Got er dunn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got er dunn

Finally finished my 79 gs750/850 conversion. Starts immediately and idles nicely @ 1k. I did not do a frame off restoration as I wanted a daily driver, not a museum piece. I did however replace all wheel bearings, swingarm and steering bearings. Every gasket in the engine was replaced with OEM gaskets including the base and oilpan. New valve stem seals were also installed.New 530 sprockets and chain and tires. Rebuilt both master cylinders and all calipers.All bullet connectors replaced with spade type. Can't wait for spring to go drive the hell out of it for break in. Total cost including the purchase price was just under 2500.00 Not too bad for what is now pretty much a new bike.

Nice job ! looks great.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

It does look great! Congrats

Comment

Beauty and it sure is nice being able to kick it to life, eh?

Daniel

Comment

Fantastic work! Bike looks amazing.

Comment

SWEET - how about a few more pics

Comment

nice job on the jugs. did you paint them and sand the outer edges of the fins?

Comment

Very nice, yes, it does not look like a frame off resto was needed, it looks more than presentable as it is. Agreed, more pics....you know we like pics..

Comment

Originally posted by OLDENUFF View Post
                  Finally finished my 79 gs750/850 conversion. Starts immediately and idles nicely @ 1k. I did not do a frame off restoration as I wanted a daily driver, not a museum piece. I did however replace all wheel bearings, swingarm and steering bearings. Every gasket in the engine was replaced with OEM gaskets including the base and oilpan. New valve stem seals were also installed.New 530 sprockets and chain and tires. Rebuilt both master cylinders and all calipers.All bullet connectors replaced with spade type. Can't wait for spring to go drive the hell out of it for break in. Total cost including the purchase price was just under 2500.00 Not too bad for what is now pretty much a new bike.

I will be doing the same to my bike this winter, however, I am just curious as to "why" you replaced all the bearings, i.e., wheel, swingarm, and steering head. Is it just so you would know they are new? Did you check them first for any damage?

Thanks, Larry
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Job well done sir. You're going to be able to ride with confidence this spring that's for sure.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Nice work! Just got my 450 done and although mine was a frame off I have no doubt the feeling of satisfaction is exactly the same

She looks good and itching to go, bet you can't wait for winter to end!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

When I got the bike it had a tendacy to weave going down the road. That's why the new steering head and swingarm bearings. I did the wheel bearings at the same time just in case. The block was painted with VHT semi gloss black and then put on the belt sander to finish the edges. BTW I put the block in my shop sink filled with hot water and a bottle of dish soap. I then put a submersible pump in horizontally beside it and let it run for about 6 hours. It came out just like new.
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Nice work. Bike looks great and I'm sure will run great for a long time.

Comment

I like the way that you have weaved the ignition wires through the cam cover.
                            I have never seen anyone do that before.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                            X