Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimmy,

My 1100g doesn't have a hydraulic switch at the master cylinder cylinder. Could you take a picture of it with the black cap off and post it for me to see it looks like? Is this something you added? I understand this sickness you suffer from. It can be a strength and a weakness.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hey Charlie I will try to do that tomorrow. It's late here now. This is what I used : http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=KS12-0011

It replaced the stock switch - it's a lot smaller and it meant I could cut more tabs off my frame! I used one at the front too. They work really well.

And this endless tinkering is not really endless. Once I get riding the tinkering will become less ridiculous. It's just that right now I have lots of time on my hands which is a bit unusual and all I want to do is get the bike done. But I seem to always be waiting for something. In the meantime I like to keep doing something, so it all gets to be a bit silly. I have a can of matt black rustguard here so if I am waiting much longer for my tank you never know what will become black. It's probably a good thing we have no pets...

Actually powdercoat would have been a better choice for the peg mount things but that would have taken more time. As it is I think the paint looks great.

Comment

The link to Z-1 answered my questions concerning the switch, thanks.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I feel your pain Jimmy, but from the other perspective... work is manic right now and after working all day yesterday I worked from 10pm to 1am this morning.

The little Ducati is just waiting at the moment. No time to locate new crankshaft bearings or an oil seal and no time to finish degreasing everything with the Marine Clean.

Also means no time to pick up the blasting gun and build the little blasting cabinet...

I've resorted to scouring for bicycle parts for the frame but aren't having a heap of success there either...

On the plus side, you're getting even more detail touches done which are awesome
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Woohoo! Just had word that my tank SHOULD be ready tomorrow. So I may be able to ride tomorrow if all goes well...

Comment

Hey JimmyR,,,,,hope you don't mind me asking, where did you get the foot pegs that are on your bike now, those are really good looking, wouldn't mind putting them on my bike as well (sorry to copy) and also was it a straight bolt on, or did you need to do any modifications. I looked around here in your thread but could not find from where your got them...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                Woohoo! Just had word that my tank SHOULD be ready tomorrow. So I may be able to ride tomorrow if all goes well...
                Can't wait Jimmy!!

sigpic

Comment

No problem Gatekeeper! I got them from Dime City Cycles. I was going to post a link but my server is really slow right now. I did need to grind a bit off the sides of the square bit that fits into the holding bracket. If you look closely at the pic above you can see that one side is thicker than the other on the bits that the pin goes through. Also, the hole in the peg is wider than the hole through the mounts, but it seems to work just fine.

I don't use the springs that push the pegs down as I like to leave the pegs vertical when I move the bike into my studio otherwise I bark my shins on them! I'm used to forward controls.

Comment

So the fancy exhaust pipe clamps turned up today. I've been out in my workshop swearing at the exhaust again. I think the guy who made these pipes got the flanges wrong. All the diagrams I see of pipes have narrow flanges but these are at least 1' wide. So there is no way I can use the weird 1/2 moon plates in there. My hopes of using stock mounts are evaporating. I will have to mod them.

Anyway, after lunch I'm off to collect the tank. That should be exciting.

Comment

Ah no, less than exciting. No tank today. Not happy.

Oh well. Spent some time replacing rusty bolts on the front discs, swearing at exhaust pipes and installing a new MC at the front. I wondered if a modern MC such as the one for a V-Strom might work better. So at least I now have an adjustable lever. I have bled the brakes and now have the lever tied back to wring as much pressure out of the new system as possible.

So now the only original bits left of the front brakes are the calipers and pistons!

Comment

I have a radial master cylinder off a GSXR i think, cant remember which model it came off. i can find out if interested, but seems like you are sorted.

Comment

Well I'm pleased about the brakes. The new MC seems to have really improved the feel of the front brakes. It always was a bit of a gamble but the V-Strom MC has improved how the brakes feel as they engage - there seems to be a wider range between on and off. At least that's how it feels. Plus with the adjustable lever I can stop fully on seeming to be right on the grips!

Comment

Finally! Still not completely finished but not too far off. Bad - first run since getting the engine work done (new rings, valves done) and it seems a bit lean in the low revs, so I went up a size in pilots. Better, but not quite there yet. One more size up should do it. Good - the brakes are really good now. The dramatic overhaul pays off!

Comment

Awesome Jimmy! Top notch!

sigpic

Comment

Looking really good...short of polishing up the side covers a bit I can't see what else, visually, that would need to be done. It's a sharp looking bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X