Goal:REBUILD /81 GS400 --Challenge /DO AS MUCH OF THE WORK AS I CAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goal:REBUILD /81 GS400 --Challenge /DO AS MUCH OF THE WORK AS I CAN

Bikes been sitting in yard under cover for going on 12 years(dropped the thing as explained in my intro post) time has come to attempt the impossible ,try to get my license re-instated ..oh and build the bike up again. There is no time frame but I will hopefully have a garage to work in in March so was considering getting into the surface rust for now and doing whatever I can,preparing any rusty bolts getting the rims,m irrors etc back to their former glory.
    Basically I have no patience for rebuilds , tend to go straight to tantrum mode as soon as I hit the first obstacle so thiss is more a journey of enlightenment than a motorcycle rebirth.The entries will be few and far between I'd say but if I have any spark left at all there could be some fun along the way.
    Cheers for reading and keep your inbox clear because you'll be bombarded with questions and indecipherable rants requesting help or at worst a video of a bike on fire.

thumbnail 2 of 4

computer skills abound - need to seperate 4 photos into 4 replies to my own thread.

Comment

thumbnail3 of 4

3rd photo of current state of bike

Comment

thumbnail 4 of 5

photo 4 of 5

Comment

thumbnail 5 of 5

gee I'm remembering how much love I have for this bike

Comment

Hahaha hey mate glad to hear you're finally tackling the rebuild!

First of all, go get yourself a Photobucket account, then you can upload pic's and post up to 10 in one post.

Next, jump into the User CP and update your location (otherwise most members will assume you're in the US).

Then, familiarise yourself with the ordering process from Boulevard Suzuki or Part Shark in the US as that will be heaps cheaper for all your genuine Suzuki spares than buying locally.

You're welcome to trawl through my rebuild thread, after all I did go down to nothing and start from scratch, and I had no idea what I was doing either.

Good luck and keep us up to date!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

That looks like she is/was a fine old beauty there. Here's hoping it doesn't prove too difficult to get her going again.
              Sure she was under cover, but the question has to be asked, what came of the cam cover? Or was it a victim of the drop?

Comment

auntie cleaned house for us threw out what ever she felt like

"So what is this ah rubbish" Quote from auntie Doris.
                The cover was thrown out as junk,I was a victim of my fathers hoarding and messy garage,so I eneded up paying the ultimate price a piece of me was thrown out that day and I'm not sure if I will ever recover .The rebuild is a spiritual journey that will hopefully heal me along with the bike. The sequel to this soapie/film should take about 4 years to come to fruition because I am what I am ,a total illiterate when it comes to mechanics and my short fuse when I can't get to a bolt or figure out wtf is wrong at any 1 time should be a great help also.Do my best to be a decent member of this forum ,and would actuallly enjoy the work if I can get a handle on it.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2011, 10:21 AM. Reason: ADD ALBUM LINK

Comment

parts a plenty?

Originally posted by pete View Post
                  Hahaha hey mate glad to hear you're finally tackling the rebuild!

First of all, go get yourself a Photobucket account, then you can upload pic's and post up to 10 in one post.

Next, jump into the User CP and update your location (otherwise most members will assume you're in the US).

Then, familiarise yourself with the ordering process from Boulevard Suzuki or Part Shark in the US as that will be heaps cheaper for all your genuine Suzuki spares than buying locally.

You're welcome to trawl through my rebuild thread, after all I did go down to nothing and start from scratch, and I had no idea what I was doing either.

Good luck and keep us up to date!
                  Asfar as ordering parts go have you had any luck finding whole bikes here in OZ ?alternatively does customs allow whole bikers to be sent for spares? Taking the front wheel off work anymore?
                  Happy holidays everyone and a merry new year to all...
                  (BIKERS WAS A FREUDIAN SLIP)
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2011, 10:25 AM. Reason: FREUDIAN SLIP

Comment

Originally posted by manila re View Post
                    Asfar as ordering parts go have you had any luck finding whole bikes here in OZ ?alternatively does customs allow whole bikers to be sent for spares? Taking the front wheel off work anymore?
                    Happy holidays everyone and a merry new year to all...
                    (BIKERS WAS A FREUDIAN SLIP)
                    Hmmm I Haven't tried sourcing a whole parts bike, but keep an eye on eBay, local wreckers, and maybe even the Trading Post and you might spot something worthwhile.

Not sure on the customs side...

And a merry new year to you too
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X