No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah I would totally agree that rich is better than lean. The carbs have always been good after 1/2 throttle. It's always been about the idle/just off idle area. Right now I have 25 pilots and the needles at one click from the top. It idles really well, goes fast really well but coughs under accel just off idle. It's not bad but I want perfect.

When I had with the needles at one click from the bottom it was a lot better but bogged slightly when accelerating off idle. Also the plugs tell me that it's idling rich. Same with the needles on the middle click.

So now I will try 22.5 pilots with the needles at one click from bottom. In fact I will go and do that right now.

Comment

Nup, the 22.5 pilots won't do it. They idle ok but even with the needles on the richest setting it pops and splutters just off idle under any sort of load. So it's back to the 25 pilots and the needles on the second richest setting. Anything less pops and splutters just off idle. Still a bit mystified by this. I can smell that it's rich but any leaner won't work.

Actually I'm wondering how fussy about tuning I should be. Obviously I want perfection and right now it runs really well. The only slight issue I have - other than black plugs - is that if I'm riding at a constant speed and let off the throttle to slow down I get a very very slight hesitation when I put the throttle back on again. Like the engine is clearing it's throat! It's very slight and really not a problem but of course by now I am hyper-sensitive to everything the throttle does. I am thinking I should stop worrying and just ride - it runs so well and is really so much fun.

Comment

Jimmy,

If you need some pointers with tuning your carbs, you might want to post in the carb/fuel section as you would be more likely to attract some more experienced wrenchers.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

+1 on Charlie's suggestion Jimmy, there are some gurus out there... Nessism, Rapidray, Chef all come to mind (there are others too) in regards to things like carb tuning...

You may find you need different needles too.

And if you want a home grown wideband tuner that isn't going to rob you blind, check out http://www.wbo2.com/ based in Canberra. That's my plan for finishing up the 450 tuning and giving me an option to tune other bikes...

Oh, there's a DIY one on there too if you're keen which is what I'll be doing, and it has the ability for on board data logging to make it even more effective.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks guys. I have posted questions quite a few times on the carb section and the guys have been really helpful.

I know I'm not running far off what it should be. If I go down a pilot size then the plugs start to go tan instead of black, but the bike is hard to ride. It's all in the pilot/needle jet area. After about 1/3 throttle it's all good and is great to ride, but if I go down a pilot size it's terrible just off idle regardless of how I have the needles set. I have to have the 25 pilots and needles at one click from the bottom or I get coughing and spluttering from the carbs at just off idle. So it's only just too rich going by the plugs!

I'm thinking of visiting a dyno tuner here in Perth. I could easily live with how it runs right now - I suspect most guys would be delighted with it. It's pretty good! But if it can be better - why not? I think I am at the limits of my abilities now.

Comment

I had a job today - sunday - yuck. Fortunately the sun came out at the end of the day and I had just enough time to have a good long ride. I had adjusted the mix screws to a full turn out, pilots back to 25, and adjusted the accelerator pump a little. The bike rides beautifully. I am so happy with how it performs. Take off from stopped is smooth, gear changes are slick, no bogging or coughing. It's an absolute blast to ride.

So once I permanently attach the rear brake reservoir (!) - it's sitting in a little gap between the frame and rear fender under the seat so it can't go anywhere - my bike is done. The people at this site have helped enormously. I know I will be gagging to do another bike very soon but right now I am enjoying riding this one so much.

I have learnt a helluva lot doing this, especially from you lot, and one of the best things I have learnt is how darn good a Suzuki GS110G is. What a great bike!

Comment

Good stuff Jimmy, glad you're enjoying her!!!

Next up I reckon a little GS twin... kick start 400 would be a blast I reckon... make it something minimal and light like what you've done there and she'll be a little ripper round the suburbs and in the twisties

sigpic

Comment

Yeah a twin is the goal. Just wish they made a bigger GS Twin. There are some Kawasakis which look interesting, and I even like the idea of an early 80's BMW R80. There are a few Suzuki GR650s here - they would need a bit more work on the frame for me but they look like a really cool bike. I don't want another V-twin. I've had a couple of Kawasaki V-twins and still have my Harley. I would really like a parallel twin.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                    Yeah a twin is the goal. Just wish they made a bigger GS Twin. There are some Kawasakis which look interesting, and I even like the idea of an early 80's BMW R80. There are a few Suzuki GR650s here - they would need a bit more work on the frame for me but they look like a really cool bike. I don't want another V-twin. I've had a couple of Kawasaki V-twins and still have my Harley. I would really like a parallel twin.
                    Hmmmm.... you might be surprised at how the little twins go, my 450 is just fine for me at the moment and it's only the highway stuff that can get a bit much at times. Mind you, it's not going to have the same acceleration as your 1100

There's also the more modern GS500's but probably the GR would be the way to go if you're looking at something a little larger...

sigpic

Comment

So now I have finally got my carbies sorted - and learnt volumes along the way! - I have been riding the crap out of the bike. Love it. I now have #20 pilots with 130 mains, needles on the second click from the bottom. I've been amazed at how sensitive the mix screws are when you get really close to tuning it right.

So I put my little Lumix camera in my pocket for a ride last week:

Comment

Those pictures make me want to get mine up and running.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I often notice that you have one of these. Do you have a build thread for it? Are you in the north of California or are you north of California, ie Oregon?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
                            I often notice that you have one of these. Do you have a build thread for it? Are you in the north of California or are you north of California, ie Oregon?
                            Yes I have one with 17k miles on the clock which someone gave me a year ago April. I just got the paper work last weekend to try and get it registered. I really haven't had the money to get a decent start on it. I've picked up a battery, o-rings, pulled the carbs, found a used tank, rear cowl and some stock mirrors. It sits here waiting at this thread... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ht=newg&page=4

North of California refers to my reluctance to be lumped with urban coastal sterotype of California. Yes, I'm in California, 22 miles from the Oregon border and I was born in the Golden State. The "State of Jefferson" is based upon an actual event to seperate Southern Oregon and Northern California from their respective states and form a new one. Pearl Harbor ended the attempt.

I'll be looking back at your thread when I get into it. Johnny Drumond tells me I need some carbs like your, so thanks for the jetting work. Cheers.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Wow. It's really interesting what you can find out on these pages. I have heard about the state of Jefferson thing, but it was a while ago and it's all very vague! I've been to San Fran and Yosemite and driven between them (on the wrong side of the road) and there is some beautiful country up there.

Looks like it is a great bike. Obviously there are some cosmetic issues (!) but 17K? Mine had way more than that and is a good runner. I got my carbs (mikuni RS36) from http://www.dynoman.net/.

You know I spent so long getting the carbs running sweetly but thought I should try the 17.5 pilots. So I did and they are too lean for my bike and I have put back the 20 pilots. But it still doesn't run as well as it did before! AAAArgh! I think a slight tweak of the mix screws should fix it. Your bike will undoubtedly be different, but with K+N pods and stock-ish pipes I have 130 mains, 20 pilots, needle at one click from the bottom (ie the rich side of middle) and the screws a 1/4 turn out.

I am so envious that you appear to have the stock pipes. That is a huge bonus right there. I really wanted a 4-2 like the stock pipes but with more of a reverse cone. Your pipes look great. Mine are slightly different under the pegs which I like but I would prefer not to have spent all that money on new pipes. They were SO hard to fit, especially as it turns out that the guy who made them based them on a different bike's pipes. Sigh.

Comment

A good link to the history of the State of Jefferson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffers...cific_state%29

cg
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                                X