No announcement yet.

Another Aussie GS rebuild - GS1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HA ha ha ,thanks over 30 years of mucking about in engineering shops will do that!,as I maybe mentioned I spent 10 years working for an acoustic guitar maker in the finishing shop,so I've seen a few guys build electric guitars(and had the odd one in for repair),one guy brought in a Fender Strat and asked one of the lads to replace the white plastic scratchplate with pink perspex!,we also had to make scratch plates for the upper waist(back and side) for an acoustic or 2 due to the owner liking to wear big belt buckles and having an "enthuastic" playing style.Hey I also forgot to mention the idea I had for the lettering style-you used to make valve amps?-why not copy the lettering style of granddaddy Jim Marshall???? just a thought.Johnny

Comment

Ok I think it's between "Morton"and this one:

When I was building a lot of amps I thought about logos a lot, because an amp doesn't look finished without one. I built a few Marshall style amps - in fact I built a few where all the controls went to eleven! - but I would never put a Marshall logo on an amp that wasn't a Marshall. So on all my amps I would put a "Cowboy brand" logo. I used a slightly altered version of an old logo I found in a book of logos. Believe it or not Cowboy brand was an Irish brand of veterinarian products! It was a script style logo so looked good on Marshall style amps.

Comment

This is good stuff Jimmy, really like the creativity.

Johnny, for my flyscreen I used a heat gun but it took forever to heat up enough to bend, although it's a lot larger area than a logo would be. I used my old bikini fairing as the mould for the shape.

Jimmy, have you tried GS1100 in that style? I reckon you might be able to pull it off by having the top of the G swoop over like the N...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Just a little update - not much going on because the frame is still at powdercoat. Sigh. But I have been promised it will be ready this thurs so I can start putting things back on over easter.

I collected the fenders from the blasters today and immediately dropped them off at the anodiser. So far they look perfect - exactly what I wanted. They have a slightly sparkly, textured finish that is very delicate but the anodising will harden the finish up. So I can't wait to get them on the bike. So much more interesting than shiny.

Comment

Oooh sounds good Jimmy! That should be some good fun over Easter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pete - I really hope that the frame is ready. I'll be more than a little miffed if it's not... And I'm actually really excited about how the fenders/mudguards have turned out so far. I haven't seen this finish done before in this application. I am a huge fan of non-traditional finishes, and finishes which aren't shiny. I love texture and natural material finishes. The only bikes I have seen that I really don't like are those ridiculous long-forked choppers that are painted in garish colours and they're all bondo and paint. I like to see the metal - no filler!

Comment

The colour combo between the badges and tank look awesome. actually it all seems to blend really nicely, grips e.t.c
                Cant wait to see it next week.

Comment

Thanks Landshark! I'm really liking the colour scheme too. It just kinda happened in a way. You can tell I'm busting to get back into it - I've been 'shopping how it might look when finished:

But when it IS finished, the mudguards will be satin, there will be a taillight and number plate, and the carbs will be smaller. Battery box will look different too - that's just a photoshopped approximation. Please excuse sloppy, too quick photoshop!

Comment

Jeez this thing is gonna look great when it's done. I wasn't sold on the textured thing in the beginning but you know what your doing. Something about it really ties the bike together. Cant wait to see the finished bike.

What are your plans for a tail-light? I hope your not just gonna stick the stock light back on! One of those cool vintage 'stop' units would be awesome. Don't know how or where you could find one, but it would look sweet...

Comment

Those lights are cool! But I already have my rear light sorted:

It's from Japan - there are some really great parts coming out of Japan these days because the custom bike scene is huge there. Quite different from the chopper scene in the US, there is seemingly more variety and the whole Brat thing is very popular.

Comment

That is actually very similar to the 'stop' light. I like it, slim and not too bulky. Shame the number plate is so wide though but what can you do about that... Gotta keep it legal.

It might look better under the fender, IDK just a thought.

Comment

Funny you should say that... Originally I intended to have a much shorter rear fender and have the plate overhanging it, acting a bit like part of a fender. I've seen that done before and liked it. But I tried this, having never seen it quite like this before and I like it even better! I could probably get a narrower plate but would rather spend the money on "real" bike parts.

And where I live it is a requirement that the number plate be illuminated, and the taillight does this. The thing is I actually like how the rear looks now - It's unlike any other bike really, even though it's only a little thing. It's kind of classic but minimal or something.

When I did my Harley I went for lots of textures in the finish - my tanks and fenders are finished in texture black powder coat and all the metal surfaces are satin. Not long after I finished it HD came out with the "Fatboy Low" which has a lot of the same ideas. They copied me!

Comment

I'm with ya' Jimmy, I like it too!

sigpic

Comment

Yay! I picked up my frame and a bunch of parts from the powder coater today. Very happy! They look great - the texture black is beautiful. I already have the stands, swingarm and forks on. I had spent quite a lot of time cleaning the bearings for the swing arm as they were filthy and rough. But I priced new ones and not only were they expensive they would take a month or so to get via the local Suzuki guys. So I cleaned the original bearings and after all that work they have come up well and work perfectly. The swing arm is very smooth now.

Anyway, here is what it looks like tonight:

The finish is beautiful - not sure if it shows up here but worth a try:

Comment

That looks great Jimmy! And just in time to start putting her back together over Easter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X