Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS300L engine swap with GS450

Hello everyone,

I am glad I've stumbled onto this forum site as there seems to be a wealth of info here. Apologies in advance if this has been posted before but I could not find any answers in the search here or google.

Last year I did the unimaginable (to my friends, relatives and most sane people I've run into) and rode my 1982 GS300L to Winnipeg from Vancouver; a fantastic 2200 km ride (1375 miles to the unmetric) over 3 days.

Suzi kept up relatively well blowing a fork seal and stretching her chain along the way (that's what that clanking sound was!) but called it quits in Winnipeg a 100 km shy of our destination due to some electrical failure. So there she remains for the time being almost forgotten until I stumbled onto a local craigslist posting for a 1980 GS450:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...737260462.html

So my question is how different are the electrics on my bike vs this GS450? If modifications are required, what would I be getting myself into?

A thought that creeps into my mind is swapping the motor and everything into my 300 frame. A call to my local shop says it's not possible or worth it but I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone has experience with this.

I see someone else was considering the same swap here but hasn't followed up

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2011, 04:57 PM.
Working...
X