GS450 powered go kart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 powered go kart

I have been working on this go kart for a long time. I'll work on it for a couple weeks then put it away for a couple years. I'm in the final stretch now and hope to get it done very soon. I got it running. Had some trouble with the carbs but I'm getting it worked out. I will be putting a stock air filter on it very soon. I trashed it long ago when i stripped the bike, not knowing how important it is.

Anyway here it is. It has ATV front suspension. I made the frame out of 1"x1" steel square tubing. It was going to have rear suspension for a while but then I ditched that idea.

The beginning, 7 years ago.

2 years ago

Last couple weeks.

Video of it running
    Homemade beast of a gokart I made. Hooked everything up and wanted to make sure the engine ran before I went any further. Still needs some tuning and more ...

looks cool and could be a lot of fun but im not sure about that large fuel tank sat above my head, maybe a smaller tank re sited somewhere else with a pump if needed
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That does look like it would be some fun.

I'm not so worried about the position of the fuel tank. I'm more interested in whether there will be anything to help with cooling the engine.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        That does look like it would be some fun.

I'm not so worried about the position of the fuel tank. I'm more interested in whether there will be anything to help with cooling the engine.
        roll it flip it crash it, fuel tank bursts, petrol on head and body, hot exhaust, ouch, hospital, burns unit
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That's gonna be a blast!

But I +1 both comments above... would definitely move that fuel tank and are you going to put some ducts for air flow either side of the seat or something?
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I think the tank will be fine. I'm not going to be going crazy on this thing but I'm treating this as a prototype so I the tank location could be moved in the future.

I was thinking about putting wings on the side to direct the flow of air to the engine. I may put a little fan or two on it if I can find a small one. I have a bog one for a car, maybe I'll put the somewhere on it.

Comment

Originally posted by david636 View Post
              I think the tank will be fine. I'm not going to be going crazy on this thing but I'm treating this as a prototype so I the tank location could be moved in the future.

I was thinking about putting wings on the side to direct the flow of air to the engine. I may put a little fan or two on it if I can find a small one. I have a bog one for a car, maybe I'll put the somewhere on it.
              Cool, sounds like you've got it covered

Cooling wise I guess all depends on how fast you'll be going... as long as there's decent air flow being directed at the fins it should be ok.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I know you don't plan to go crazy but trust me, stranger things do happen when we least expect it.

Looks nice though. I'd like to do something like that for my kids but I think I would opt for a smaller engine.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That thing will be a blast !!!

As stated, just ensure you cool the engine and if it were me, I'd just build a sturdy cage around the fuel tank and leave there....maybe put some lights up there too.

Make sure you post up the final product !!!
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ohh buddy, I had this idea when I got my Gs1000 a while back, but when I thought ehhh im not gonna go hog wild.. yeah thats not how it turned out. ended up selling it all and building this.

Comment

Working...
                    X