                Now I'm getting worried. I hope you guys like what I am doing with the tank! Actually I'm still thinking about the tank, and although I think it will look fantastic I have a few back-up plans for it just in case. Word is it will be ready mid-next week.

In the meantime I decided to look into a better way of connecting the exhaust to the engine. When I got the bike it had a really sad 4-1 exhaust that sounded like a maraca. As a result all the fixing hardware was non-original and didn't fit the new pipes. But it just dawned on me that if the pipes I have were designed to fit an original bike maybe I should use original clamps. So they are on their way. I am thinking that if the pipes fit perfectly then I will get no more carb farting.
                Jimmy what do you mean by the original clamps?
                I cant believe how much trouble those pipes are causing.

Regards
                GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
                1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
                1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys! (blush)

Yay. Today I got the lower front head bearing race replaced. I had to make a little "tool" to get it out. I tried drifts etc to bang it out. but the head tube flairs out at the end where the race is making anything straight miss the race. So I made a little lozenge shaped piece of steel cut from flat bar and beveled the edges to let it sit on the top edge of the lower race. then thumped it with a drift until the race came out. Then I got my wife to hold all the headlight stuff while I whacked the new one in. Done.

Ged - when I got my bike the exhaust was a horrible 4-1 which wasn't stock. The flanges where the pipes attach to the engine were completely different so the clamp things that bolt the pipes to the engine were not stock. Now I have "stock" pipes I need stock clamps.

Comment

Getting a bit antsy now. Maybe the tank will be ready tomorrow - nah, they said it might be ready at the powdercoater so it won't. Today I spent my spare time pulling little bits off and replacing them with new bits, like the castle bolts on the rear brake arm. Also took off some bits to give them a coat of rustguard matt black enamel.

Really I was just getting anal wanting something to do to fill the time until I get the tank. Does the bit of bent wire which keeps the speedo cable away from the wheel really need a coat of black paint? Well it got one anyway. It will just get filthy again quickly anyway.

Comment

You can always shoot over my way and sand back some parts im getting ready to paint. I hate prepping for paint.

Comment

I've never been to the gold coast. I've only ever been to Brisbane once, and that was for work. We stayed in the very oddly named Capallaba (sp?). Qld seems to have more cheap cool bikes than any other state, judging by Ebay. What is going on over there? Qld also seems well represented here on the GSR. Is there anyone else from WA here??

BTW Landshark, it seems that we lost another surfer over here to a great white. Maybe the reef stops them coming so close to shore over there?

Off to harass the powdercoaters now.

Comment

I have seen another sandgroper on here mate, maybe oldgrumpy? but i cant remember.
                          I think the cheapest bikes and cars are in VIC? but i could be wrong.

No reef here mate, stops a few hundred K's north(about 1000km's actually i think?)
                          Must be too many blokes to eat over your way.

Comment

Well bikes over here are stupidly expensive. I look at Ebay etc for old bikes and QLD and Vic are routinely thousands cheaper than here. There's a fella here who is selling an '82 GS1100G in pretty crap condition and wants $4000 for it. I got mine from rural NSW for $1500. Maybe the fatcats over here appeal to sharks? I think WA must be on their migratory route, we usually get some sightings (and recently attacks) around Sept, as they follow the whales.

Anyway this is how sad I am getting as I wait for my tank. Last night I painted the bolts for my rear MC and the chrome (= rusty) things that the pegs attach to.

BTW the cap on top of the MC protects the hydraulic brake switch. It has a wire poking out the top so I used the little black cap to tidy it up. Yes I have no life anymore.

I also ground out some of the seams on the chrome things - actually I quite like the look of 'em now.

Maybe the tank will be ready tomorrow. I harassed them today but they are still trying to make the logo panels invisible. They're a pretty good bunch really.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2012, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Nice, but much more detail than i have patience to go too!
                              Awesome job on the whole!

Comment

It's a sickness. And work is incredibly slow right now. If I didn't have this bike to do I would be going crazy in a bad way. Business is terrible so I have to keep myself amused somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                X